Question on 40mm rounds....

Globalsecurity says:

Both the HE and HEDP rounds have 5-meter burst radii against exposed troops.

HEDP can furthermore penetrate 2 inches/5 cm of steel.

Apparently, there is no drawback in using HEDP against infantry. On the other hand, attacking vehicles with HE only should be futile.

Best regards,

Thomm

Links:

M383 / M384 40mm HE (high-explosive) cartridges

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m383.htm

M430 HEDP (high-explosive, dual-purpose)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m430.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/grenade-launcher.htm

So when I am acquiring ammo it is a good idea to grab some of both, I assume, and my boys will determine on their own which one to fire, right?

Based on the information above, I would take only HEDP.

It would be interesting to hear whether BFC treats the two types of grenades differently in terms of effects on infantry or not.

Best regards,

Thomm

Thomm,

I was playing Red Pepper and very low on ammo and hordes of infantry all over the place so I just needed something to shoot. 5.56 was being rationed out so I was resorting to 40mm as a backup when the 5.56 was all gone.

Had at least 2 squads shooting only 40mm at one point before the last reinforcements came.

Even my sniper's buddies were reduced to 40mm....

I've seen few very bad things happening to my Syrian infantry if they receive 40mm grenades from Marines. Is that HEDP more useful against buildings in CMSF? As it seems to cause much bigger damage to infantry. I rarely have seen bad causalities when US Army guys puts 40mm into building, but Marines seems to be capable to wipe out half of squad with single 40mm grenade (if they are packed into small space. Or have i been just in bad luck?

It would be logical to be able to cause more wreck in houses as some walltypes (brick is one of them if i remeber correctly) can form shotgun effect with secondary fragments from HEDP's penetration powerz.

The Marine's Manual, p. 18, mentions that the M32 launcher uses the "Hellhound" (synonymous with the HEDP per the manual) and the "Draco" thermobaric rounds. See the above links for more on them.

I don't know if Army units in the base module have the same rounds.

Regards,

Ken

The Marines can put out a vastly higher number of grenades too, you may be witnessing the difference between 1 grenade and several.

I play turn-based nowdays (thanks to blue bar!) and could check it right away and it's clearly individual grenade which has done it.

I'd hope that we could get more information of weapons and ammo which squads are having. For example Syrians with RPG-7 and tens of different warheads is bit messy. This 40mm issue is same, who has MOUT-killers and who doesn't... Ofcourse i would never bother to check them anyways :D But i got my change to whine.

It would be interesting to hear whether BFC treats the two types of grenades differently in terms of effects on infantry or not.

Right. The two types may have the same burst radius, but that doesn't imply the same effect within that radius. Perhaps HE just throws out more splinters: they don't fly farther, but the kill zone is a lot denser.