Fork in the Marine Campaign?

Well, I've decided to give the Marine Campaign a serious go. I haven't played the campaigns much because Its frustrating (although realistic) to have to be so careful with force preservation. But I figured I should take another shot at them because they contain so much content and the scenarios seem really well-made.

So anyway, about my question: I've just completed Mission 4, with the forking campaign objective. I chose the Eagle objective, because a head-to-head brawl with the Syrians seems like it would be to my Marines advantage (as long as I can keep my distance). I see now that I have chosen to kick off the infamous Pooh mission... oh boy! :o

So, my question is: What am I missing by chosing the Eagle objective? I am happy with my choice but I am wondering if its worth it to go back and play the other route as well. What sort of missions/maps/forces are presented on the other campaign fork? What fork did ya'll choose, and what would you choose if you did it again?

Well, I've decided to give the Marine Campaign a serious go. I haven't played the campaigns much because Its frustrating (although realistic) to have to be so careful with force preservation. But I figured I should take another shot at them because they contain so much content and the scenarios seem really well-made.

So anyway, about my question: I've just completed Mission 4, with the forking campaign objective. I chose the Eagle objective, because a head-to-head brawl with the Syrians seems like it would be to my Marines advantage (as long as I can keep my distance). I see now that I have chosen to kick off the infamous Pooh mission... oh boy! :o

So, my question is: What am I missing by chosing the Eagle objective? I am happy with my choice but I am wondering if its worth it to go back and play the other route as well. What sort of missions/maps/forces are presented on the other campaign fork? What fork did ya'll choose, and what would you choose if you did it again?

I think heading onto Pooh is the better option. The other way is decidedly flatter and definitely not as challenging.

That said, its a game and why not just do them both?

Speaking of the Campaign, the scenario that has you holding the line on the hills opposing the Syrians advancing is probably one of the worst there, Im not knocking the designer as the map is good, but the Syrian AI in it is Uber dire.

The Syrians mill around on the hill, then decide to advance, then mill around a bit more and even if they reach the end of the map, guess what, they mill about waiting to be killed.

The Ai in this game just isnt good enough to support a Syrian assault of this type.

Both it is then! I am always a fan of Having My Cake and Eating it Too!

GSX I know the mission you are talking about it- i quite liked it, although the AI movement orders are a bit wonky. When I played the T-62s showed up and slowly advanced to the bottom of the valley. They then proceeded to turn and drive parallel to my lines, giving me nice side and rear shots...:rolleyes: Best part about that mission is watching your multitude of grenade launchers unload on the Syrian APCs while they try to unload their passengers...

If I had time to play only the Marines Campaign or the "stock" campaign -- having so far given both of them a wide berth because of bugs and bad pathfinding -- which would you guys recommend? I do not yet own the Marines module and intend to get the Brits so the Marine Campaign would have to come highly recommended over the regular Campaign to justify the diversion.

Though I enjoyed the Army campaign, the Marine campaign is much, much better. Which makes sense, considering the designers had an extra year's worth experience when they crafted it.

I would also agree with this statement. This is not a knock against the great scenarios in the Army campaign. Obviously as the scenario designers have become more comfortable with the incredible depth of the campaign editors, they get better at making them.

I would also agree with this statement. This is not a knock against the great scenarios in the Army campaign. Obviously as the scenario designers have become more comfortable with the incredible depth of the campaign editors, they get better at making them.

The Army campaign is OK, actually I re-did this under V1.11, not having tried it since about 1.06 or so.

I would agree somewhat with the above, but if you havent played it in 1.11 its well worth another go. For a start its a much smoother version and secondly, if you have been playing this game for a while you will find that your tactics have improved a lot too.

The Army campaign is OK, actually I re-did this under V1.11, not having tried it since about 1.06 or so.

I would agree somewhat with the above, but if you havent played it in 1.11 its well worth another go. For a start its a much smoother version and secondly, if you have been playing this game for a while you will find that your tactics have improved a lot too.

You'll also find that tactics you may have used before won't work now that the Syrian RPGs are deadly accurate super weapons.