problems with user made scenerios

I doubt there are many scenarios that are still designed for v1.0 of the game. If you are running the game without a patch STOP NOW.

Honestly, download all the latest patches because it is such a different game with all the updated, the first release was very rough but the game has shaped up nicely since!

You can tell the version of the game at the bottom of the menu screen

actually how do i know what version i have?

When you're in the main screen, it should say "v1.[whatever]" at the very bottom in the center.

DEFINITELY get 1.11. It's so much better than 1.0, it's not even funny. Also, keep in mind that some scenario designers forget to say which version they have. Also, CMMODs only goes up to 1.10, and now that 1.11's out . . . ;)

• 2 months later...

So, let me see if I can get this right.

I'm trying to down load and play Small Gain MkII, from the Repository.

I've got CMSF/Marines updated to V 1.11.

I'm guessing Small Gain is a verison 1.0 scenario, but it does NOT show up in my battle list.

I've uploaded Eid Offensive (a version 1.1 scenario) and it DOES show up in my battle list.

So scenarios that were made in version 1.0 will NOT work in CMSF patched up to 1.11.

This seems to be correct.

Gpig

To clarify for newcomers:

All older scenarios will work in newer versions of CMSF (1.11 being the latest patch), but scenarios made with newer versions of CMSF will not work in older versions of CMSF.

When a designer puts "v.1" or "v.2" or some such on their scenario, they're probably referring to the version of the scenario, not the version of the game. Many designers continually update their best scenarios.

It's important to note that campaign files (.CAM suffix) and scenario files (.BTT or .BTB suffix) go in different folders in the Game Files directory.

Also, you have to unzip them before they show up in the list. :)

Oh! Are .rar file a kind of compressed file? Like Zipped files? I'll check it out, thanks!

*learning learning learning*

Gpig

Yep. .RAR files are apparently a bit more efficient than .ZIP, so a lot of modders and scenario designers use WinRAR instead of WinZIP. Google WinRAR to get the program (it's freeware).

Things also get a bit confusing even when old scenarios can run on new builds. I had to rework and repost a few of my earliest scenarios once the game hit patch v1.08. Things had changed so much by v1.08 that a lot of the most basic 'game mechanics' assumptions no longer applied. Then patch v1.11 killed outright my "The King Copper Mine Riots" scenario - I was using the game's 'spies' as hoards of civilians. They altered how spies are spotted in-game. My scenario sank like a stone. :)