"Warping in" of American ships.

I don't think it is correct for the American player/A.I. to be able to "warp in" his ships to Pearl Harbor when it is under Japanese control. I have total control of Pearl, yet the A.I. is constantly sending ships by the "shortcut". This allows a free attack and then the ability to run away unopposed. I have a Picket line of ships off the east coast of Hawaii but the American ships appear behind me.:mad:

Furthermore, as myself and others have noted, Scripts allow reinforcement with land troops where it would not be possible. the examples I have come across are reinforcement of US held islands when Japanese have > 10 warships nearby and the US has none. A troop transport would not make it!! In a few cases its legitimate if the forces are raised locally, mostly they are not.

I think its easy to improve. Script should be something like reinforcement has 30% chance per turn if event triggers are right UNLESS IJN warships within X tiles outnumber US warships within X tiles by > 2-fold AND are > 2 in number.

The numbers do not matter, and its not perfect, but effectively it lets you blockade which is a legitimate military tactic. Otherwise, reinforcement appears to be by teleportation. I know the US has advanced technology, but its not THAT good ;-) This becomes important, to invade Hawaii you should isolate it. You cannot stop home guard being recruited but other external should be stoppable.

If we really want to get sophisticated could count carriers and land-based air in range vs air.

Yeah, Colin, that is a consequence of Hubert's design philosophies, for good or bad. Then again a very recently released naval wargame which attempted to model such things so far hasn't quite done it for me. Sure, I'd love sea supply/sea reinforcement to be modeled accurately-in general I very much dislike "teleporting" goods & troops (if not whole units) which magically appear in an island 3,000 miles away from the home country, but it does make for a rather streamlined gaming experience. The playability vs. realism debate may never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction.

John,

Agreed it is design philosophy, but as I suggested, surely the script just has to be a bit more subtle and take account or a few more contingencies to improve the matter. Sure, it will not be perfect but it does not add complexity for the player. In the example I give you just have to play the game according to WWII logic, basically if I control the sea then enemy will not be able to ship reinforcements though my forces. Its not perfect (I would rather sink reinforcements, and they perhaps should be diverted elsewhere) but its better.

In H v H games I'd far prefer a lot more stuff on the build stack and off script so I can decide if paratroopers show up near Singapore, for example.. They must have been trained and shipped from Japan. Some things, such as formation of Pro-Japanese forces in Burma need to be script OR specified placement (you can only place in Burma so you cannot place them unless you hold Burma, though I admit having them pop up every turn to be placed could get irritating but perhaps a script could handle this - only add to Build stack if Burma held by Japan).

I do understand AI cannot coordinate this stuff as well and does need scripts.

Hi Stitch

The reason for putting in the arrows was to save players time. Having the loops there means that the US doesn't have to manually sail large numbers of naval units from the west coast of the USA to Hawaii. As a result, you have more time to actually play the game!

Bill