Omaha beach done ASL style

Peterk

I remember back when CMBO first came out, a lot of people wanted to do beach landings.

There's an ASL module in playtest right now doing all of Omaha beach that's looking very interesting. The map looks absolutely incredible.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=79067

Most of the scenarios appear to take place a bit inland. Also, interesting that most of the players are saying that the big beach landing itself is a lot of fun to play in spite of the horrendous US dead pile. Looks like they've got the victory conditions just right to make it fun for both sides.

I can face all the german MGs and arty...but I don't know if I have the courage to face those Landing craft rules, myself. Took me 13 years to finally learn the night rules. :)

Just in case anyone is interested and hasn't seen it yet.

I'm hosting ASL game day at my house on the 10th GWDWD if you want to come up and play. A regular opponent of mine (well, regular as in I played him last month) who's a professor at Baylor is bringing a "newbie" that I'm playing/teaching in our first game. You could play against Kevin who could be teaching you at the same time. ;)

CM blows compared to ASL - IMVHO of course. Nothing (gaming wise) beats sitting across the table from your opponent as the all important CC ambush die rolls fall in the critical CC in a victory hex location. Don't get me wrong, I obviously very much enjoy CM but I hate when any game thinks that it knows what it is that I want to do and proceeds to do it for me. I love fingering up my ASL counters.....:drool:

Thanks - brings back memories. Reminds me of why board game owners don't own cats.

Also having children is best avoided. What you want is a wife who is so into her career that she doesn't want any children. Also a plus is if she earns enough so that you don't have to work and can stay home all the time and play wargames. I don't know why a sharp chick like that would want to be married to such a loser, but women do crazy things for "love".

Michael

CM blows compared to ASL - IMVHO of course. Nothing (gaming wise) beats sitting across the table from your opponent as the all important CC ambush die rolls fall in the critical CC in a victory hex location. Don't get me wrong, I obviously very much enjoy CM but I hate when any game thinks that it knows what it is that I want to do and proceeds to do it for me. I love fingering up my ASL counters.....:drool:

+1

I also like the fact that I can see the game mechanics behind the gameplay. many a times in CM I find my elite troops hiding in dense woods spotted by a tank at 300m and i think, 'WTF?' lol I may not agree with the game mechanics in a board game but at least they are available to the player.

Then again, computer 'referee' has made rules lawyers almost extinct. Some have developed house rules so that they could still practise meta lawyering, but you're not going to become a celebrity that way.

I think fog of war is also better done in CM compared to ASL (imho), but then again, i'm not a rules lawyer so I may be done stuff completely wrong! haha

I did play a few ASL double-blind scenarios that were a blast! However, we needed 3 players and two sets of the game which is a PITA.

I've been having a lot of fun the last few months playtesting solitaire rules for a campaign game in central Stalingrad (Valor of The Guards). Awesome! German attacking during the day, Russians counterattacking at night....buildings changing hands over and over, German commander being very nervous about having enough guys to hold the line. It's a lot of rules to learn (basic ASL + the CG rules + the solitaire rules) but very, very immersive... and when the "AI" attacks, it's actually quite deadly depending on how it gets rolled up.