to turn off the hidden combat for naval units? Seems like I can't move without getting hit, a sub even got caught by an AC, and allied ships never get caught. Very unrealistic imo and I'd like to turn it off. I can understand ambushing in land combat but not naval so much.

Moving your subs in silent mode will reduce the chances of them taking a nasty bump should they encounter an enemy ship. It doesn't eliminate the chance of damage, but they will generally go straight through enemy formations.

Air units and carriers are the real key to spotting at sea. Obviously there are risks involved, very big risks if your carriers lack long range air, so sometimes it's better to avoid any naval clashes until your research level is higher or the enemy fleet have sailed into sight of your territory or ground based air.

It yes they do if they are in the spotting range of your air.

So if you have long range technology and upgrade your units with it, you will get better spotting.

If you send out your carriers you can find the enemy. The key is surrounding those carriers so they are protecting from attack.

Now I understand why my axis ships kept having problems. The UK had a carrier in the north sea and in the med and therefore had better spotting. So I kept running into them and getting surprised.

However, I think that when a ship gets surprised, as compared to a land unit, it should have second strike capability even at half strength. This would be more realistic.

Probably even land units should have second strike capability at half strenth - sometimes - when they are surprised.

Well, guess your not fun.

You could check on this yourself, perhaps there is already a counter punch to a surprise attack (note Subs have a very low defece so there would be no damage if its surprsed when moving).

There is a lot packed into the SC games HC produced and one of the best parts if learning these through playing them.

Editing my post at #8.

Now I understand why my axis ships kept having problems. The UK had a carrier in the north sea and in the med and therefore had better spotting. So I kept running into them and getting surprised.

However, I think that when a ship gets surprised, as compared to a land unit, it should have second strike capability even at half strength. This would be more realistic.

Probably even land units should have second strike capability at half strenth - sometimes - when they are surprised.

When the unit is surprised it still gets to retaliate, although since it is surprised that retaliation is reduced.

So the way I see it does pretty much what you mention.

Hyjacking this post!

Is there a way to 'force' the Siberian Transfer to just a historical date? I couldnt find anything in the script's except elimiting the transfer compleatly.

Thanks

You can just edit the script to 100% trigger on the date of your choice and change all the condition positions to a single entry that is never satisfied, i.e.:

#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [1,1] [1] [0]