Screen goes white

3dfx has commented to BTS that they've duplicated this problem and that it is a problem with their drivers. I'm not sure if this latest beta has fixed this problem or not. There are several threads in the Tech Support forum about this problem. I believe 3dfx began patching the driver for the v5500 first, so hopefully this latest BETA is a result of that work.

Voodoo3 BETA driver (8-23-00; v. 1.05.02):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo3/voodoo3_win9x_beta.stm

Nick Carter - This particular problem was with the Voodoo 3 & 5 series cards. It was driver related. If you're suffering the same problem, but you're using a TNT2, then you should update your driver. I'm using a TNT2 at home and I've never had a problem with the textures going white.

For the latest Reference drivers you can go here. Be aware that some users (mostly GeForce users to my knowledge) have had some mouse cursor corruption problems within CM while using the latest 6.18 Detonator3 drivers. You may want to consider downloading the 5.33 drivers also if you run into this problem. The 6.18 drivers apparently have a noticeable speed improvement (don't know how much of an improvement it will be on a TNT2 though).

Reactorcritical (go to TNT/TNT2 section):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

• 3 months later...

FYI everyone. This whiteout problem still exists using the latest drivers for the Voodoo 3000 dated 11-20-00. I've had this happen now three times in the last 5 hours or so of game time.

------------------

"Well, I will show you that before I was a marshal I was a grenadier, and I am still one." Marshal Jean Lannes, Ratisbon, 1809.

I had this BAD, about 5-8 turns every stinkin' single game and I had to restart. I uninstalled 3dfx tools, installed directx 8, and downloaded installed drivers v3-w9x which is ver, 1.07.00. It is so far so good, I'm two thirty turn games, one single player, one TCP/IP, into it now and the white-out is a no-show. Woohoo. Oh, OT but DON'T install WinME over your previous OS without uninstalling, (not just disabling) your virus protect. Most people probably knew better but alas, I didn't. Big mistake. If your OS goes fine for awhile then goes brain dead this might be your problem. You're are going to have to uninstall the virus software, maybe firewall if you are running one, purge the registry, and re-install the OS.

------------------

Are meteoriods any kin to hemorrhoids?

DX8 and the 1.07.00 official drivers fixed it for me, too. See http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000388-3.html

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com

• 1 month later...

There may be no fix for this since it is a driver issue primarily. Have you tried 1.05 to see if the problem also occurs with it (I'd guess that it would) ?

Does this happen only in certain battles (large ones) ? Do you have a lot of graphic mods loaded up ? I'm not sure if there would be any tie-in with a large number of high-res mods and a reoccurance of the 'whiteout' problem.

Thanks for the reply. I believe I had it whipped in 1.05 with the above mentioned driver/directx 8 combo. Yes I am running quite a few mods. I quess I can play around with that. I can live with it while playing the AI but when I have to reboot tcp/ip games is when it becomes a real liability. Who wants to play person that they have to restart/reboot with 2-3 times a game? Thanks again for the help Schrullenhaft.

[This message has been edited by Dalwhinnie (edited 01-23-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

I run a Voodoo3 3000 and had no problems with the white screen (V1.05) until after I loaded the V1.1 update. Around this time I also installed lots of mods (both Mad Dog packs and Magua's buildings). Not sure if I'm going crazy but it seems to only happen in winter settings.

I gave DX7.0a and last official 3DFX driver. Anyone seen any developments on this issue?

Hey guys,

I used to have the whiteout problem too. Started with the Voodoo3 2000 PCI card that I had. I later bought the Voodoo5 AGP card as soon as it dropped in price and had not seen the whiteout since. However, I had dropped resolution back to 1024x768 from 1280x1024 and had not played the scenario that always gave me the whiteout - All or Nothing. I had 256 meg RAM at the time and whenever I got the whiteout, If I had the NT Task Manager running in the background, I would immediately exit to the desktop to notice that the RAM allocation had spiked all the way past my 256 physical limit.

Last night I was playing a QB with rain, the first game with rain in it since I had last tried All Or Nothing, and happened to have a motherboard monitoring utility running in the background. I had forgotten that I had it running (hardly ever use it as I do not overclock) but during around turn 4 or 5, my PC speaker went off with a constant beep. The game immediately minimized itself to the taskbar and there was an alarm from the MBM4 monitoring utility on the screen that stated:

Alarm for +3.3 Voltage, it has reached 3.10 Volt and this is on/past the value of 5 percent which you set as alarm value.

I noticed that the NT Task Manager that was also running showed that RAM allocated had spiked from around 182 meg to around 260-270 meg. I recently added a 256 meg RAM stick to make my total 512 meg (since it is so cheap right now smile.gif). If I had the older 256 meg, I probably would have seen some whiteout tiles. I restarted the game and it happened two additional times, both times minimizing the game and showing the alarm that my voltage was 3.10-3.12 with the RAM allocation above 256 meg.

Why the voltage drop? Are you guys getting the whiteout with games using rain only? What resolution are you running at?

I don't have any of the Voodoo cards, but I wonder if the drop in voltage that brooktrout is seeing is due to the Voodoo 5 drawing more current ? I don't know anything about the "RAM spike". I'm guessing that it may be related to the Voodoo drivers having a bit of a hard time with the AGP texture memory (using system memory).

For those of you having problems with the texture white outs: try running at 1024 x 768 or less and see if this reduces the occurance/severity of the white outs.

I believe I read something on Reactorcritical or somewhere that NVidia was going to do some driver updates for the Voodoo 4/5 series (just a couple) sometime in the undetermined future. I don't know if they'll stick to that "promise", but there may be some hope that some issues might be addressed by NVidia.

I have a V5 5500 AGP. 256 MB of SDRAM, 300 MB swap file in Win95. I have the problem in All or Nothing (rain battle). The problem, as I see it, is that I'm swamping my video card memory. I run CM in 1024x758 with 4x FSAA and all hi-res mods. I only have trouble with the really large battles. Limiting the amount of stuff I see on screen does not seem to help. Turning off FSAA and using the single chip rendering fixes my problem. My guess is that it frees up quite a bit of memory when I do that. I could go back to low-res grass, but I love the muted velvet grass I'm using now, so I won't do that.

The other thing is, if you look, it's the 2d sprites that go white first (trees and tree bases). This happened one time and I exited the game, fired up Age of Empires, and received an directdraw error. This confirms (in my mind anyway) that it's the 2d sprites that are the culprit. My guess is that 2d textures and 3d textures are stored in different memory locations with a finite amount allocated to each. So I'm beginning to wonder if using low-res trees (which are the major 2d sprites in CM) will help overcome this problem. However, the problem happens so infrequently that I prefer to gag down the non-FSAA look and play single chip for that scenario.

Don't know what to suggest for V3s other than try using low-res tree mods.

Just my observations.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Originally posted by Brian Smith:

but how will I find out which bmps are the trees (I am using low-res grass)? Anybody know, or will I have to look at all the bmps one at a time?

Go to CMHQ and find some trees to download. Download and unzip, that should tell you which bmps they are. I'm using DD's hires trees and there are about 40-50 bmps in that zip file. Let us know if that works, eh?

Guys, tracked down some tree bmps to identify what files they were (thanks Juardis for pointing me to DD's) and restored low-res trees and bases.

Played a few turns of a tree-rich scenario that had been whiting out, last night, with no ill-effects. Will play longer with scenarios that have been problems before and will report back.

Smith out.

• 4 weeks later...