Truly Bizarre Computer Problem

Angus

I am running Win XP on a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. Two days ago, I started having a problem which I have never before encountered: the screen randomly freezes about three times an hour. What's strange is that it's only the screen that freezes; the computer apparently happily carries on with what it's doing, but seemingly forgets to update the screen, almost as if it were taking a snapshot of that moment in time for me to contemplate.

To free the screen from its trance, I simply have to hit the touchpad, and after a small glitchy flash, if that makes any sense, it returns to normality.

When this occurs while watching Youtube, the screen and video freezes, while the audio continues on. When I move the cursor, the video catches up with the audio, perfectly in sync. During a virus scan the screen froze again, apparently stuck at 0:10:25, though the hard drive indicator showed that the HD was working. A touch of the touchpad, and it jumps to 0:21:05, as if nothing had happened.

A virus scan and spyware scan revealed nothing.

So far, this has only happened with windows; I haven't tried to duplicate it with any games in full screen mode.

Any ideas as to what this might be?

Since it's a laptop and this appears to be happening at regular intervals (particularly when watching vids), have you considered that your laptop is just conserving battery power by turning off screen refresh? Seems a little weird, I admit, but I knew someone whose laptop did something similar and that was due to a certain energy-saver setting....If its 2 years old the battery may be getting weaker, prompting some auto setting to trigger now which it didn't do before (or at least not so often)

Sounds like the power saver is trying to engage but instead of turning the screen of it only freezes. See if changing the power saving settings fixes or alters the problem.

rclick on your desktop, click properties, then go to screen saver tab and click the power button to alter the settings. See if anything changes after you have made the changes.