Question for the "Fury Few" (Betas)

Haven't received my copy yet, but when I do I plan on playing my first game against the AI, I'll be the Japanese.

I plan on doing this as my first go at the new AI since back in the ole SC1 days and I'm wondering.....????

Since I feel I have comparable SC experience approaching the Betas, I would like to solicit their opinions as far as the settings for my first game in many a year against the AI.

I'm not going to read any scripts. I love going into a scenario,"sight unseen" with only my historical hindsight as my guide. I think it improves the FOW element and replicates to some degree the unknown nature of the future the original contingents may have felt.

So...totally unexperienced, no investigation other than refering to new unit mechanics, veteran SC player, PTO settings for the initial AI Allied opponent?

All suggestions welcome, but please..no game busters, not even a hint.

It's hard to give you suggestions without revealing any hints! Hopefully this won't be a game buster: Remember your historical hindsight! All I can say if you are going to go blind into it as the Japanese (as I did in the very first Beta version) is, Buckle Up and hold on for a crazy ride! Doing it this way can certainly add to the tension for sure. The AAR holds many hints, so you may or may not want to read that - your call.

As a Vet from the old SC1 days, I would suggest you totally disregard your old strategies on naval warfare. Placement, modes, and proper spotting techniques are CRITICAL in this campaign. I would actually suggest a quick mini-campaign to get used to the naval aspects - such as Midway. It's pretty quick, intense, and gives you a baptism by fire on naval manuevers (take the USA first). For Operation Z, don't change any settings and give it a go on basic levels (with FOW on) and default settings. Good luck!

If I were going for my first game against the AI, I would actually play as allies.

It can be pretty scary seeing the Japanese rampage across South East Asia and the Pacific, when you start with virtually no ground or air forces, and you have to cobble together multi-national task forces to get anywhere near having a navy that can do battle against the Japanese navy.

But as you'd like to play as Japanese, I think one of the basic principles of war contains the best advice: concentration of force, that is the key. Pick your objective and go for it!

And yes, I also advise giving it a try at maximum settings.

Awesome guys, much appreciated. Good idea CaptA, I will try the Midway scenario first.

Thanks Blashy, and what do you guys think about Bill's suggestion? I'm not totally locked in on the Japanese side as my first, I could just as easily go with USA.:confused:

Being a surfer, I'm addicted to the adrenalin rush.:cool:

Good to hear that the basics still hold true, a preponderance of force has always been my MO for SC games, a page from Monty's book.

MoonS, seems you tipped the scale, thanks, max settings it is.:eek:

I would not even play a mini one first, find out all that stuff in the thick of the action.

Play Japan first, cause within 2 years you will feel ALLOT of pressure to prepare for the Allied onslaught, remember you can not DEFEAT them outright, you have to win by resisting long enough.

Any experience SC2 player should go with Japan first, they are more difficult the first few times.

I dived right in playing Japan at the most difficult setting and never looked at the manual or scripts before doing so. I believe any SC2 vet should do nothing less if they wish to feel a challenge, especially anyone who has HvH experience, which I have very little myself if that offers any help.