Shooting yourself in the foot

Oh, you guys missed the best part of the whole story.

The gun went off after it began slipping down the inside of his sweatpants, and Burress fumbled while trying to reach it.

Little tip for you, that pricey Official NFL gear you want for Xmas?

Cheap elastic.

You can take the thug out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the thug. Or something to that effect.

If you need to be armed in order to go somewhere, perhaps you shouldn't go?

Sweatpants? In a nightclub? Can't he afford better threads than that?

Jailtime and lifetime ban from NFL would be nice. Plenty of other punks who are fast and catch. They need their chances to screw up and be forgiven.

Which reminds me. . . . Pacman Jones will be back playing again for Dallas. Are we placing bets as to his next misstep?

dieseltaylor,

I use the same expression you do. There's also SIW (Self-Inflicted Wound) from police jargon and the delightful Britishism, "own goal." Of course, not that long ago a Wicca priestess here dropped a sword through her foot while conducting a ritual in a cemetery.

Ah, America, the technologically diverse!

People,

Stephen Colbert covered this tonight on his show. See Colbert Nation site or YouTube for segment.

Regards,

John Kettler

Of course, not that long ago a Wicca priestess here dropped a sword through her foot while conducting a ritual in a cemetery.

To pick a nit...she actually stabbed her foot instead of thrusting the sword into the ground.

Why was she stabbing Mother Earth with pointy metal bits?

Why, to celebrate her recent good luck....which ended with a pointy metal bit in her foot.

Huzzah!!!!

That's harsh for something that doesn't as such harm anyone.

The fact that one is carrying a concealed firearm, in close proximity to a whole mess of people, is a dangerous situation. Especially, as in this case, the one carrying said firearm is at best a rank amateur with firearms, or at worst a sociopath with a penchant for violence. The fact he only wounded himself in this escapade is sheer providence.

In the more civilized parts of world you get less time for manslaughter if it's your first.

By your snippy tone, I assume by 'civilised parts' you are referring to the Gawd forsaken areas that surround the greatest nation on earth. feh, you can keep yer fancy, limp-wristed, Euro sensibilities and I'll take an extra box of 9mm.

The fact that one is carrying a concealed firearm, in close proximity to a whole mess of people, is a dangerous situation. Especially, as in this case, the one carrying said firearm is at best a rank amateur with firearms, or at worst a sociopath with a penchant for violence. The fact he only wounded himself in this escapade is sheer providence.

Of course it's dangerous, and what's worse is it's illegal. But driving a car with bad brakes and worn tires is also dangerous and illegal. Does that carry an automatic 3½ years jail time in New York? I don't know, but the point is: the punishment is in no relation to the severity of the crime itself. I bet it's meant to be some kind of hassle-free way to put gangsters behind bars, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't suck balls.

By your snippy tone, I assume by 'civilised parts' you are referring to the Gawd forsaken areas that surround the greatest nation on earth.

Now why would I be speaking of Sweden, Norway, Russia and Estonia by that term??? :confused:

mike_the_wino,

Didn't realize the Wicca priestess actually thrust the sword, but I bet it hurt worse in consequence. Regarding Mr. Burris and his attire, his "sweatsuit" probably cost more than a typical suit for most American men.

MeatEtr,

I never heard it called that, but I was rigorously schooled in it by my defensive pistol instructor, Jim Ness, at the Firing Line range in Northridge, California during the early 1980s. I used to go over there several nights a week and drill that procedure at around 10 foot range. Good thing no one broke into my place while I was in that mode, for I had Silvertips in both my H&K P7 and my Walther PPKS and was both quick and accurate. Got to the point where I could execute the procedure with my eyes closed, so good did my muscle memory become. I was taught to keep firing until I could see the soles of the target's feet.

Regards,

John Kettler

MeatEtr,

I never heard it called that, but I was rigorously schooled in it by my defensive pistol instructor, Jim Ness, at the Firing Line range in Northridge, California during the early 1980s. I used to go over there several nights a week and drill that procedure at around 10 foot range. Good thing no one broke into my place while I was in that mode, for I had Silvertips in both my H&K P7 and my Walther PPKS and was both quick and accurate. Got to the point where I could execute the procedure with my eyes closed, so good did my muscle memory become. I was taught to keep firing until I could see the soles of the target's feet.

Regards,

John Kettler

I have no idea why it's called that, perhaps sorta nickname it picked up not long ago. But from the sound of it, I wouldn't want to get into a shootout with you. Mind if I call you Vincent for now on? I know your not a ex-special forces sadistic hitman like Vince in the Collateral flick. But close enough! :D

Bumped into this slow motion

with some comments about the tactics used. Gotta love Micheal Mann movies, at least for the authenticity of the firearms tactics.