New HDD install advice

bodkin

Can anyone give me some advice, I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger HDD and wanted to know if I can mirror the old C: onto the new as to avoid re-installing and configuring all my software.

The other issue is will XP boot up ok from the new drive or do I have to call 'Steve' in India again and get interogated about my actions. 'Steve' gave me a new activation code when I installed it last time onto a new pc although I believe it's an OEM license.

If I can get away with mirroring the onto the new drive can someone recommend some programs that would do this.

Thanks for any advice.

Why not install the new harddrive as a 2nd drive (slave) in the system - then you won't need to do all the mirroring, etc. and will have even more storage space (trust me, it's never enough).

If for some reason that is not an option, then you can use something like Norton's "Ghost" to safely copy the contents of one drive to another.

To transfer the system, you must first install the disk in the computer. If your computer doesn’t have a bay for another hard disk, you can temporarily install it in place of your CD drive or use a USB 2.0 connection to the external target disk. If that is not possible, you can clone a hard disk by creating a disk image and restoring it to a new hard disk with larger partitions.

There are two transfer modes available: automatic and manual.

In the automatic mode, you will only have to take a few simple actions to transfer all the

data, including partitions, folders and files, to a new disk, making it bootable if the original disk was bootable.

There will be only one difference between these disks – partitions on the newer disk will be larger. Everything else, including the installed operating systems, data, disk labels, settings,software and everything else on the disk, will remain the same.