sound contact ? Pleaaaaaase....

LRC

Am I the only one missing the "sound contact" feature of CM1 ?

Here is one example, where the lack of this feature makes CM2 very unrealistic.

Scenario "hammertime " (warning !spoiler!): I know that tanks are hidden in the city, so I move squads very slowly in hunt mode. Even in this mode, they can not hear tanks behind a wall or a building (max distance 10meters)

=> net result: troop makes eye contact with tanks at very short distance = troop get blasted...

In real life these babies make enough noise to be heard from far away even in "silent mode".

Am I missing something ?

Sound contacts are in the game, but they are indicated by the same '?' icon as units you've lost sight of. If you have sound contact on a unit, you can move the camera to that area and hear sounds too - I've been able to hear troops talking in a building without spotting them, but only when I have my own units close enough to hear them.

About "Sound contacts are indicated by the '?' icon". Something is wrong here => In 1.10 veteran mode, there is just a wall between the squad (in hunt mode) and the tank but no ? icon shows up.

However, if you browse the map close to the ground (1 or 2 elevation) the engine sound is clearly audible. Not sure about voices (this was supposed to fixed in 1.10 vet mode)

About "why are vehicle engines always running". For heavy tanks this is the standard mode in operation.

That's interesting. I understand it would obviously apply to tanks manouevring for attack or defence, but tanks positioned in a town/village, awaiting possible attack? I would have thought silence would be the safer option until contact was made. Otherwise, theoretically, the engine could be running all day.

Well, interesting topic - though apologies for hijacking the thread. I'd never really thought about it before. Anybody know how long to start an Abrams or similar AFV? And the economics/practicalities of leaving the engine idling for two or three hours over starting up as and when necessary?

Starting m1 abrams gas turbine costs nearly 10 gallons of fuel alone. Have forgotten how long, but I think it also takes some time...

Takes a few seconds for the turbine to spin up, but nothing as slow as diesel. As I understand it, they don't like turning off the engine because the battery for the onboard electrical systems only lasts an hour. After that, you're stuck cranking the turret by hand, which I'm reliably informed is right next to punching yourself in the testicles in terms of desireability.

An Abrams burns as much gas at idle as it does at full throttle almost, that was part of the reason the Germans went with a diesel for the Leopard series.

As noted not running the engine at least some of the time will drain the battery and then you are SOL. If you're expecting contact, the engine is going to be running.

-Jenrick