CMSF 1.10 QBs - Not improved very much?

I have not played CMSF for many, many months now - but with the recent hype on the advances of patch 1.10 I thought that I would see if the QB functionality had yet reached that of CMBB, which I do still play regularly.

Accordingly I updated from 1.06 to 1.10 without problems.

I then tried a tiny QB ME, US army v Syrian army, playing single blue player, turn based, iron difficulty:

Here are the results of three attempts.

1st attempt - crash to desktop!

2nd attempt - after setting up the US forces and pressing the go button, I found myself with a view over the Syrians and giving orders to the Syrians.(?!) The game was running in real time, with no turns.(??) After about 5 minutes with no US forces visible I told the Syrians to surrender - Result US decisive victory with the US forces still in their setup zone where I had put them.

3rd attempt - crash to desktop!

Am I being unfair in giving CMSF only 3 tries?

Please let me know when (if) QBs work in CMSF.

Well it's pretty much common knowledge by now that QBs just plain suck in CMSF. But apparently it's not common knowledge that the QB system will be completely overhauled for the CMx2: Normandy game.

That's all well and good, but I honestly expected the bug that was *introduced* in 1.08 (#2 in the original post, where you end up commanding the side you did not choose, in a game that cannot be saved) would be removed in 1.10.

That's all well and good, but I honestly expected the bug that was *introduced* in 1.08 (#2 in the original post, where you end up commanding the side you did not choose, in a game that cannot be saved) would be removed in 1.10.

Please post any QB bugs and send whatever save file, or just map Pic or ANY other info that might help in locating the specific map , units, and game situation the bug occurs in. I cannot recall seeing anything of this nature since 1.05 and tested extensively with QB's for 1.10. Most certainly I would be very interested in getting to the bottom of this.

Please post any QB bugs and send whatever save file, or just map Pic or ANY other info that might help in locating the specific map , units, and game situation the bug occurs in. I cannot recall seeing anything of this nature since 1.05 and tested extensively with QB's for 1.10. Most certainly I would be very interested in getting to the bottom of this.

There was a 3 page thread about this bug, post v1.08:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=81861

The bug is identical in 1.10. And it is impossible to save a game file when this bug appears.

Currently, I'd say this happens with about 30-40% of QB attempts. I'm waiting for the CD version to arrive, so I can do a complete wipe of my install, and start over. Note, this did not work with 1.08, but I'm willing to give it a try again.

There was a 3 page thread about this bug, post v1.08:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=81861

The bug is identical in 1.10. And it is impossible to save a game file when this bug appears.

Currently, I'd say this happens with about 30-40% of QB attempts. I'm waiting for the CD version to arrive, so I can do a complete wipe of my install, and start over. Note, this did not work with 1.08, but I'm willing to give it a try again.

Good luck on the re-install. Here's what my testing problem his:

I use QB's to test for Bugs very frequently ( frequently = 1 or 2 games a day)and have not had the problem you described since 1.08 (again just not positive...but a long time back.) I suspect the bug may be map design at it's core so when you do your reinstall perhaps you could not load any new QB maps or Mods for a bit and see what happens. If/When you get this problem just let me know whatever you remember about the QB setup. I promise to dig hard to duplicate what you saw and present my results to BFC. Those of us who enjoy the QB style of battle all recognize the need to improve this part of the game.

OK. Sandy's description ..."2nd attempt - after setting up the US forces and pressing the go button, I found myself with a view over the Syrians and giving orders to the Syrians...." pretty much described my 1.08 and recent 1.10 QB experience = broken.

I tried again tonight on my MacBook Pro and QBs worked for the 1st time! :D

The only difference was the settings used Veteran, Real Time, and Random. Prior to this I had Beginner, Turn Based and specific settings like Tiny, etc.. The only QB maps in the folder are the new ones that came with CMSF v1.10 standalone patch ("Plain Jane"). I moved all of the old maps out to a separate folder.

What I do not understand is I know I tried @ 10 times testing if the QB feature was fixed in 1.10 with only the new 1.10 maps and no mods and QB did not work. Tonight it works! Hallelujah! Can I Have a Witness... because... I am witless as to why all of the sudden, tonight QBs work!

Thanks for your hard work MarkEzra.

CogNative

I wonder if all the pre 1.10 maps are OK for QBs now?:confused:

I would NOT recommend Scen maps be transferred wholesale into the QB folder. Here's the reason:

Scen maps will generally have VERY defined setup areas and AI Pathing that will not handle the myriad unit selection possibilities. Your just asking for a weird gaming result.

What you can do:

If you find a scen map interesting. Put it in the editor, delete troops (safe rather than sorry), Create nice sized setup areas, delete the AI plans for BOTH sides and make a few generally large AI plans. Finally go ahead and delete any preplanned arty and either create a couple of locations near/not on! setup areas...or just leave blank.

I wonder if all the pre 1.10 maps are OK for QBs now?:confused:

I believe that QBG made maps have proved reliable. Maybe I should just upload my QB Map file... after-all I'm the one saying I don't have any trouble! Lord that would be embarrassing when everybody's game just crashes! LOL

Would you mind telling me how many pre-loaded QB maps are on your clean Marine Install?

Thanks again for the Scen maps / QB tips.

"...how many pre-loaded QB maps are on your clean Marine Install?"

I will need to check on the number of maps and get back. I have a MBP & the Booty Camp issue... till we get the OSX CMSF+ Normandy 'upgrade'.

I have not purchased Marines yet. I am waiting for the hardgoods = old school. I removed all the QB . Scen maps and mods before I installed CMSF v1.10 standalone patch ("Plain Jane").

I forgot to mention last PM that while mucking with the Editor I noticed some Marines only maps AFTER I tried the QB feature that appeared to remain broken. I then removed the Marines only maps so I could easily stroll through the 1.10 maps. It was after removing the Marines only maps I noted this thread and tried QBs again and they worked!

Could this be a factor?

CogNative

"Marine" Maps were made in the 1.10 builds for Marine Module but should work perfectly fine for any QB match up. Since they have No troops of any kind it's just my own naming convention and nothing more. When testing the game in QB's I often used only those new "Marine Maps" with Army Red vs Red, UnCon...you name it.

A way to test If a particular QB map is functioning properly is to do a new QB Map file (rename the original with an added X or something) You can usually tell what the map will be for because the name will say Attk town or Meet Open or whatever. Then all you have to do is request to play that style game. This is how I test them before I submit them. If you should find ANY map not working properly than I'd sure like to know. I have a serious interest in getting this right.

Thanks. I will try your suggestion with the "Marine" Maps" only in the folder and report.

I checked @ 40 maps in my QB folder after removing the "Marine" Maps @ 25(?)to a separate folder.

Last PM I tried all settings to 'random' and QBs worked. Set size to 'tiny' and CTD x3. Then 'small' and got the problem Sandy described #2(side swap after set up) once! Went back to random and QBs worked fine. Then tried medium w/o any QB problems.

Is there an issue with the 'size' of the map setting in QBs?

CogNative

Your CTD...does it actually go to the desk top or just kick you back to main CMSF screen?

My understanding of Tiny, small, ect has more to do with units than maps actual size in meters. I'd point to the "QBG Large Maps" which just took a nice large map and called it Small, medium, large...by he way, these three actually will cover the full range from Tiny to huge.

I will check out Tiny and small (note: use these pretty often) x 10 and see if I can duplicate results. I appreciate you hanging in and helping sort through this.

Testing results No crashes, no wrong side instant blood baths.

Testing method:

Set all Random except for size (alternated tiny and small) times 10 QB setups. Played WEGO Blue and Red and always moved units during first turn. Allowed a couple of turns and ordered cease fire and examined both sides for any conflicts...(yes I did notice that sometimes AI units are facing the wrong way...BFC is aware of this issue)... A final thought My personal QB Map file contains 243 maps. So the QB generator has lots to choose from.

Thanks Mark & all.

The CTDs were send error report warning screens as I recall.

I think you are correct re: tiny-small, etc. being the # of units... at least it appears that way because I ended up on the same maps with more stuff.

Tried QBs with "Marine" Maps" only in the folder. Settings went from Tiny to Huge.

All worked (no Blue / Red swaps) but the range of maps selected was limited = QBs on only 2 different maps.

Yes, sometimes AI units are facing the wrong way.

The 'save' file for Large (15MB) was grayed out in the Saved Games folder.

Editor allowed me to open a few Marines maps (limited time so I only tried 3) but some Maps said Marines Module was required.

"A final thought My personal QB Map file contains 243 maps. So the QB generator has lots to choose from."

Sounds like a winner to me. I do have the "QBG Large Maps" sitting on the sidelines. Game time I guess?

Thanks again.

CogNative

Important note:

I was able to install new drivers for the MacBook Pro! ForceWare X 179.13 with INF.

Set 'Antialias / Multisample: ON' and for 1 hour while testing QBs and some Scenarios / Campaigns.

Results= NO "buzzing", NO "interrupt" to the system, NO stalls or corruption in video image!

:D:D:D

This is a major improvement in how the game looks. I think the FPS may have improved a tiny bit a well.

Maybe I should test a little more and post this in the Tech section?:confused:

How about uploading your folder somewhere so we can download it? :D

I only have 130 maps.

I am thinking about doing that. It requires I do some review work...Please do keep in mind the majority of my files are available on CMMODS as the QBG's. I do confess to some reworking of them here and there.

A quick visit to CMMODS and now my personal QB Map file contains 290 maps. :D So my QB generator can now generously generate speedy struggles. Tested for 3 hours late Pm and no problems! QBs in CMSF with the v1.10 standalone patch ("Plain Jane") work fine on my Mac Book Pro.:D

Thanks BFC for the game fix. Looking for to the Marines hard goods to be available soon. Thanks again Mark & All for the advice / suggestions.

CogNative