USMC Platoon Training Scenario Released

Hi,

My first scenario has been released to CMMods (my username there is yairiny). This is a training scenario, intended to be the first in a series of platoon-level training scenarios based around the USMC infantry platoon with various levels of support. In this scenario your platoon conducts an unsupported frontal assault on a fort.

I decided to make these scenarios as a training aid to new players and also because they allow you to practice basic skills and display the capabilities and limitations of the USMC infantry platoon without getting lost in a host of other vehicles and support elements' capabilities. If there is decent uptake of this scenario I will proceed to create more, based on a long list of excellent suggestions by theFightingSeabee.

Cheers

Great idea. P.S. - If you do a series of them, why not make them into a "Paris Island" campaign. You could have some scenarios pit your platoon against other training platoons of like-equipped Marines, then a few against Marines posing as OpFor with Russian equipment to give your men a better feeling for what they might face. As a finale you could have a sudden military emergency throw your rookie platoon into a real fight to invade some tiny banana republic somewhere, like in the movie "Heart Break Ridge". :)

Yair just played this through and really enjoyed it :) a simple mission but well executed. I think a 'course' like this could really help to put armchair generals through their paces and get you thinking about using the things you've practised here in normal missions where you may not have an explicit suggestion about employing them.

Agreed with TFS, those two M240 squads literally saved my virtual men lives. I ended up with 4 KIA and 8 WIA... OpFor made a lucky sniping shot with an AT (at least i think it was some kind of AT :P ) and made the guys of the 1st Squad think twice before keep advancing without some heavy MG cover xD.

Yair, i'm counting the minutes left till you next map xD

Good straightforward map to teach you a specific tactic without any distractions. Looking forward to other things I can teach my platoon...

I did get confused by the casualties level though, since the briefing says you can take no more than 15% casualties, but the mission actually requires 10% casualties or less. Many frowns when I had 11% casualties and still lost ;( I think 10% is the right number for the map, but either way, I think it should be consistent.

Hey Spooner, You are absolutely right, my apologies. I will fix the scenario to allow up to 15% casualties without giving the syrians points, and re-upload. I prefer 15% since that allows 7 people to be injured/killed, and one lucky hit by an RPG could easily get you close.

Just played it and I liked it. own casualtys was one wounded so I consider it a bit to easy,but its a really good "beginners" mission, I will recommend this one to a friend of mine thats gonna buy CMSF and Marines.

Thought about doing a tutorial as a pdf and attach to the scenario? with pics etc to show the "school solution" ? remember a few of those scenarios from CMBB that really helped me thrue.

Good work!

/Thomas

How about a compromise? +1500 to Syrians for 15% enemy casulaties (automatic fail), 1000 to USMC for capturing the castle (pass, assuming you didn't take too many casualties) and +500 to USMC for less than 10% (or maybe even less) friendly casualties (distinction).

As chainsaw says, it is possible to be ultra-careful and only get one casualty (I only managed 6 and 8 casualties the two times I tried myself, but I know I could have been more careful and I haven't played in a while). Admittedly though, luck plays a big part at this scale, but having a pass and distinction level would make sense to me in this situation (sometimes you do just get lucky or unlucky, but I do think a good player should be able to get a distinction most times through being cautious).

How about a nice variant? Instead of just sitting in the Police Station and getting pasted with SMAWs and LAWs, some OpFor escape out the back of the building half-way through the battle. That way, the Marines might not get a "surrender" result so easily and could potentially be ambushed by OpFor rallying behind the building as they enter it.

What about this, Steiner? 15 or 20 minutes after the battle starts, Red forces hidden in the village in the top of the hill counterattack. So we have an attack on a fortified and higher position and a defense on a fortified but lower position. Two exercices in one :P

Would love to see screen shots/desriptions of how people went about this.

Personally I moved my squads pretty quickly. Ended up with two flanking the

trench at the top. I was a bit surprised to get a total victory, and REALLY

surprised to find so many dead baddies inside the fort. Holy crap! Would

love to know which of my squads/guys made the biggest impacts there.

I laid down some heavy covering fire and peeled my guys up the hill to the left. From the hill, I had half my guys shooting, the other half moving further up the hill to the left of the cop shop. Once all the red guys on the outside were gone, I moved in. I didn't have to go far, because the mission ended as soon at that point. I think I would have lost more guys going up the gut.

• 1 month later...