Eagerly awaiting CMx2 WW2

Wolfgang

There won't be much real news about Normandy for a while. When we're ready to start talking about it in detail we will open a new Forum. Around the same time we'll have some screenshots to show you. At present we don't have anything to show in game because we haven't started redoing the terrain yet. That should be started fairly soon.

Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Excellent news. Of course, when you said, "...started redoing the terrain...", you left out any explicit mention of sloped roofs. Ah, yes, any kind of roof other than a flat roof. Slopes, gabled, hipped, peaked, valleyed. Oh the many, many roofs of Normandy. :)

I want my men to scamper along the ridge of a roof and have slates slide down which then knock out German sentries! THAT would be immersion. I'm not saying what exactly it would be immersed IN, simply that it would be immersed. :)

Seriously, though, what types of terrain are you guys going to get in which is different than CMSF?

Thanks,

Ken

A colleague of mine once got the fun job of trying to create an algorithm for a computer to automatically fit sloped roof shapes to buildings given their outlines. It actually worked surprisingly well as long as the building shape was pretty regular. But give it something a little more complex.... one roof it came up with, for what ought to have been a reasonably simple case, had several hundred separate sloping surfaces. It was a thing of beauty - and you could have a good platoon-sized game of cat and mouse just on the roof of that one building :)

Bet we don't see that in CM:WWII

A colleague of mine once got the fun job of trying to create an algorithm for a computer to automatically fit sloped roof shapes to buildings given their outlines. It actually worked surprisingly well as long as the building shape was pretty regular. But give it something a little more complex.... one roof it came up with, for what ought to have been a reasonably simple case, had several hundred separate sloping surfaces. It was a thing of beauty - and you could have a good platoon-sized game of cat and mouse just on the roof of that one building

That sounds like a really fun challenge, actually. But think: how many CPU cycles do you want to devote to roof shapes? :-)

Steve,

Excellent news. Of course, when you said, "...started redoing the terrain...", you left out any explicit mention of sloped roofs. Ah, yes, any kind of roof other than a flat roof. Slopes, gabled, hipped, peaked, valleyed. Oh the many, many roofs of Normandy. :)

I want my men to scamper along the ridge of a roof and have slates slide down which then knock out German sentries! THAT would be immersion. I'm not saying what exactly it would be immersed IN, simply that it would be immersed. :)

Seriously, though, what types of terrain are you guys going to get in which is different than CMSF?

Thanks,

Ken

Roof grog. :rolleyes:

c3k,

Just about all of it. Many of the terrain types will remain, but their properties, models, and/or graphics will be different. For example, there won't be palm trees, but there will be other trees. And other obvious differences ;)

The buildings will be a challenge because the new roofs will require new coding, rather than just swapping out stuff. Not sure what we'll have available yet, but it's pretty straight forward grunt work.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks.

Obviously the load bearing capacity of thatched roofs will need to be worked in. Can you imagine how horrible CM:Normandy will be if a machinegun team can set up on a thatched roof and DON'T fall in? Of course, they may only sink in, and be bogged. (You will certainly code in the fleeing rats and birds which leave just prior to a thatched roof collapse, right?) Oh, and they burn: man, do they burn!

Glad to hear palm trees won't be there. I almost suspended my pre-purchase until I read that!

Tongue firmly in cheek,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...