marine doctrine questions.

The AAVs are pretty much tin cans with a lot of firepower. Doctrine, as with most APC/IFVs, is if you suspect unsupressed AT weapon systems dismount and walk the grunts in, under overwatch from your AAVs. Course the trick is to get the AAVs/IFVs into an overwatch position such they don't expose themselves to enemy AT fire...

They do have a lot of smoke so so you can use that to your advantage if you are bumped.

Cheers fur noo

George

In a conventional war, that would certainly be the correct doctrine.

However, GySgt Tracy (Fox 2/5) says in "Street Fight In Iraq" (Ramadi 2004-2005) that he discouraged his guys from dismounting their armoured Humvees -- the risk of RPG shots was outweighed by the shielding from IEDs and snipers. But of course that was a COIN environment.

If you haven't read this book, Gunny, it's well worth it for the creative cussing alone.

I went to my arraignment prepared to appeal the judge's common sense and compassion. He told me to get out of his courtroom and come back in one week with a Philadelphia lawyer or a Marine recruiter. It was four for the Corps or eight for the State.

Some of the Marines here can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is more doctrinally correct for AAVs to use their smoke in support of their infantry as opposed to Brads where it is for ATGM defense. Although in reality they would use their smoke generator.

Remember that your AAVs have much less armor than a Brad and that in fights between MK19s and autocannons the AC is usually going to win because it is much more suited to direct fire. So they will be at a dissadvantage against BMPs unless you get the drop on them.

Thanks LLF for the literature suggestion, :cool:I'll grab a copy. Sounds like a good read.

It's hard to really give Darkmage, Marine Corps doctrine since it has to be "tweaked" to fit CMSF:Marines. The material that we could throw at him (referring to Darkmage like he's not in the room, sorry about that) would might make his head spin. My intent was more to keep it in game and simple. Since you'll notice a difference in RPG accuarcy and quickly learn that getting 25 Digital Devildogs smoked in a tuna can will quickly make you start hunting for that "last save". :D

Thanks LLF for the literature suggestion, :cool:I'll grab a copy. Sounds like a good read.

It's hard to really give Darkmage, Marine Corps doctrine since it has to be "tweaked" to fit CMSF:Marines. The material that we could throw at him (referring to Darkmage like he's not in the room, sorry about that) would might make his head spin. My intent was more to keep it in game and simple. Since you'll notice a difference in RPG accuarcy and quickly learn that getting 25 Digital Devildogs smoked in a tuna can will quickly make you start hunting for that "last save". :D

Luckily I haven't seen any AAVs have to stand up to RPG rounds yet, so far in the campaign I've just been sneaking about with some marine scouts. Was just interested for when the inevitable big assault happens :) I guess without the slat armour etc that AAVs are more vulnerable than strykers?