Players' Choice in Campaign?

From looking at the Campaign page on the Marines module website it seems that there's one point where the user has a choice in what they do next. In Phase 3, after Mission 6, it seems that you can choose to go on Route 1 or Route 2. Is this the result of a possible campaign editor change where the campaign designer can give a choice of routes/missions to the player? If so, that would be extremely useful.

-FMB

If I am not mistaken, the branching is controlled by the end state of a certain scenario. Depending on what victory location you choose to occupy, the game will proceed on the corresponding route.

This can be done with existing campaign scripting functionality.

Best regards,

Thomm

Hmm. I've worked on a campaign, and so far as I can see, the only way that the campaign branches is by winning or losing a mission. Most of the other branches in the campaign flowchart seem to have a loss which is colored red, but neither of those two choices in particular is.

Maybe I'm just not doing it right? Thanks for your help! :)

-FMB

Guys - if it is a change to the base CMSF engine the feature will be documented in the new manual and it will be available to all in the next patch. This sounds like a change to the base CMSF engine to me - is it in the manual? If it is then yes it will happen - if it isn't then no it won't. Why not read the new manual before posting speculative questions?

Unfortunately the manual's only going to get so big. They'd need an entire second manual to do justice to AI orders and campaign stuff. And I'm not talking 'new' features either, I went through a lot of trial and error figuring out the most basic AI orders. Don't get me started on 'Exit Before' and 'Exit After'. ;) But this is the new millenium. Who reads manuals anymore? Every other topic in the world you find your answer by Googling. The BFC online forum 'hive consciousness' should/might be able to come up with manual-quality answers to most questions, even the ones not explicitely covered in the written manual.

Guys - if it is a change to the base CMSF engine the feature will be documented in the new manual and it will be available to all in the next patch. This sounds like a change to the base CMSF engine to me - is it in the manual? If it is then yes it will happen - if it isn't then no it won't. Why not read the new manual before posting speculative questions?

You are correct. I did read the manual, and noting its absence, I should have realized that it is not a new feature. I was thinking of making a new campaign that gives the player some element of choice, and was so excited at the possibility that I forgot about its absence in the manual.

No, that scen (#6) just uses "win/lose" in a different way.

One of the VLs is worth ... uh ... something like 10,000 pts, and the other is worth about 20 pts. The Syrians start with a 'bonus' of 5,000 pts. There are very few other points available.

So, if you occupy one of the VLs you will end up with 20 VPs to the Syrs 5,000 and 'lose' and go down one branch of the campaign. If you occupy the other VL you'' have 10,000 pts to the Syrs 5,000, will 'win' and go the other way. (If you occupy neither you'll lose and go the default - 'lose' - route, while if you occupy both you'll 'win' and go the 'win' route).

The end-battle screen still shows you having a 'total victory' or 'total defeat', but the only effect is on which route you take over the next section of the campaign.

Does that make sense?

Now that we have a timeline - with dates - for the Marines campaign, perhaps BFC could produce one retrospectively for the TF Thunder campaign. I've always wondered what date each scenario in the campaign is supposed to be on, and it must be known to BFC as it's a required parameter for each and every scenario used to build the campaign. We could even do it our selves if BFC would release the editable scenario files for the TF Thunder campaign.

TF Lightning, battles, dates, and times.

Breakthrough at the Berm: June 19, 0500

Following the Wadi: June 19, 0500

Ash Shammas: June 19, 1000

High Points, Low Points: June 19, 1900

Route Lightning: June 20, 1235

Dar al as Sud: June 20, 1845

Air Warfare: June 22, 1045

The Screen: June 23, 0730

The Screen Pt 2: June 23, 1700

Lock & Chase: June 24, 0410

Objective Normandy: June 24, 1755

Night Stalkers: June 24, 2050

Dagger Fight: June 25, 0700

Ambush Alley: June 26, 0600

Into the Valley: June 26, 1500

Tiyas Detour: June 26, 1800

Mountain of a Molehill: June 27, 0125

Heads Up: June 28, 0550

Fleeing the Scene: June 28, 0900

Hims Homies: June 29, 1000

Point Blank: June 29, 1640

Street Sweepers: June 30, 0700

As you know, the campaign file can't be decomposed. The above is the best i can do at this remove.

Regards

Jon