GUI Camera Controls

Is the camera supposed to be so jerky and unresponsive? Obviously not... I'm using the WASD buttons to control the camera. Is there a better way? The thing is that the camera is often laggy or plain unresponsive. Is there a way to fix it? I like the game but the camera controls are just so frustrating slow or buggy, it makes the entire game frustrating to play. The game is awesome... until I have to move the camera!

Does turning down the graphical quality help at all? Might just be that it's too high. Turning off shadows is my favourite for getting a smoother game at minimal eyecandy loss. Dialing down anti-aliasing is good too, especially if you are using a high resolution.

Also, try controlling the camera with the mouse by pressing down the left or right button to move the camera.

Hope that helped a little.

Ctrl-click on a point on the map if there's no unit. Then pan and rotate the camera by moving it to the top, bottom, bottom left, bottom right. Rotate with top left, top right. Chang height with middle mouse button.

I tend to tab to units to find my way around; see a unit, press tab and you're locked to it. Roll the middle mouse button to change height while keeping it in camera shot. Rotate around it as normal - top right/top left.

Nice when you get used to it.

I only use the mouse to move the camera, and only by holding down the left/right mouse buttons. I find it to be much smoother and more precise than moving it to the edge of the screen, and doubly so compared to the keyboard controls. It takes a little bit of effort to get used to it, but it offers the greatest control of any of the methods.

I only use the WASD keys for fine tuning a camera position. The mouse works pretty good, not to mention I don't think the WASD keys allow you to do everything that the mouse does.

Mord.