Programming languages for turn based strategy games

I was thinking of getting back into programming.

Id like to create some turn based strategy games since I have a lot of free time.

What languages are being used these days for these type of games. I programmed 20 years ago.

Also any good places for resources and librarys?

Good choice, you will be more productive than in cpp.

VASSAL is also written in java. You can use the JOGL library for OpenGL (3D) graphics. Performance of the language and the framework is pretty close to commercial games, and you can find a lot of books on game programming in java.

SC1 and SC2 both use Eiffel... it is a very good programming language and taught at many universities, i.e. where I learned it, due to the clean design and well thought out choices for the language. It is similar to Java in many respects, both are Object Oriented based languages although Eiffel is more of a pure OOB language than Java and why it is a preferred language for many academics when it comes to teaching Computer Science design and programming principles.

The benefit of Java is that it has a lot of users and a lot of available media libraries where Eiffel does not (I had to write my own classes)... also Java is free where Eiffel is arguably a much more expensive option.

Good luck!