Mac version sometime this year? Ever?

I did a search and can't find anything up to date. I got an email today about the new CMSF expansion module. "Yay!", I think to myself. Except they still have no Mac demo, or Mac version, yet are producing an expansion...hmmm..is it time to change my sig?

Is anything happening with regard to a Mac version? Ever?

• 4 weeks later...

We're working on a native Mac solution for the near term. Still too early to tell when it will be done, however if all goes well it should be before the Normandy release.

Steve

Thank You! Encouraging to hear. Aside from CMSF there is very little reason for me to use BootCamp.

CogNative

We're going to try for PPC and not just Intel. HOWEVER, this may not prove possible/practical. Remember that even the fastest PPC with the best graphics card at the time is very low end compared to Intel based systems released within the last couple of years. This means that even the high end PPC systems still in use are on the low end of the performance specs. G4s that were mid to low end for their day will likely be too slow to play CM very well.

The upshot is that if we find significant problems with supporting PPCs then we'll have to cut them out of the loop. If there aren't any significant problems, though, then they will be supported.

Steve

Thank you again for the Mac feedback.

I think Steve may be correct re: PPCs "will likely be too slow to play CM very well." The only reason I keep the old G4 Mac around is I have all three CMx1 MAC Version titles and need something to play on them. Even with the current time-wasting BootCamp OS shuffle, CMSF has made the G4 & CMx1 more a memory than a contemporary challenge. CMSF offers a much better game for me than the old CMx1 games.

As long as I use smaller game files and more moderate graphics settings, my current MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz works satisfactorily with CMSF V1.08 . I have some video issues noted in the tech support section '"Antialias / Multisample: ON" but these are not a CMSF software issue as best I understand. The limitation is more with my laptop GPU processor: GeForce 8600M GT with 512 MB memory.

I hope the Mac/Intel version of CMSF will prove more efficient, allowing better larger game files, more advance graphics settings with good RT - FPS.

CogNative

We're going to try for PPC and not just Intel. HOWEVER, this may not prove possible/practical. Remember that even the fastest PPC with the best graphics card at the time is very low end compared to Intel based systems released within the last couple of years. This means that even the high end PPC systems still in use are on the low end of the performance specs. G4s that were mid to low end for their day will likely be too slow to play CM very well.

The upshot is that if we find significant problems with supporting PPCs then we'll have to cut them out of the loop. If there aren't any significant problems, though, then they will be supported.

Steve

Okay. Thanks for the answer, Steve.

I have a G5 Quad running at 2.5 GHz, so I guess I am at the upper end of the lower end, so to speak.

:D

Michael