Question for campaign designers.....

Some if not most of my favorite community designed scenarios are embedded in the campaigns. Is there any way to break them out to be played as individual scenarios?

Also, an observation from one who plays all the new scenarios. It seems like designers are competing to see who can design the most difficult scenarios to the point where they lose reality because they are so freakin hard. Please keep in mind that the most enjoyable ones are not necessarily the toughest to win. :D

Thanks for all you do guys.

Originally posted by G B Scurlock:

Some if not most of my favorite community designed scenarios are embedded in the campaigns. Is there any way to break them out to be played as individual scenarios?

Also, an observation from one who plays all the new scenarios. It seems like designers are competing to see who can design the most difficult scenarios to the point where they lose reality because they are so freakin hard. Please keep in mind that the most enjoyable ones are not necessarily the toughest to win. :D

Thanks for all you do guys.

It's a tough one - I can kick my own butt think that's hard then someone comes along and wipes the board and says that was easy! I mind playing out "Just another day" thinking this is pretty tough and it looks like everyone who played it thought it was fun but straightforward. I think getting the balance right in any scenario CMx1 or CMx2 is always going to have an air of subjectivity about it. Still I'll keep your comments in mind - although I think my next one coming out might just creep into 'freakin hard' category - then again I'm sure someone will play it and say fun but straightforward! We'll see smile.gif

Cheers fur no

george

G B Scurlock,

I'm with George on this one. I was going crazy tweaking the Ghost. Some said it was too hard. I thought of changing it but then another guy said he had just got a Total Victory! :D

Funny you asked. I was just thinking about this the other day to release all of scenarios in the Ghost and Crossroads as single missions in the future. I will tweak them some, and I'll have to add new briefings and such so I can't really promise when this will happen.

-

I must confess, I had been thinking about releasing some of my campaign missions as individual scenarios. However, to do that would require quite a lot of work as I'd have to rebalance most of them as they're designed to be played with slightly (hopefully) reduced core forces and so would be too easy to win as stand alone missions. However, some of the opening missions would play just fine. But on the other hand, I'd prefer people to play the whole campaign rather than just one or two of the missions.

Further, campaign missions are usually designed for play by one side only and would be unsuitable for playing as Red vs the AI or as another Human player. And they don't usually have lots of AI plans either. When I started work on my campaign I thought I'd have to design the usual 4-5 attack plans for the AI. But then I realised that most people will only play the campaign once and so, one is usually enough. (Although there are a few with two.)

As to difficulty, I'd have to agree with the two previous posters. What is difficult for some is very easy for others. I remember when I posted 'In Harms Way' in CMMODS I thought that it would be too tough for most folks. The first few posts tended to confirm that suspicion and then I started getting posts from people who were blowing through it. I think Pandur even managed to get a total victory with 10 minutes of game time still on the clock!!!

To sum up, yes, you'll probably see a 'Hasrabit' scenario pack at some point in the future with some of the best missions as stand alone battles. But not for a while.

Originally posted by G B Scurlock:

Just for you, I'm going to slip a scenario into my campaign where you must fend off a tank brigade. ;)

Originally posted by Webwing:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Just for you, I'm going to slip a scenario into my campaign where you must fend off a tank brigade. ;)

It's not realistic! It's not realistic!

Prepare to hear that a lot. :D

-- </font>I'll make sure to include a note that, for added realism, the player can eat only MREs all day, hump a 80 lb. ruck for at least five miles whilst playing, and set their computer out in the middle of a muddy field in horizontal rain. ;)