AAR - Afghani Stan

Afghani Stan – AAR

Scenario by The Fighting Seabee

Play mode: Blue, Single Player, RT, Veteran (Apparently there are only plans for RED so you must play BLUE)

Overview

Ambush mission using Special Forces at night. This time though you are the one ambushing the enemy convoy. Nice for a change. As you know, there aren’t any Special Forces for the Blue side in the game so Seabee used Scouts with high settings to play their part.

Phases of the operation from the briefing: Infiltration, ambush, intelligence gathering, destroying the compound and extraction. Loads of time to accomplish your objective, 2 hours. But your target should be arriving at his destination in about 15 minutes. So If you want to really ambush and not only attack him you need to hurry.

There are only a few bunches of houses in this rather flat map. Still the whole setting looks very interesting and realistic.

The images in the briefing and tactical map look very good, like taken from some surveillance satellite or something.

The AAR

From where you start your mission, facing the objective, you have to your immediate left an isolated house. To your right a huge open field that ends in a group of houses where two of your support teams are located. A JTAC and a Sniper team. They are there to help you spot the enemy as they approach the objective area. I ordered them to hide and make sure they are facing in the right direction.

-

Afgani_01.jpg

-

You have 2 teams, Star and Stripe. Ahead of them a small path leads to the objective area. Lets get moving!

After around 6min Star team is in position in front of the compound. Stripes team still on its way. There are some trenches beside the road that are perfect to place the troops. At this point Star Three ambushes some enemy troops patrolling the area and open fire as they are only around 5 meters away. 7 enemies are killed in less than 15 seconds. The Hide command seems to be perfect here. The soldiers will not engage unless the enemy is real close and presents an eminent danger as well as an easy target.

Another enemy team arrives just 10 seconds latter and is given the same treatment.

But we have given away our position!

10 minutes into the mission and Team Stripe is in positioned 20 meters to the left of Team Star down the trenche line. Imediately the spot a machinegun outpost on the other side of the road, 10/15 meters away and open fire and though grenades. Those special forces are really efficient. All enemy are killed.

At this point I decide it might be a good idea to clear the compound gather intelligence and place some men there to help in the ambush.

I send Team Stripe for that. First house clear and a machine gun time taken as well. As Stripe Two enters one of the buildings an enemy soldier outside the compound hits one of my men. First casualty is a seriously wounded soldier! I put the team’s HQ to give him first aid.

More than 15 min into the mission and the convoy is first spotted on the other end of the map.

Stripe Two and Three are on the rooftops and Stars on the trenches now. Let them come!

Some enemy troops arrive on foot ahead of the convoy. The whole convoy is spread out and seem to be divided into 2 or 3 groups which will make it more difficult to hit.

As the enemy on foot are almost in the compound I tell my troops to open fire. Most of the enemy on foot are killed and the cars are coming and being engaged.

Suddenly some enemies are spotted coming from the opposite side! Some of the teams need to turn 180 degrees to engage them.

30 min into the mission and some teams are dangerously low on ammo, a few enemy vehicles still have not been destroyed.

Some Taliban fighters that were hiding in the compound suddenly show themselves and with and through grenades at my men with serious results.

Things are not looking good.

More guys from the south advancing through the trenches. Remaining vehicles attack.

Unlike I had imagined my men had enough fire power to finish the enemy. They chase the last vehicle into the woods. Once out of the compound the JTAC team calls for an airstrike to destroy it.

I guess the extraction zone is the same as the starting position so that’s were I send my men.

The first airstrike hits the compound.

As I approach the extraction zone a nasty surprise, some enemies waiting in ambush!

The enemy surrendered before I could finish destroying the compound.

End of mission.

I gave first aid to all wounded soldiers but one but unfortunately lost 2 men.

-

Afgani_02.jpg

-

Great mission. Seabee has totally succeeded in conveying a Special Forces operation atmosphere.

-

[ February 24, 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Just tried that mission too, was great fun. Elite squads really are deadly at close quarters they seemed to take out any squad in around 10-15 seconds. I managed to sneak in to the main compound from the rear after taking out the two machine gun crews and then opened up on HQ units from behind, they didn't stand a chance tongue.gif

Thanks guys, glad you had fun. That's the whole point really.

Webwing, great AAR man! Btw, I changed a lot of things around using your advice and I really think it made the scenario much better. Thanks!

SPOILER ALERT***************

Hints!!!!

A) Stay in the ambush zone for 2 ambushes (surprise!), the foot patrol and the convoy. Also, you have a better chance if you get there quickly.

B) When going to the compound, you only need to run in, grab the intel, and run out of the rightmost building by the field.

C) Try not to stay and fight it out, you don't have enough ammo.

D) When returning to the exit point, use the Australian Peel method to break contact. This works really well in this game.

E) Don't leave a fallen comrade behind! The enemy gets points for every dead Special Forces guy.

Sure... The Australian Peel is used to break contact with the enemy. (Actually I taught tactics in the military, so this is natural for me).

Normally it would be done in a squad with individuals, but in CM:SF you can only manipulate squads, but it still works well.

Basically you'll have your squads trying to move out and break contact. To do this, have one squad open fire to try to pin the enemy down while the other squad moves further away. Then the that squad will open fire at the enemy, and the first squad runs back behind the squad firing. They switch off until they can't see the enemy any more and they can get out of there. This allows you to move out while having continuous fire in the direction of the enemy.

A B C ---> B C A ---> C A B ---> A B C

Enemy is to the left. B opens fire to the left and allows A to move all the way to the back. Then C opens fire to the left and allows B to move to the back. Do this until you break contact.

This is a very common tactic that is used by any group of fighting men.

Check this out...

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

Sure... The Australian Peel is used to break contact with the enemy. (Actually I taught tactics in the military, so this is natural for me).

Normally it would be done in a squad with individuals, but in CM:SF you can only manipulate squads, but it still works well.

Basically you'll have your squads trying to move out and break contact. To do this, have one squad open fire to try to pin the enemy down while the other squad moves further away. Then the that squad will open fire at the enemy, and the first squad runs back behind the squad firing. They switch off until they can't see the enemy any more and they can get out of there. This allows you to move out while having continuous fire in the direction of the enemy.

A B C ---> B C A ---> C A B ---> A B C

Enemy is to the left. B opens fire to the left and allows A to move all the way to the back. Then C opens fire to the left and allows B to move to the back. Do this until you break contact.

This is a very common tactic that is used by any group of fighting men.

Check this out...

Thanks Seabee smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...