Smoke Grenades

Squad smoke worked today very well in the last mission of the campaing. The enemy was firing from 2 posotions over open field into my flank. The squad moved in the direction the wind drifts the smoke, 50 meters sprint till cover - no man down (loaded the savegame several times).

I have a feeling that the graphics don't really much the level of concealment that smoke provides. In the cases that I've used it, it seems to be pretty effective at blocking LOS, though it wouldn't appear that it should.

It's uses are a bit more rare than stryker smoke, but certainly invaluable in some situations. I use it to cross raised roadways where I'm in one of the ditches and want to cross to the other. Throw smoke right on the road and advance across.

I have a feeling that because of the tiled LOS/LOF system, smoke will obscure the entire tile that it's in.

Also - make sure you use the "face" command before you throw smoke to ensure that you're throwing it in the right direction.

Originally posted by zwobot:

Have you ever popped smoke with a BMP?

Might be I was confused by the other stuff going on in the battlefield but the smoke was black and relatively far away in 4 directions of the BMP.

I saw this once...just the smoke though, no vehicle, and was wondering what the hell it was! There was only one line of it though. Not 4.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

You should be able to aim infantry smoke. The fact that you can't is bad design. An infantry squad is not a vehicle.

I agree. I was wondering why I couldn't do that. I did figure out using the face command helped...but still, it only goes to an exact point, which isn't far.

Maybe it is coded to land at the action point? Kinda like what Billy was describing up top. So do to the code, the game itself decides where it will go and you just face the squad in the direction you want it to land?

Mord.