Self Shadowing Problems

Originally posted by thelmia:

11-15-2006.jpg

What are your settings?

Wasn't sure how serious that question was considering the pic but here goes.

nVidia Control Panel:

2x AA

4x AF

Single Display Performance Mode

Anistropic Sample Optimization: On

Texture Filtering Quality: Quality

Triple Buffering: On

VSync: Application Controlled

Game Options Screen:

3D Model Detail: Improved

Texture Detail: Improved

Antialias/Multisample: On

Resolution: Desktop

VSync: Off

Originally posted by birdstrike:

I've also had the zebra stripes on my card (also 7600GT) but the latest forceware drivers (163.69) seem to have elimiated that.

That's very interesting birdstrike. I am using the exact same driver (163.69) but still getting the stripes. I would be very grateful if you could tell me exactly what settings you are using in your nVidia Control Panel that give you no stripes. Sorry to be a pain but if you could provide that information I'd be eternally grateful. I've provided my own settings below and a blank form for you to fill in to make it as easy as possible. If you are able to help, just enter those values that are different to mine.

Cheers!

Mine:

Anistropic filtering: 4x

Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off

Antialiasing - Setting: 2x

Antialiasing - Transparency: Off

Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware

Error reporting: Off

Extension limit: Off

Force pipmaps: None

Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Texture filtering - Anistropic mip filter optimization: Off

Texture filtering - Anistropic sample optimization: On

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow

Texture filtering - Quality: Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear Optimization: On

Threaded optimization: Off

Triple buffering: On

Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

Yours:

Anistropic filtering:

Antialiasing - Gamma correction:

Antialiasing - Setting:

Antialiasing - Transparency:

Conformant texture clamp:

Error reporting:

Extension limit:

Force pipmaps:

Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration:

Texture filtering - Anistropic mip filter optimization:

Texture filtering - Anistropic sample optimization:

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias:

Texture filtering - Quality:

Texture filtering - Trilinear Optimization:

Threaded optimization:

Triple buffering:

Vertical sync:

No prob. smile.gif

Anistropic filtering: 4x

Antialiasing - Gamma correction: on

Antialiasing - Setting: 4x

Antialiasing - Transparency: multisampling

Conformant texture clamp: off

Error reporting: off

Extension limit: off

Force mipmaps: none

Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration: single display

Texture filtering - Anistropic mip filter optimization: off (locked)

Texture filtering - Anistropic sample optimization: off (locked)

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: allow

Texture filtering - Quality: high quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear Optimization: off (locked)

Threaded optimization: auto

Triple buffering: on

Vertical sync: force on

Now that I think of it... if I had to take a guess, I'd say it's the conformat texture clamp... well, maybe.

birdstrike,

Thanks for posting that info. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem on my setup, which in and of itself is strange. You would think the same card designation with the same driver version would result in the same visuals. I've even tried increasing my monitor refresh rate from 70 to 75 but it made no difference.

If anyone has a clue how this can happen I'd be very interested to know how? It seems totally bizarre to me!

Originally posted by Mishga:

Michael

My husband has the exact same card as you and all he gets is the black screen of death. Did you suffer from anything like this? If so how did you get round it?

It's not the intro black screen I mean but actually once your meant to be at the main options screen.

Hi Mishga, no I don't suffer from a black screen of death though I have performance issue with the larger maps. And I'm not too happy with CMSF performance with shadows turned on. I'm using 162.18 driver and set my graphics setting slider to performance. Hope this helps with your husband problem.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

birdstrike,

Thanks for posting that info. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem on my setup, which in and of itself is strange. You would think the same card designation with the same driver version would result in the same visuals. I've even tried increasing my monitor refresh rate from 70 to 75 but it made no difference.

If anyone has a clue how this can happen I'd be very interested to know how? It seems totally bizarre to me!

That's really strange... :confused:

the only instant I've noticed the stripes reappear with the latest drivers is on Allah's fist at a certain visual distance to my tanks, like 150-200m or so. But it's harldy visible. Maybe it is connected to certain light conditions, as Rommel stated earlier?

I will keep an eye on that.

P.S.

these are my ingame options:

Vertical Synchronization: off

3D Model Quality: better

3D tecture Quality: balanced

Antialias/Multisample: on

Originally posted by birdstrike:

That's really strange... :confused:

the only instant I've noticed the stripes reappear with the latest drivers is on Allah's fist at a certain visual distance to my tanks, like 150-200m or so. But it's harldy visible. Maybe it is connected to certain light conditions, as Rommel stated earlier?

I will keep an eye on that.

P.S.

these are my ingame options:

Vertical Synchronization: off

3D Model Quality: better

3D tecture Quality: balanced

Antialias/Multisample: on

birdstrike,

I tried your game option settings as well and still no difference. On my system, vehicles are very obviously stripey from certain angles. Obviously the position of the light source has a lot to do with it but it is definitely sub-optimal on my system and not something I've noticed playing any other game.

I am pretty sure when CM:SF first came out a game developer posted on the forum saying he knew how to improve shadowing using some sort of filtering technique. I've searched the forums but can't seem to find the original post. Do you remember reading this? I thing there must be something BFC can do with the code to smooth out these shadowing problems, even if the drivers are fundamentally at fault.

I am pretty sure when CM:SF first came out a game developer posted on the forum saying he knew how to improve shadowing using some sort of filtering technique. I've searched the forums but can't seem to find the original post. Do you remember reading this? I thing there must be something BFC can do with the code to smooth out these shadowing problems, even if the drivers are fundamentally at fault.
That would have been Ssnake of Esim Games over at SimHQ.This is the thread you're after.

Thanks Pinetree. Here's a direct quote from that thread.

Originally posted by Ssnake of Esim Games

If you are interested in pretty graphics there would be good and bad to say; the good, that 3D characters and vehicles are modelled in high detail though certainly not at the level of, say, Gears of War or Oblivion. Trees sway in the wind in no exaggerated way, and their shadows move with them.

The bad, that shadows seem to be done as extra "shade surfaces" on top of the normal models, and very close to them. Unfortunately this creates a shimmer effect since the Z-buffer can't properly sort the depth of the different meshes, so they look like stripes at all ranges save being very close.

So much for "it's the drivers stupid". Come on BFC, make this game shine!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one with bad shadows (stripes, shimmering, pixelated jaggy edges)? Will they ever look any better?

Just thought I'd bump this thread and say I just loaded up the "World In Conflict" demo and the shadows in that were way better than in CM:SF. The fact that the WiC tutorial actually crashed my machine is another matter! :D

So, I still prefer CM:SF to WiC, which looks just like every shallow RTS since "Command and Conquer" even when not hanging my PC. However, regarding how shadows are done, they must be doing something right vis-a-vis CM:SF.

I know this may be a minor issue to some but I think it still needs to be on the agenda for future patches.