Radeon Catalyst and Vista: Caveat Emptor is needed

I thought this topic was going to be consolidated, but increasingly people with Vista and an ATI Radeon card are showing up and talking about

"I crash when I click on a unit"

and this is spilling across multiple posts.

and the issue is being confused with things like AMD Multicore patches and the like. Battlefront, you need to place a warning notice on the order page:

"Be advised, the game is currently unusable if you have an ATI card, you are running Windows Vista and you are using the latest Catalyst drivers."

Remember, it is on your advice that we update to the latest drivers.

The ordering page has this to say about system compatibility:

"Operating System: Windows XP (Vista is supported)

Processor: Pentium IV 3.2 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better

Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x850

(256 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution)

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card

System Memory: 1 Gigabyte or more RAM

Hard Drive Space: 1 Gigabyte

Other Requirements: CD Drive (not needed for download version)"

The Radeon and Vista combo is clearly NOT supported.

I got burned on T-72 and was actually offered a refund. I wanted to support battlefront (a dedicated developer working in a niche genre), so I held out for a bit. During this period, I was placated with promises of fixes that went on into months (to be fair you were only the publishers). I should have learned from my T-72 experience, but clearly I have not learned.

As things stand today, you are falsely advertising compatibility in a situation where none exists. I won't go too deeply into the fact that consumers can be protected from this sort of thing, but this is an untenable circumstance to be sure.

While I am sure this SNAFU is somewhat innocent on your part, continuing to take people's money when this product does not work for a whole class of users is disingenuous. I have made my mistake (I should NEVER had pre-orded without the DEMO - damned if I did that with T-72 and got BURNED), but I think it would be prudent for you, as a company, to not take orders from Vista/ATI people until the issue is sorted.

Why continue to hurt other customers and your reputation?

Here is another good one, Rune stated that they never tested the game with a AMD config. WHAT!!!! How on gods green earth do you not test a game with an AMD config? Not to mention a Vista + ATI config??? Do you know how many people would have been frothing at the mouth to help beta this game and all of this could have been resolved months ago? Amatuers is all I can say. $55 flushed down the drain. I have a right mind to call my credit card company and deny charges based on false advertising.

Originally posted by Vipes34uk:

The issue is not restricted to Vista, I have XP SP2 and have exactly the same issues with atioglx2.dll error and it takes ages to select a unit using mouse.

This is not just a VISTA problem!

Hey Vipes,

Another guy posted saying that Catalyst 7.7 fixed the error with XP SP2. Are you running 7.7?

Cabal,

I have voiced some of your same concerns recently. I can't imagine that there's too much budget towards professional QC testing leftover in such a small shop.

The way I see it, the hardware compat test can typically come down to this:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">---------------------------------------

| ATI | nVidia

---------------------------------------

Windows XP 32-bit | ??? |

Windows XP 64-bit | |

Windows Vista 32-bit | |

Windows Vista 64-bit | |

| ATI | nVidia

Intel Single Core | |

Intel Dual Core | |

AMD Single Core | |

AMD Dual Core | |

---------------------------------------</pre>

This is an OUTRIGHT LIE. I have a AMD dual core and tested is extensively with Vista, but I have an Nvidia card on both my systems. I NEVER said it was not tested in this configuration. Matter of fact in MULTIPLE threads, I state it WAS tested under Vista.

Rune

Originally posted by cabal23:

Here is another good one, Rune stated that they never tested the game with a AMD config. WHAT!!!! How on gods green earth do you not test a game with an AMD config? Not to mention a Vista + ATI config??? Do you know how many people would have been frothing at the mouth to help beta this game and all of this could have been resolved months ago? Amatuers is all I can say. $55 flushed down the drain. I have a right mind to call my credit card company and deny charges based on false advertising.

I don't know I was in charge of scenarios and tested with my three rigs. 2 of which run Vista.

Anyway can someone test a driver for me with the ATI card? Make sure it isn't one of the brand spanking new cards.

Try this and let me know.

Link removed as this is for XP only

Rune

[ July 29, 2007, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: rune ]

If someone is having problems with ati and xp and the game, and can test a different driver, post here and I will give you the link.

Originally posted by rune:

I don't know I was in charge of scenarios and tested with my three rigs. 2 of which run Vista.

Anyway can someone test a driver for me with the ATI card? Make sure it isn't one of the brand spanking new cards.

Link remopved since it is for XP only.

Rune

If someone is having problems with ati and xp and the game, and can test a different driver, post here and I will give you the link.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Link remopved since it is for XP only.

Rune

</font>

I will continue to work on this, I have found all sorts of games ahving problems with the 7.7s and opengl. Hopefully I can come up with something if I find someone else has a work around. Will email Charles, if we are REALLY lucky maybe a work around...but if we do and they fix their drivers, it may break the game again. Will be back, doing more research.

Rune

I will continue to work on this, I have found all sorts of games ahving problems with the 7.7s and opengl. Hopefully I can come up with something if I find someone else has a work around. Will email Charles, if we are REALLY lucky maybe a work around...but if we do and they fix their drivers, it may break the game again. Will be back, doing more research.

Rune

Thats the problem with "Windows Blody Vista TM" !

We will eventually be screwed by it again, and again.

Many thanks rune.

OK, I am reporting improvement. With 7.8 the screen no longer flickers randomly. If I left-click a unit it will still freeze the game and possibly crash, but I found that using SHIFT to lasso units, even single units, will prevent this from happening. I was able to complete ATGM ambush scenario this way.

EDIT: Using WASD to move the camera caused the game to crash...this is a band-aid fix, I am sort of remotely able to play the game.

Uninstalled the ATI drivers, i was surprised that the game launched, and the grafics were good and with good framerate, but left click crash is still there.

Looks like the card really needs a good driver that solves the issue, the current from ATI and microsoft default don´t do the trick.

Rune - my experiences for what they are worth. I have 2 systems, an older desktop and a newer laptop.

The desktop is AMD Athlon 3200, 32 bit, running Windows XP with SP2, and using an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. It crashes hard during load (once) and while panning the camera (second time).

The laptop is Intel Core 2 Duo 2x2.0 giga Hz, 32 bit, running Vista Ultimate, with a GeForce 6800 video card. Runs smooth fast and stable, no issues.

I therefore believe ATI drivers are the problem. Vista seems to be fine with a GeForce card.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I have been running with Vista 64 and Vista 32 with Nvidia for months now. ATI has always been infamous for lack of opengl drivers [good ones anyway]. Will continue to dig in on this.

I sent the guys an email this morning, wehn I hear from them, I will update the status. Glad you got a partial, but not real solution. So, to play for now, use the 7.8 and don't use the wasd keys, and only group movr, don't click on a unit.

THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION, but at least it may let ya play a scenario for now instead of just looking at it.

I will continue to work on this.

Thanks to Beast and Mikeyan for helping me troubleshoot this.

Rune

I just thought of something. The Nvidia card have their own control panel, with opengl settings. Does ATI have the same thing? What are the opengl options?

Worse case, someone available in the US I can call on the phone to try a few things? It is on my dime, so I really don't want to call overseas.

Rune