Slowdown/choppy on new Mac

Just upgraded to a new Mac (933MHz with GeForceMX4 and 768 MB RAM). I have OS 9.2.2 installed on a second hard drive to run my old stuff and OS X on a whole different drive, so to play CM I boot from the OS 9 drive.

Initially the game will run just fine, but if I quit and come back to it later (after running other apps such as Internet Explorer, Appleworks, or even if I simply come back after the computer has been asleep) CM runs very poorly. The mouse pointer movement is choppy, scrolling the map (by keyboard or game controls) is slow and choppy, and general response to keyboard commands is slow. Once I restart the computer it's fine again till I use other apps or sleep as noted above.

I've tried adjusting memory allocation up and down, have virtual memory off, and am running OS 9.2.2 without any new funky extensions or add-ons.

Previously, I was running the game on an old desktop G3/233 and a Powerbook G3/400, both with OS 9.0.4 and I'd never seen this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I've noticed that sometimes (always?) the OS installer installs drivers for both Geforce and ATI Radeon cards. This causes all kinds of klunkiness in games.

Check extensions manager if you have ATI stuff active somewhere out there. (And disable if there is.)

----

Also check if there's some kind of processor slowdown active in energy saver. That should kick in when unused, but might not "kick out "when used again. New system might still have a few bugs in it..

[ March 15, 2002, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

I have a 800 DP G4 with a GF3 card and i sometime get that stuttery slowdown.

I think its due to the V-card getting hot.

Have you got good ventilation / air flow near your MAC ?

Sometimes it goes away once i quit CM and restart the game..other times i have to restart the mac.

Regards

Måkjager

[ edited to cover up the fact i use a sticky keyboard :D ]

[ March 16, 2002, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

Originally posted by davidh:

Just upgraded to a new Mac (933MHz with GeForceMX4 and 768 MB RAM). I have OS 9.2.2 installed on a second hard drive to run my old stuff and OS X on a whole different drive, so to play CM I boot from the OS 9 drive.

Initially the game will run just fine, but if I quit and come back to it later (after running other apps such as Internet Explorer, Appleworks, or even if I simply come back after the computer has been asleep) CM runs very poorly. The mouse pointer movement is choppy, scrolling the map (by keyboard or game controls) is slow and choppy, and general response to keyboard commands is slow. Once I restart the computer it's fine again till I use other apps or sleep as noted above.

I've tried adjusting memory allocation up and down, have virtual memory off, and am running OS 9.2.2 without any new funky extensions or add-ons.

Previously, I was running the game on an old desktop G3/233 and a Powerbook G3/400, both with OS 9.0.4 and I'd never seen this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have seen this a few times and it was really annoying. It has gone way for me when I quit and restart CM. I don't recall if I had to reboot any of the these times.

I would like to know the cause. I don't like it is a hot card in my case.

[ March 16, 2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: pford ]

I suspect CM may not be completely happy in OS 9. When I was running 8.6 on an older machine I used to escape to desktop and launch other apps for a while without quitting CM with no problems. After I upgraded to a G4 and 9.1 a year ago, I noticed that if I escaped to the desktop and put the Mac to sleep, then came back, my graphics were all screwed up: no color, just a B&W checkerboard pattern. Now, whenever I want to leave CM for a while, instead of escaping, I just quit the app. Rebooting is fast enough so that that is not a major hassle.

I don't know if this is relevant to the other problems people have brought up; just thought I'd mention it.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I suspect CM may not be completely happy in OS 9. When I was running 8.6 on an older machine I used to escape to desktop and launch other apps for a while without quitting CM with no problems.

Michael

I wouldn't say that. I have a G3 300Mhz running OS 9.2.2 and its fine, but then I have an ATI Rage 128.

Originally posted by Panzerman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I suspect CM may not be completely happy in OS 9. When I was running 8.6 on an older machine I used to escape to desktop and launch other apps for a while without quitting CM with no problems.

Michael

I wouldn't say that. I have a G3 300Mhz running OS 9.2.2 and its fine, but then I have an ATI Rage 128.</font>

• 1 year later...