New Theatre of War Troubleshooting Guide Posted

In order to try and provide one place to go for info, i have made up the first version of the Theatre of War Troubleshooting Guide.

There are a lot of reports coming in of various issues, and even more info going back out, so I wanted to try and collect as much as I could in order to help those people that are having problems.

Let me just say, that we ARE working on getting these things fixed/patched as fast as we can. We can't stress enough how appreciative we are of the patience and understanding that has been extended so far to us. And for those that have been angry or called me names in email (yes, that happens too), its okay, you have every right to be mad, although try and be a little more creative when you come up with some new cursewords, I have heard all of these already.

I didn't list every single issue yet, but I will update this guide as often as I can with whatever new info that I can come up with. 1C has pledged their support to get this issues fixed and you know that I aint going anywhere either, so just hang with us and we will get this stuff all sorted out.

Thanks again, and don't hesitate to comment, add or correct what I have written.

Theatre of War Troubleshooting Guide and FAQ

Madmatt

Thanks Madmatt, glad to hear 1c are also getting involved with our issues. smile.gif

Certainly looking forward to being able play the game with some stability, because my own experiences show there must be a memory hog somewhere as task manager in windows is showing 100% cpu use, and there are no other programs running in the background! :confused:

Will keep on posting back my feedback from the game in other posts, just wanted to thank all at Battlefront for their endeavours. tongue.gif

Hi mx02nx02,

I wanted to get some more info about that "corrupt save" game issue before I added it to the Guide but I am aware of it occuring to some people. Can you do me a favor and send me a few of the save game files that you know will crash the game please? I want to have a look at whats happening directly.

Thanks!

Madmatt

[ April 25, 2007, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Thanks for the guide Madmatt, but unfortunatly nothing worked for my "game will not start" issues. I even tried an app called winlauncherXP which helps set the CPU affinity before the game or the program starts, but that didn't work either.

Thanks again

Speedee

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Hi mx02nx02,

I wanted to get some more info about that "corrupt save" game issue before I added it to the Guide but I am aware of. Can you do me a favor and send me a few of the save game files that you know will crash the game please? I want to have a look at whats happening directly.

Thanks!

Madmatt

Sure I would be more then happy to send them to you. Gimme an hour or 2 and I will send some to your email. Thanks for looking into this. smile.gif

Ok I sent a couple savegames to your email. I should also mention that I grabbed the savegame files that I sent you and tried them on my other computer and exact same problem. CTD on loading.

So the same problem is occuring on both my computers. Playing the game on the other computer CTD's alot as well.

My other computer specs: (if it helps any)

Winxp SP2

EVGA 7600 GT

Asus A8N-VM mobo

2x 256 PC2100 PNY memory and 1 512 Corsair Valueselect

Maxtor 80 GIG Hard Drive.

AMD A64 3800+

Madmatt,

I've had the random freezes since I first installed the game. So, I tried your 3 recommendations:

turn off music - still had freezes

Turn off EAX - still had freezes

Turn off Shadows - I have played two games through so far without a freeze, over an hour of gameplay. This is a first for me. Crossing my fingers and I'll keep you all informed.

Madmatt

I’ve made a few inquiries and discovered that most new computer systems with Vista have DirectX 10 pre-installed.

The editor will not run with DirectX 10 and requires the latest DirectX 9 and although one or two people have back installed the older DirectX 9 over 10 I suspect many will be reluctant to do so.

Will it be possible to update the Editor so it runs with DirectX 10 and include it in the 1st patch?

Plus I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you all for great support in these trying times of post game release.

I downloaded the AMD 64 setup file (not dual core), and then turned off music, eax, and shadows, and didn't have a lock up with about 2 hours of play last night! I'm going to try turning things back on, one by one, to see what I can (and can't) get away with. Who knows, maybe just the AMD 64 upgrade did the trick. I'll keep you updated, and Thanks!

Hi Madmatt,

I have troubles with CTD during playing as well and most times the last safe file ( via quick or menu ) get corrupted too, same as nx02nx02 reported.

But I recoginse that this happens most times after frequent using safe-load-safe function and more frequent on quick safe-load function.

Do you interest in receiving more safe files for investigation ?

My system runs TOW with all features on and set to max without any other complains except small graphic flattering on trees in distance view and my image is that "only 1 CPU" option off cause small stucks. So I run my Intel core 2 duo with only 1 CPU on smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Pretty Disgusting! I waited all week to get this thinking how fun this will be on my brand new computer that I payed an arm and a lung for, with an upgraded video card that I paid extra for, just so I can play today's games with the great graphics, and what do I get? A game that immediately goes to a black screen and gives a pop up saying: {tow.exe has stopped working (when did it start working??!) A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.} Close Program

Real helpful that is. Can I have my $53 back? There must be a game worth the money out there that actually works! :mad:

I dont know if this is a demo problem or video card problem, I downloaded the Demo installed it and corrected the resolution to the right one tried to launch it again and no success....

I upgraded my Nvidia Ge8800 GTX drivers as well to up to date ones....and tried again no success...

why is the demo not launching for me?? am i doing something wrong please help me.....

my specs are

Dual Core Processor 3.3 GHz

Nvidia 8800 756mb GTX card

2 Gig Ram

• 2 weeks later...

after some serious slowdowns on this game every time more than 5 tanks were on screen - its one of the reasons I have ordered a new system - can someone post a reply here on what procedure should be if you are migrating systems

I remember seeing once something about needing to unregister the game if doing something like this but cant find the information again

Uninstall and unlicense the game from your old system (be sure to copy down the license code) and then just install the game on the new computer and when prompted to license, input the code.

When you run the uninstaller, you will be prompted to unlicense automatically.

Madmatt

just installed and test run the patch. Big improvement with waypoints, soldiers staying in place, etc. My biggest prob originally was that the game was incredibly, unplayably slow. That was quickly solved by deactivating one monitor (I have a dual display setup on a Core 2 Duo system).

With the new patch, I can now run the game with two monitors on, but it's not satisfyingly smooth. Quite jerky, in fact. So I'm still deactivating one screen. Not a serious issue, but if you can improve it so that it almost works with two, then I reckon it should with further tweaking run perfectly with two.

As I said, other than that, the general play seems significantly improved, though I've only had time to play the first battle in the new campaign so far, so haven't really given it a full run through. Thanks for the patch, though. This game deserves the support you're putting in.

• 4 months later...

Had problem with inverted screen and corrected the problem with the edits you wrote about in the ToW Troubleshooting Guide. However, the available full screen is only approximately 1/3 the original wide screen size.

Was hoping there exists another solution so that screen size could be maximized without having the original problem?

I have the ToW installed on a partitioned IMAC 24" computer running on MS XP Home with a 2.8GHz intel dual-core processor with 2GB Ram and an ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card.

Pls let me know if another solution is available. Thanks.