Anybody got a TOW map for Arnhem (Market Garden)?

Tyrant

Hi there fellow TOWers.

Am wondering if anybody has a map file for Arnhem.

Wanted to make one myself (as I am a dutch guy with interests in the Market Garden campaign), but I couldn't figure out how the Map Editor works. That plus I haven't found the time yet to go and figure out how it works...

If anybody with enough spare time on their hands feels like making one, mail me at tyrantthc@hotmail.com and I could provide you with the details on what the arnhem area looked like in sept '44.

I've searched the forum and found one MG mod, but don't know if it's historically acurate and if it's even based on one of the dutch citymaps of '44.

Thanks for reading through this if you came this far in the topic.

Greetz,

Niels

Ok, the size of the maps in the game has to be of 4x4 km, and the playable area in the center: 2x2 km. So if you want the bridgehead area of Osterbeeck, it may look roughly like this:

overbe10.jpg

[ May 01, 2008, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Tartari ]

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the map placing statics etc but in the meantime here's some more shots: -

Hartenstien Hotel

f_Oosterbeek3m_8e71608.jpg

f_Oosterbeek1m_f8693ec.jpg

Paras doing thier thing....

f_Oosterbeek4m_fc5035f.jpg

f_Oosterbeek6m_c1f0ad4.jpg

View over Rhine (lots to do here!)

f_Oosterbeek9m_bdfad77.jpg

Looking towards Oosterbeek

f_Oosterbeek1m_6a067aa.jpg

Still alot to do before it's finished ;)

More later.......... smile.gif

That is awesome! cant wait to download it. couple of questions on accuracy though. I know the movie "A bridge to far" tried to be pretty accurate, however I dont remember if the brits had AT guns near the Hotel? I know this is just a mock up of what you are trying to accomplish so I am not knocking anything here... just being curious. Also since the 9th and 10th SS were in the area, is someone going to make an infantry mod for them using Smocks, and dot pattern tunics?

I know the British had camo smocks for themselves which are real nice.... I have one. Cheers, and great work. keep it up.

I got the idea for the 6lb'er gun & jeep from a photo taken at the Hartenstein during the battle. So the answer is definately yes as the AT guns never made it as far as the bidge IIRC.

As you can see from the aove shots there's tons of work yet to do. TBH I'm wondering if it's gonna work, either I'll overload the game engine or it will look sh!t, finding a happy balance will be the key.

Originally posted by Juergen2SS:

Oh yeah.. one more things since I am no modder... LOL. Can you re-name the units and individual soldiers, tank commanders etc. Ie... Michael Wittman (Tank Commander)

YES in the mission/campaign editor!

BTW they didn't just have 6lb'ers they also had 17Lb'er guns shipped in in Hamilcar Gliders. I would have also included Tetrarch tanks as well but AFAIK they were only use in Normandy not Market Garden.

Anyway it's a moot point as I'm building a map not a mission, the units you see are for presentation purposes only.

I can only hope that you'll like my campaign (when I get it finished! 15 missions so far.), I've used a completely different design philosophy to the stock missions. Winning tactics & strategy are a lot more fuzzy than current stock missions in that you have randomly generated opponent forces (By that I mean a random number is generated & dictates the enemy force based on a number (3-5) of options. This means there's multiple solutions & you're never sure what or where the main threat will be. I like this I think it forces you to play more tactically rather than concentrate on single solutions, with lots of saves/reloads. Here's a representative piece of code to give you the idea of what I'm talking about:-

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">SetWorkArmy ( ARMY , 2 )

set @opt = ( RND )

if ( @opt <= 15 ) then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option1" )

ArtSupportChangeState ( 2 , ENABLE )

Delay ( 50 )

CreateRectByObject ( RECT , "Arty Rect" , 100 , ARMY , 1 , TANKS , 2 , NO_PANIC )

Delay ( 50 )

ArtSupportCall ( 2 , RECT , "Arty Rect" )

endif

if ( @opt <= 30 ) then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option2" )

CreateRectByObject ( RECT , "Mortar Rect" , 100 , ARMY , 1 , HUMAN , 2 , NO_PANIC )

MortarSupportChangeState ( 2 , ENABLE )

Delay ( 50 )

MortarSupportCall ( 2 , RECT , "Mortar Rect" )

endif

if ( @opt <= 45 ) then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option3" )

CreateRectByObject ( RECT , "Arty Rect" , 100 , ARMY , 1 , HUMAN , 2 , NO_PANIC )

Delay ( 50 )

ArtSupportCall ( 2 , RECT , "Arty Rect" )

Delay ( 50 )

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option3" )

Delay ( 5 )

CreateRectByObject ( RECT , "Tank Rect" , 100 , ARMY , 1 , TANKS , 2 , NO_PANIC )

Delay ( 50 )

RunCommand ( GROUP , "Option3" , STORM , RECT , "Tank Rect" )

halt

endif

if ( @opt <= 60 ) then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option4" )

AviaSupportChangeState ( 3 , BATTLEPLANE , ENABLE )

CreateRectByObject ( RECT , "Air Attack Rect" , 100 , ARMY , 1 , ALL , 2 , NOT_EMPTY )

Delay ( 5 )

AviaSupportCall ( 3 , BATTLEPLANE , RECT , "Air Attack Rect" )

endif

if ( @opt <= 85 ) then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option5" )

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option5" )

Delay ( 5 )

RunCommand ( GROUP , "Option5" , ATTACK , RECT , "final objective" )

endif

if ( @opt >= 86 ) then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option6" )

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Option6" )

Delay ( 5 )

RunCommand ( GROUP , "Option6" , STORM , RECT , "final objective" )

Delay ( 20000 )

endif

</pre>

True in regards to entering buildings. I think Urban combat is extremely challanging and very exciting. I still enjoy CMBB and CMAK just for that purpose. I do wish they had more builing mods for CMAK and CMBB, with 3 story structures and such so you can better simulate a real City enviornment like Stalingrad, Berlin, and other Russian townes. Even more mediteranean mods would be nice... it would be sweet to march troops thru Paris, or Rome..