Thinking of getting ToW...

Treetop64

...and yes, I know; for you guys who already have it you're thinking "What the hell is he waiting for? Get it!"

I have the first ToW Seelow Heights demo, but I'm still enjoying CMBB SE quite a bit.

And I'm now on a strict budget.

So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of moving from CMBB SE to ToW? Is there a jump-in-and-play mode like the Quick Battle mode in CMBB, as well as more in-depth modes? Is there a campaign mode (as opposed to CMBB's stand alone missions and operations)? Can you create your own campaigns? Can you record and replay full engagements (ie. movie making)? Can you pause the game before issuing orders, or do you have to always make them on the fly?

Any answers to other questions I've not asked are happily welcomed.

And what is considered a decent rig to run ToW?

Mine:

> ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe PCI-Express board.

> Corsair 2GB DDR2 RAM.

> Intel P4 @ 3.8GHz (Prescott).

> ATI X1900XTX 512MB video card.

> VeiwSonic 1680x1050 flat monitor.

This setup is overkill when running CMBB (except I get slightly "squished" visuals due to the aspect ratio of the monitor - any help here is welcomed smile.gif ), but how would it rate on different visual settings in ToW, from sparse and megre settings to the full-switched grandiose visuals?

Thanks Doods.

P.S. - One more thing. Are multi-turreted vehicles modeled in ToW. Tanks like the T-35 are, unfortunatley, not modelled in the CM series because the game engine does not support multi-turreted types. Kind of renders CMAK relatively pointless for the allied side due to the lack of support for M3s.

[ February 11, 2008, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Treetop64 ]

Too many questions. :D

You played the demo right ?

So you know how your system will run TOW, right.

You don´t need to move on from CM:BB to TOW, you can play both, they are very different.

Presently i don´t think multiturret tanks are modelled ( they didn´t last the first 6 weeks of Barbarossa anyway.

But i think Grants and Lee were modeled in CM:Afrika Korps. They were kind of multiturreted, sort of..

You can play multiplayer games on TOW against seven AI oponents, and plus you can use the quick battle generator to create new missions ASAP, and the map editor allows the creation of completely new maps or edit the existing ones.

About the tight budget, no problem here because the euro is worth 1,45 dolars. tongue.gif

Now go buy the game !

I hope i helped.

I think mikoyan give you a very good advice i just told about cmbb and tow.

There to very different games is not a good idea to compare them there is not a quick battle generator nor a map generator like in cmbb.

You have to micromanage alot in tow of course you can pause the game and play, the missions are difficult, i mean really difficult. So you can get in some of them frustrated. but it is a good mental exercise. if you have play the mission that comes with the demo you have (seelow highs) you got a preety good idea what i am talking about.

if you play that misson in your rig and it run smooth you won have any problem with the new version of the game.

Onces more do not compare CMBB to TOW they come with same publisher but with different companies.

I say buy it.

Just to chuck my 2 cents in!

1. No point comparing TOW to any of the CM series... they are two different kettles of fish.

2. after playing CM for so long, you will probably initially be disappointed with the Quick Battle generator. CM is an unusual game, in the fact that it has such a massive amount of replayability. There have been big steps forward in TOW with the addition of the Battle generator, but it is still not a 2 minute job to create a battle of the like of CM.

3. Your setup should run it no problems... Ive only git a 128mb ATI X1600 card and am able to run TOW on max settings and enjoy all its glory :D

There are still a few frustrating things in TOW... the least of which is the overwhelming odds you face in nearly all engagements.... BUT, the games looks beautiful and really does feell nice to play.

I would highly recommend buying it, budget wise, its not too expensive compared to other big titles, but you should purchase it knowing that you are getting something quite different to anything in the CM series.

BUY IT... LIKE IT YOU WILL

Well, I thought about getting TOW as well.. but that thought lasted about one second.

Then I whooped out my credit card and bought it. smile.gif

Guess my main reason to finally give it a try was the "uber patch". I mean - if a company puts in the effort to produce a 1.2 Gigabyte patch, that company is well worth supporting... no? ;)

TreeTop64 - you can set your ViewSonic monitor to not "squish" non-widescreen resolutions - in the menu, it will be called "Aspect ratio" or something similar. My options are 'Native' or 'Full' - select Native, as Full forces the entire screen to be filled.

My Sceptre is also 1650x1080, so I play any CM game at 1280x1024. I'd rather have a little black border on screen than that strange 'squish' effect...

Also - Multi-turrets are, in fact, modeled in CMAK, it's one of the upgrades over the CMBB. There are M3's aplenty, it's a gas. Check out the product page here at Battlefront, they have several Grant screen shots.

[ February 14, 2008, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Originally posted by Rainer:

Well, I thought about getting TOW as well.. but that thought lasted about one second.

Then I whooped out my credit card and bought it. smile.gif

Guess my main reason to finally give it a try was the "uber patch". I mean - if a company puts in the effort to produce a 1.2 Gigabyte patch, that company is well worth supporting... no? ;)

Rainer, as soon as you notice this is anything but a serious combined arms sim, you´ll regret! ;)

"If a company puts in the effort to produce a 1.2 Gigabyte patch.."...I´d think the "game" comes 1 year early. tongue.gif