"Impressions from a beta tester on upcoming patch"

Jmayer

Well guys I have great news. The new patch is soon to be uploaded and ready for release. I have played the last beta with Madmatt and Elvis and I must say it was truely amazing!

First I must say that the new game fixes are wonderful with the new Battle Generator and Editors. They work very well together and make missions almost by themselves.

A new addition is the "Optional" Tool Bar that comes with the new patch. This allows you to chat with others about ToW and other battlefront games online in real time it makes it easier to hookup with players and the new "Online server Feature"works extreamly will too.

Madmatt did well for his time using both his machines to test the beta. He took on Myself and Elvis ( Not that we are badarses ) but time stopped him from winning. Alas to bad for you Matt....hehe.

With the new battle gen you can set the timmer yourself to make a game last longer to give you more tactical planning time. I think 1C has done a great job on makeing the new patch and I hear that it is ready for upload as soon as Madmatt puts a few finishing touches on it. Last word is it is coming very soon.

I will be looking for you all on the new toolbar for Battlefront when you get the patch.

That is all I can say for now and hope I have you to play online with soon.

[ January 27, 2008, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Jmayer ]

Heheheh, that was too much fun! I want to point out a few details as well that we haven't really spoken about yet either. All of the new MP battles have been updated to now allow you to select from a variety of different "force pools". What that means is that while in the past if you played a specific battle and played as for instance Germans, you always were offered only the same set of units. Now, each MP battle offers up to a total of TWENTY different taskgroups for you to choose from!

And with the Battle Generator Program, you can now make your own new MP battles and create your own taskgroups for players to choose from.

Lets not forget that with all the other updates to the Multiplayer gameplay, you can now combine AI forces with human players. With the Battle Generator you can even assign units from the same "alliance" (friendly to one another) different objectives in a given battle.

By combining the Battle Generator with the Mission - Campaign Editor you can unlock even more advanced features and when you get tired of playing over the same 50+ maps or so already included with the game, feel free to use the updated Map Editor to modify and create your own!

Okay, I could go on and on about the new patch and what it offers, but I need to finish getting this baby ready for you. I know the wait has been long but its almost at an end!

Madmatt

[ January 27, 2008, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Oh, and it was kinda fun playing the game as two players at once. I am luckly that my monitor has Picture in Picture ability so i could keep track of both *games* at once. Handling two mice and two keyboards on my desk at one time was a little more difficult.

And for those wondering about the technical details of the MP match JMayer speaks about, he was hosting and even though I was connecting from two of my home PC's at once via the same internet connection, I didnt getting any game lag at all on either system and neither did Elvis (who was also playing).

You guys really wont believe how much better MP matches are now!

Madmatt

Yes I forgot to mention how quickly the Multiplayer games loaded! Multiplayer has changed alot with the new patch and will by far be one of the most played parts of the game even though the single player is most gratifing.

Multi has short load times now ( under 2 mins or less ) and with the new coding it has vertually no lag even with older machines and in my case Maxed out Video settings. Truely a work of art to be admired for all eternity. Well a long time anyways.

Yes, I had no lag. Matt and Jmayer failed to convey what I feel is the biggest MP improvement and that is the timer. Previous ToW MP was pretty much a Deathmatch only game. Sure one side may be defending while the other attacks but none of that really mattered when the game didn't end until the last person was dead. It was like playing CMx1 with unlimted turns..just one person plays till the other is dead. This puts the mission back in mission. Can't be stressed enough how much this improves MP gameplay.

This thread only seems to be talking about MP upgrades. The upgrades that have come with this patch will blow a lot of peoples minds. Maybe I would be talking out of school to discuss things publicly. I compared it to the difference between Howard Stern of regular radio and Stern on Sirius...a whole new ballgame.

Originally posted by CeltiCid:

hummmm i have Spanish version of the game. Can i install this patch and play while i wait for the spanish version?

No, this patch is only for the English language Battlefront.com version of the game. Other patch versions will be released depending on their respective publishers timeline and interest in doing so. So be sure to bug the publisher of your version (Kaylpso, Anuman etc...) to get on the ball!

Madmatt