Video Tutorials for the Mission Editor

Webwing

Originally posted by Webwing:

I will wait for the patch before I do the next tutorial. Apparently there will be waypoints and some other changes that might affect the editor as well. I don't want to do something that will be redundant in a weeks time.

Thanks Webwing, this is a very good idea ;)

Regards,

War Raven.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Androo:

1 - 3 are great, but the links for 4 and 5 seem to be down. Or is it just me?

And 5 is the one I really need- dang it!

Anyway, thank you for your efforts Webwing!

Thanks! smile.gif

I don't know what happens to these sites sometimes. But since they host the files for free I'm not so sure I have the right to complain. :rolleyes:

Moved them all to rapidshare. They all seem to be working last I checked.

If you are still having trouble downloading please send me an email.

Webwing, sorry, I can't find your email.

I think the problem may be with Rapidshare, perhaps going above a limited number of d/ls in a certain time?

I managed to get #5 last night, but now #6 won't d/l. :rolleyes:smile.gif

I'm with pad152: a more permanent arrangement would be great, so that you don't have to keep moving these invaluable tutorials around.

Originally posted by rune:

Webwing,

Been up to my neck with CMSF, first time I saw this thread. Wanted to say great job and thanks for doing this for the fans of the game! Excellent job!

Rune

Hey Rune, thanks!

I can imagine how busy you guys are... only two months to go! Looking forward to see the results of your hard work! :D

I managed to get #5 last night, but now #6 won't d/l. :rolleyes:smile.gif

Rapidshare seems pretty reliable... 12 downloads in the last couple of hours since I uploaded it.

I checked and the link is working fine.

Unfortunatly its 28M and my mailbox won't work with that kind of file, else I'd just send it to you. Just need to be a bit patient, sorry.

--

Salute Webwing!!

Those videos opend up some doors. It's almost done mastercam style lol. You know, I really can't wait for that map editor. Before they shut the lights on ToW my goal is a complete conversion of this game to modern warfare as it may have happend in 1982. Of course massive re skinning and math will have to be done but it can be done. Great videos man, can't wait to see what you do with the map stuff.

BTW

I second the motion that these tutorials should be up on the BF website, think about it, he did on his own. Give credit where credit is due.

Salute.

Sorry Webwing, I thought it was probably me- didn't mean to hassle you about this! :cool:

I will keep trying, I'm sure I will get them all eventually. Really impressive stuff, very professional!

Now I've finally got a few minutes to actually watch #5- sweet. smile.gif

Webwing

I have a question. In many board games it is necessary to "exit" units from the field of play to receive points towards victory conditions. Is it possible to simulate this in TOW? Could one possibly create a rect that once a unit entered it, it is removed from the game and some victory condition is updated. So, if say, three trucks are exited this way, it triggers a win for the player?

I see that there is a RemoveFromGroup statement, but my suspicion is that this does not remove the unit from the field of play, but rather moves it from some exisiting grouped state. I realize you could definitely do this by just having a set number of units be present in a rect, but then their continued presence would not achieve the desired effect as they can be shot at or shoot at enemy units. What is desired is that they no longer exist in the field of play.

Any comments?

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Webwing

I have a question. In many board games it is necessary to "exit" units from the field of play to receive points towards victory conditions. Is it possible to simulate this in TOW? Could one possibly create a rect that once a unit entered it, it is removed from the game and some victory condition is updated. So, if say, three trucks are exited this way, it triggers a win for the player?

I see that there is a RemoveFromGroup statement, but my suspicion is that this does not remove the unit from the field of play, but rather moves it from some exisiting grouped state. I realize you could definitely do this by just having a set number of units be present in a rect, but then their continued presence would not achieve the desired effect as they can be shot at or shoot at enemy units. What is desired is that they no longer exist in the field of play.

Any comments?

I don't see why this would not be possible.

It would be ideal to have a command to make the unit change to sleep mode. If there is a command to make it "wake up" there might be an undocumented one that does just that.

But with what I know:

I'd use ObjectChangePosition and ChangeArmy command. Create an army. Make it neutral. Create a point outside the Territory area as close to the outside border of the map as possible.

As soon as units get into the area you specify they will be changed to the neutral army and transfered to the point outside the map with hold command orders.

That should work. Haven't tried it though! Yet!! :D

Others might have a better idea...

-

Sorry Webwing, I thought it was probably me- didn't mean to hassle you about this! :cool:

No hassle!!! smile.gif

Hope you find the answers you're looking for in the videos.

Originally posted by pad152 :

Webwing

Can you tell us how to create the map for the mission briefing sceen!

Thanks

I did it in a sort of complicated way.

I'm close to finding an easier way to doing this. A lot of people ask that.

I have a felling it will be the topic of the next video. ;)

--

Originally posted by ShiftZ:

Salute Webwing!!

..Before they shut the lights on ToW my goal is a complete conversion of this game to modern warfare as it may have happend in 1982. Of course massive re skinning and math will have to be done but it can be done...

Great idea! But I don't expect them shutting the lights any time soon. :D

Originally posted by M.R.Maiornikov:

Thank you very much for those amazing tutorials

Thanks. Hope they really help you get started.

--

Webwing

Wrote this code:

{Trigger}

Init

CallTrigger ( "leavemap" )

{Trigger}

leavemap

Delay ( 10000 )

ReinforcementDestroy ( 1 , GROUP , "Group_Truck1" )

I was just trying to get the first part of the equation: Wait 10 seconds and then make the Group disappear. I got the following error when I compiled:

*** ERROR *** [TRIGGER] leavemap: in getObjTypeCode "1"

*** ERROR *** [TRIGGER] leavemap: GROUP is not an integer number

=== END OF TRIGGER COMPILATION ===

It's not a syntax error. There is something wrong with the ReinforcementDestroy call, but I can't figure out what. It looks OK next to the example given in the HELP file.

ReinforcementDestroy ( GROUP , 1 , "Group_Truck1" )

Well... that DID get rid of the compiler error. But when I ran the script, it didn't do as I had hoped. I'm not sure this can be used with non-sleeping entities. It seems to be a sister-command to ReinforcementLand.

I'm a bit busy right now to try this but as far as I can remember ReinforcementDestroy did not work well for me either. Like you said it only seems to work for the ones that were sleeping in the first place.

Now I'm also curious... Wonder what others have to say.

Manx,

Have you been successful with this?

SlapHappy,

Have you tried the ObjectChangePosition and ChangeArmy command solution? Should work fine for your needs.

--

SlapHappy

I've used ReinforcementDestroy with no problems, when I unlimber guns.

my syntax is:

ReinforcementDestroy ( GROUP , "Group_Truck1" )

I have no ", 1," in mine.

Hope that helps

Oudy