buildings and troops

handihoc

You know, this 'inf can't enter buildings' thing is kind've odd, given that most of the buildings have their interiors modelled in some detail. The church at St Mere Eglise has altar, stained glass windows, the works - makes you wanna kneel down and worship! Even some of the huts got modelled interior wooden walls, with cracks you can peer out of.

Somewhere (not sure which thread) there's talk of buildings being enterable in a future update. As it happens, it isn't a serious lack in the scenarios so far, but is it a realistic possibility a little ways down the road?

My guess is that the scenario's were kept away from cities and towns because of no-building-entry, so it's only logical that it's not cramping the scenarios as they are now. I'd love to see building entry as well, but I believe it will not happen. Main reason for this is the difficulty of programming AI in such a way that they will make good use of it. I think no 3d game has ever pulled it of with full AI (no scripting of course). And looking at the current state of the AI, proper AI entering buildings seems lightyears away.

Would'nt those types of CPU calculations cause even more number crunching on the machine?

I noticed the program is constantly running calculations on your position units equipment and the same for Enemy so would'nt it be more CPU intensive for this? Not trying to be negative would like to see the same but can we get stability out of the game first?

Originally posted by Moon:

Entering buildings is not easy to do, but we think we can pull it off. Something for an add-on though, not for a (free) patch.

Martin

Cool Moon, I admire BF's believe in the current game and it's future (I do hope the add-on doesn't take another 5 years though ;).

I'd pay because I love this game so much but I'd be a bit annoyed if I had to pay for something like enterable buildings, new units and the suchlike that are really things for a patch rather than a pay addon.

I'd completely understand paying if it was something like a whole new theatre with the accompanying maps, such as Africa.

Entering buildings is not easy to do, but we think we can pull it off. Something for an add-on though, not for a (free) patch.
Great news! I was thinking that buildings could be could be coded abstractly.... much the vehicles are handled in the game.

Luckily 1C has the resources and the belief in the product as well. The good sales are helping, of course.
I'm really getting the sense that there is a hardcore following building up for this game and it could really provide a long life span for ToW. I will enthusiastically support any add-on work!

-Zach