Bazookas, Fausts and Piat

chanss

Where playing the allied campaign and got a few tanks taken out by Panzerfausts. Nothing wrong with a faust that takes out a tank, but the range it happens on bugs me. it was around 120-150 meters. I believe that is WAY WAY too far, from what i have read the maximum range you could engage with some hope of hitting anything was 70 meters, preferable range was 30-40 meters. I think the range for all of theese weapons is about the same with the bazooka holding the edge infront off the others.

Something for the patch?

Each weapon in the game has a real range (according to TTX). Range of fire from Panzerfaust100 is 100 meters. From Panzerfaust30 – 30 meters, Panzerfaust60 – 60 meters. Those are max ranges from which they can fire in target. It doesn’t mean that they will hit the target from such distance but there is still some chance.

Which one was used in you’re situation?

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Are you sure it wasn't a Schrek? Those can hit up to 180 meters I think. Everytime I have had a panzerfaust, the range was accurately represented.

Max range of Panzerschreck is 180. You are right. ;)

Didnt know there was any schrecks in the game?. But anyway if I can hit tanks or get hit myself on regular basis on 120+ meters i think they have it modeld wrong in the game. Last scenario i played "closing the gap" I had a tank gotten knocked out on way over 200 meters as a matter of fact. The rocket arch was like from a trebuchet. I dont like that.

[ May 02, 2007, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: chanss ]

Originally posted by chanss:

Didnt know there was any schrecks in the game?. But anyway if I can hit tanks or get hit myself on regular basis on 120+ meters i think they have it modeld wrong in the game. Last scenario i played "closing the gap" I had a tank gotten knocked out on way over 200 meters as a matter of fact. The rocket arch was like from a trebuchet. I dont like that.

As I already wrote before max range (even for shrek) is 180 meters. They can’t shot in target 200 meters away.

I replayed the scenario again and it was a schreck alright. They always seems to start shooting at max range, and most often hits too. Range is as was said around 180 meters. I would like an accuracy correction in the patch for these little pigz. They are too accurate with their rockets. Is it only me that thinks the rocket guys are a bit too ûber?

The shrecks are indeed scarily accurate. I know they had the competitors beat by a country mile in the accuracy stakes, that much the experts seem to agree on. Are they too accurate? I couldn't really tell you.

Funny tale to tell about Shreck max range. I had two Shermans, one with it's main gun disabled. The disabled one was engaging infantry with it's MG while the other was 50 meters or so behind, down a hill and out of LOS as a reserve. Then a Panzerchreck was fired at it from roughly max range.The RPG went just over the disabled tank and arced down. Straight onto the other tank! A complete fluke. I was horrified and not quite enjoying this feature at that particular moment, I can tell you. Luckily for me only the crew was killed and the tank undamaged so the crew from the damaged tank got a new ride out off the deal and able to claim victory in the end.

Pretty neat, I thought.

Originally posted by stic.man:

elmar, did the new crew throw out the bodies of the old dead crew?

that is always neat.

No, this is abstracted.

After a crewmember is killed his image is 'ghosted' and then after a while he is removed from the tank. This is not portrayed on screen. In the case of entire crews getting killed I assume the Dead Crewmembers Faeries' come round and clean the tank out. Probably the faeries hang a new pine air freshner in the tank too. smile.gif

Originally posted by K9crump:

It seems that the ai is way better with the bazooka then the humans...

Mike

It sure seems that way to me. But unless I hear different from the Russians I'm going to presume it's more a fault of the human brain then a fault of ToW. I can remember just about every occasion where I needed desperately for the Zook/Shreck/Piat to hit and didn't or when same of the enemy took out a vital tank of mine. The occasions where I got that kill or where the enemy failed to hit are distinctly less well remembered.

That is a common phenomenon we also saw a lot in CM in the early days. Only after some proper statistics were taken it became apparent that it's the human brain playing tricks. The enemy (AI or human enemy) appears to always be more lucky than oneself, simply because that one time the other guy has luck is never ever forgotten nor forgiven smile.gif Whereas if you're lucky, "it's just skill" ;)

Martin

Yoyo! MOON! Damn right there, I never have any luck, I only win my scenarios due to my incredible tactical aptitude and all around geniuos in all areas possible. AI ONLY wins because its cheating and has omnipotent unfair knowledge and skillz.

tongue.giftongue.gif

[ May 02, 2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: chanss ]

LOL! That was a good one Moon. It always seems that way. Recently I had a little Stuart tank that seem almost invincable. Deflecting shots from AT guns, Jagdpanzer IV, and finally 2 shots from shrek at point blank range finally finished him off. Damn!!! I guess the allies should have mass produced them, instead of that stupid sherman...LOL.

Mike

Originally posted by Moon:

That is a common phenomenon we also saw a lot in CM in the early days. Only after some proper statistics were taken it became apparent that it's the human brain playing tricks. The enemy (AI or human enemy) appears to always be more lucky than oneself, simply because that one time the other guy has luck is never ever forgotten nor forgiven smile.gif Whereas if you're lucky, "it's just skill" ;)

Martin

Right on. I'm a neurobiologist and consequently have taken quite a few psychology courses are well. This is a very commkon human trait that we all have. The human brain is good at highlighting what it wants to recognize and downplay everything else. That's why you get those nutcases who keep thinking they are seeing "666" everywhere. ;)