Tank crews refusing to fire.

ChrisND

fuckingtankerwm0.jpg

I notice this on almost every mission. At close ranges tank crews often refuse to fire, or fire very infrequently, usually leading to their premature demise.

This particular crew had AP ammo, had no damage, was not wounded or panicked, the gun elevation was good, etc. Yet, they sat in that position, actively tracking with their turret, as three Pz II's did a dance around them and even bumping into them. This went on for at least two minutes before the Pz IIs got bored and shot them.

If there is some thing actually stopping them from firing, I think a little game feedback is in order, because this is... well... I don't even need to say it. ;)

Also, if you have the Hold Fire button selected for that unit they wont fire.

I have done this myself several times. Put a AT Gun in an ambush location, and tell them to Hold Fire. I then select the AT Gun and click on the tank I want it to shoot at, but it doesn't. I finally realised it is because I had the Hold Fire button selected. As soon as I unselected the button, boom - they started firing.

Muldoon

I recently had a problem with an AT gun refusing to fire at a nearby enemy tank. Finally I ordered it to aim at the turret. It immediately started firing, disabling the tank gun.

This might help in situations where the tank is in a hull down position.

Gravy

I noticed that too...My King Tiger didn't fire even though the little voice was saying "Fire!" in German...It was quite near and eventually the only way I got him to fire was by driving the Tiger right up to the Russian tank and then it fired...(I know it could see the Russian as the Russian kept hitting the Tiger)...

Originally posted by Hinkar:

I noticed that too...My King Tiger didn't fire even though the little voice was saying "Fire!" in German...It was quite near and eventually the only way I got him to fire was by driving the Tiger right up to the Russian tank and then it fired...(I know it could see the Russian as the Russian kept hitting the Tiger)...

Yep, some big guns can´t aim low, hit the turret order is good in that situations, they shot at the middle hull by default.

The other day my infantry was wasted by enemy infantry, because i forget to deselect the hold fire button. It hapens to the best :rolleyes:

I think the AI should over rule your order to hold fire if the ambush has failed and your troops come under fire, although it's a general rule to fire into an area where you suspect a ambush is placed to force the foe to react and give the poistion away,

Maybe the AI should have a delay trigger if it comes under fire in a ambush poition or under hold fire order b4 it reacts

Personally I'm glad that my little army of pixels listens to me. If they had AI that overrid 'hold fire' commands there wouldn't be enough control.

I also have made the same mistake as above. I guess is just takes getting used to which units are holding fire and which aren't.