no mortars ?

KiloAlpha4

well what I found from search was yep no field mortars they are off map but no reason why also no reason why wespe etc can't fire in a upward arc that i can see they fire like tanks. They are tracked artillery but when I click attack here they shoot straight like a tank and can't fire over objects like artillery is suppose to. I like the game but holy shortcutting bat man ! Most likely the reason for no field mortar teams...they'd have to program them to be able to fire in a arc :eek:

what i find strange with the off board mortar is that where ever i want them to shell something the shell more the 100 square meters and i thought mortars where used not for wide shelling but for target a specific object like an at. But when i do that the chance i hit it is smaller then hitting another at which i never saw???

:confused:

PLZ fix

I think it's possible the reason they took mortars out was to increase player difficulty in the single player missions. Think about it:

One of the biggest problems is protecting light-medium armor from AT guns. Since AT guns are pretty thick in many of the scenarios, think how much easier it would be to deal with at least some of these enemy assets using an indirect fire weapon like a mortar? Since actually hiding AT guns is especially hard in this game, I think mortars would be quite effective, if they had been included (and I still think they should have been).

KiloAlpha? Possible mod opportunity? But perhaps indirect fire is impossible within this game engine.........

And you would be wrong Slap. Moon posted this months ago.

Tripod MGs are still in, but on-map mortars have been removed (and are now only available as off-map mortar support) because the amount of animations, ballistics and in general code support was too much to realize it for the initial release. But, like you said - a lot of work has been done (not only with mortars but also in other areas of the game) so if the game does well, chances are high that we'll be seeing a lot of sweet additions

Martin

it seems funny to me how things that were "not included because they were too hard to put in" magically end up in a add on for 40 to 50 bucks ;)

KiloAlpha? Possible mod opportunity? But perhaps indirect fire is impossible within this game engine.........
it is possible but to code the models and animations etc is the problem especially if you have to add the models from scratch. Then they have to be added to the item lists etc etc etc. Kind of a pain in the butt to do unfortunately. Be much easier if they had even 1 because you could then simply clone it for all sides so really the too hard excuse is lame because they also could have even made 1 mortar team and cloned it with some uniform color changes even. I would have been happy with even that.Again it simply comes down to shortcutting in the game development.

I think it's possible the reason they took mortars out was to increase player difficulty in the single player missions. Think about it:
having mortars in coh doesn't effect the difficulty of the sp missions whatsoever.

[ April 23, 2007, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: KiloAlpha4 ]