Why are my tanks dancing around

Nikki Mond

OK what did I miss here. I place a tank in a nice defensive position behind a wall low enough to stick my gun over. Then the tank rolls ahead, breaks the wall, waits moves a bit more etc.

I tried the defend command, didn't stop the initiative. The worst is when he decides to relocate a short distance exposing his flank.

as soon as you hit begin battle after placing units you have to hit pause then set ALL units to hold position from assault which does suck. They should hold position by default, I agree. More additions for the patch ;)

P.S. those stone walls won't provide you any useful cover or los benefits from the enemy only buildings will. they are there just for eye candy as is trees and shrubs etc.

I played the demo once. The second tutorial battle where you are supposed to take a trench.

I couldn't stop my tanks from constantly moving forward until they were literally driving over the trench. I told them to hold, defend, and everything else I could think of to get them to sit still like I wanted.

That pretty much turned me off.

lol what i said but when placing units you should also be able to tell it to hold position, defend, advance etc which currently you can not do for some strange reason.

I couldn't stop my tanks from constantly moving forward until they were literally driving over the trench
Simply clicking hold should make them stop if not hit stop then hold position, either way works for me.

Originally posted by KiloAlpha4:

as soon as you hit begin battle after placing units you have to hit pause then set ALL units to hold position from assault which does suck. They should hold position by default, I agree. More additions for the patch ;)

I agree, Hold Position should have been been the default order. As is now you'll need to inordinately babysit units to make sure they won't wonder off after they reached their ordred location.

P.S. those stone walls won't provide you any useful cover or los benefits from the enemy only buildings will. they are there just for eye candy as is trees and shrubs etc.

Completely untrue. Walls block LOS and will stop shells and rifle fire. A tank hiding behind a wall will be effectively hull down.

Completely untrue. Walls block LOS and will stop shells and rifle fire. A tank hiding behind a wall will be effectively hull down.
not in the russian mission ;) those su 100's and 155's etc go right through walls and my tanks behind them.They are suppose to block los in real life but not in the game.

Originally posted by Elvis:

I disagree. I don't want my units to default in the hold position. If I am busy doing something I want them doing what the AI thinks they should do.

The only time I'd leave them off Hold Position is when I'm defending - I've seen the AI fall back in a trench network (on its own) and seen individual troops rush at enemy tanks to throw AT Grenades. Unfortunatly, and I know I should stop comparing, but unlike in Close Combat - where you gave the order to hold (Defend / Ambush) and the AI would move if they felt it was appropriate (to get a kill, or to avoid certain death) the AI doesn't do that in ToW, if you tell them to hold they hold until their morale goes.

On a side note, I also had problems getting my units to hold in the Demo - my BT7s were quite happy to run amok on the Trenches - but the full game not so.

Also, I've noticed that if I have 4 tanks, and 2 are on Hold and 2 aren't, and I select all 4 and click "Hold Position" it DOES NOT make all 4 hold, it'll tell to two that weren't holding to hold, and the two that were holding to stop holding...

...that's alot of holds :D

When you are attacking and the target moves into cover your tanks try to get into a valid shooting position again. I actually like it that way. First I also put all my tanks on hold position, but then i wondered why they stopped shooting after a short while ;)

man, i just had my jagdpanzer in THE perfect ambush position behind a hill. a IS2 shows up in front of him with his side exposed, i order my jagdpanzer to shoot the IS2 who was 50m right in front of him anyway. and the jagdpanzer thought it was funny to start pivoting and making small moves and get his flank turned to the IS2 who by that time had his turret pointed at him and BOOM jagdpanzer gone...

@pevs86: i dont remember that in CC tanks would reposition themselves on their own. the only thing they did was rotate themselves toward the enemy. immagine what a mess it would have been in CC if like in TOW units would move on their own unless specifically ordered not to do it...

allowing units to move on their own by default is a mistake, as soon as atank arrives to destination you have to make sure it wont drive away and set it on don't move order...

They move, because they want to get a clear line of sight of their enemies they're engaging. Just order them to hold, that should do it.

Personally, I just baby sit my tanks in the demo mission. Order them to hold ground, hold fire. Enemy tanks stop with intervals to take a shoot on you, click hold fire again and there goes a 128mm Jagdtiger shell to a stopping "dead" target smile.gif It's really fun.

Sometimes I don't understand how an IS-2/T-34 keep going after grabbing that 128mm shell though tongue.gif

Kilo, are you sure that the tank doesn't have a track damaged perhaps?

Martin

nope tracks were good, guns were nocked out though. It is like it is stuck in reverse withdraw mode and won't come out . tried stop, hold position etc nothing stopped it but giving them a forward point to move to then hitting hold position before they got to the end of the move point thus locking them still. Kind of weird. See if I can repeat it maybe just a glitch.

Originally posted by Rak:

They move, because they want to get a clear line of sight of their enemies they're engaging. Just order them to hold, that should do it.

sup RAK smile.gif

the jagdpIV and the IS2 were standing at 50 meters distance, no obstacles at all between them. the IS2 basically fell into the trap i had setup for him, with my JGPzIV pointed directly to the flank of the unsuspecting IS2

if the jagd wanted to reposition to have a better LOS, then why did the IS2 just rotated his turret and fired the hell out the JAGDpIV's flank? meanwhile i was jumping up and down on my chair yelling at the JAGDpIV to stop turning around...

BTW, i just had the crew of my kingtiger disappear?!? i noticed that one by one the crewmembers of the kingtiger were disappearing, they didnt leave the tank, or werent shot. so suddenly i have an empty kingtiger standing in a field! with no bodies around it and no damage, and no crew!

what has happened???

I think it doesn't mean if enemy can shoot your tank, yours can shoot it as well. IS-2 has a turret, better gun traverse angles. Jagdpanzer on the other hand, has limited gun traverse. It may just wanted to get into a better position.

I'm not sure, but if the tank "thought" it couldn't penetrate IS-2 it might be trying to get into a better position as well.

Or dunno, maybe we should have a developer around here who knows the things better?

Originally posted by KiloAlpha4:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Kilo, are you sure that the tank doesn't have a track damaged perhaps?

Martin

nope tracks were good, guns were nocked out though. It is like it is stuck in reverse withdraw mode and won't come out . tried stop, hold position etc nothing stopped it but giving them a forward point to move to then hitting hold position before they got to the end of the move point thus locking them still. Kind of weird. See if I can repeat it maybe just a glitch. </font>

Originally posted by Elvis:

I disagree. I don't want my units to default in the hold position. If I am busy doing something I want them doing what the AI thinks they should do.

But this is exactly why ambushes are made impossible in this game. I've setup a tank in a hull down position just behind a hill, enemy pz's are moving in exposing their flank travelling down a road around a bend, all the tank had to do was wait for the pz's to roll into perfect flank shot position (out of sight of enemy pz's), my tank got really exited and decided to drive over the hill, stop half way with multiple pz IVC's blazing away at him. This was a rather experienced t34 crew that had been through 3 battles allready or so... They were toast obviously.

AI messing up "real WW2 tactics" (as it's being advertised) means the game is nothing more than a simple ww2 rts without healthbars...

Yes, I've got the same problem with tanks. No matters what order I use to tell them STAY THERE !!!, they move whenever and wherever they want to.. smile.gif

I have to pay more attention to my AI tank movements than to the enemy troops, hehehe , patch, patch, patch ...

Regards,