Inf. to Armor Ratio

The_Jetset

I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet. (Should be waiting for me when I get home this evening!!)

I know that the Infantry to Armor ratio has been increased. But how does it feel in the Demo??

Is it basically a tank-fest where the player with the last tank standing wins??

I remember in CC that this ratio was always an ongoing discussion form battle prior to every release.

Has ToW finally gotten it right?

Personally, I like the more realistic approach. Tanks should be rare, require a lot of Inf support and should abosutly RULE if positioned well.

Guest Panzer Boxb

The demo scenario is definitely armor heavy and can inflict massive damage on infantry that does not have long range AT assets.

In the full game you will have all-infantry missions, you will have some with just a couple of tanks and lots of infantry, and you will have tank-battles. It's all there. Difficult to show something like that in the demo, which really had a slightly different focus.

Martin

The ratio of tanks to infantry is still high in most scenarios. Roughly CC2 level, though there are also some that have no armour in it. Now, as grognard myself I initially didn't like it but as I got to play more scenarios I realized it didn't annoy me as much as I think it would. It's just sooo much fun!

And then there is the powerful mission editor, where players can make changes to the forces present.

i played the demo mission mostly without giving any orders to the infantry squads. i tried managing the AT guns, but they fail to shoot at most targets i give them. so i leave them alone also...

i find myself micromanaging my tanks so they dont do stupid things. i leave my panther 20 seconds unattended and he leaves his ambush position and gets himself killed while he was on "dont move order"

so basically in this mission you watch how your battlegroup fights, looking what your soldiers are doing but not really taking part of it.

but even from a historical point of view i think thee are way to much tanks in this mission on both sides. in the seelow batttle the germans had like 2 AT-guns for 300 soldiers, and tanks were even more rare.

i think in a normal battle there should be MAX 2-3 tanks per side per battle. no reinforcements

Originally posted by seppDieter:

i find myself micromanaging my tanks so they dont do stupid things. i leave my panther 20 seconds unattended and he leaves his ambush position and gets himself killed while he was on "dont move order"

so basically in this mission you watch how your battlegroup fights, looking what your soldiers are doing but not really taking part of it.

There is the "stop" command and then there is the "Defend" command and then there is the "hold Position" command. The "hold fire" command is at the very bottom next to "Hold Fire". I have never had a problem with the "hold position" and "hold fire" commands. Never have I seen any of my units move while being ordered to "hold position" or shoot while being ordered to "hold fire". That is, until they panic. Once you issue a "hold fire" or "Hold Position" command, the buttons will stay lit.

Originally posted by seppDieter:

i played the demo mission mostly without giving any orders to the infantry squads. i tried managing the AT guns, but they fail to shoot at most targets i give them. so i leave them alone also...

but even from a historical point of view i think thee are way to much tanks in this mission on both sides. in the seelow batttle the germans had like 2 AT-guns for 300 soldiers, and tanks were even more rare.

i think in a normal battle there should be MAX 2-3 tanks per side per battle. no reinforcements

I found this too. After a while I would simply forget about my Infantry and just move my tanks. Half the problem is that because the battlefield is so big, it becomes tedious to track down each unit and make sure he's doing something of value. I like the idea of individual units but, on this scale, I don't know if it works because everything is so spread out, that when you are zoomed out to see it all, the icons are almost impossible to see (especially on higher resolutions) so you can't really find the person you are looking for.

Plus, the demo mission map (and I assume many others) are vast open spaces, you could crawl your units the entire distance, but man...that would take like 4 hours.

I just don't feel any personal connection to my units, so if they die, I don't really care. I have been able to beat the missions with just tanks because the small arms fire of the enemy Infantry can't do much to my tanks.

Originally posted by wokelly:

you guys do realize double clicking on any inf unit will select his entire squad, then you can move the squad around rather then the individual inf.

Wokelly from WWIIOL ? Just curious smile.gif

Can you also do the whole Ctrl+# to assign groups of units to numbers? I know it's more an RTS trick, but seems to apply to ToWs unit controls (imo)

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Yes, you can assigned groups. Either {control} or {shift}, I can't rightly remember from the top of my head.

Cool, that'll make it alot easier smile.gif

I havn't played the full game or even the demo, so I don't have the manual, hence lurking around here asking questions that may seem obvious to others smile.gif