demo mission victory

Lord_Simmox

certainly hard work,i spent a fair bit of time in the selection screen organizing what initial force to use

i decided on all 3 of the pak 40s,2 squads of panzerschrek squads,1 mg34,1 rifle platoon,and 1 panther.

i abandoned the AT guns at the start and ran into the trenches and hid and cease fire everyone til they got withing 500 yards or so

the panther had a nice hulldown posi just to the right of the bridge,popped him out to halt the enemy tanks everynow and then,til they got a gun hit on him,,still used him as a decoy,which let the AT guns get to work,

they got across the bridge through weight of numbers,but the 2nd wave of german tanks really gave em hell on top of the hill.

one thing i noticed

it doesnt appear you can view the battle ground after the battle ala CM?

this would be a nice little feature to allow the morbid to view the aftermath?that is of course if i didnt miss something?

@Simmox:

Nice work, but can you ansfer me a question?

Where do you place your MG-34 tripod?

And another question is, how do you managed the atack from the right of seelow. I remember there are comming 2xJS2 2or3 T34/85 and 2 platoons of russians bastards over the hills on the right side of the little village.

With 1 Panther? My tanks are out of AP ammunition after 10 minutes.

Edit: ok i play at "veteran" difficult, i alway play all games at hardest difficult.

I took as little infantry as possible, MG34, one PAK and 4 tanks. Put the tanks on the right behind the ridge and the PAK/MG34 on the left at the walls.

I didnt place the PAK well enough so it died quickly and two of my tanks also managed to move too much forward to get themselves engaged and killed off. My two remaining tanks stopped the bridge crossing and kept the flanking attempt at bay which enabled my first wave of reinforcements to come down and fight.

I ended up with two tanks(Panther and Jadgpanther) each having a handfull of HE round left and one Nashorn with tracks smashed up. Everything else was dead. IIRC losses were 68 men, 6 tanks and 2 guns v 177 men and 24 tanks.

CBR

@kettenhund

this is how i done it. Took a the beginning one squad back let them run back cross the bridge and let them in the trench near the houses just down the hill where your armor is.

Then rush the truck also to the trench en let my soldiers out en the two at one at the houses left and one at the houses right. Wespe between the barn and the house. by the time your forces are deployed let the wespe and the two at 's shoot at the tanks (and they will lose but they shoot one of two tanks)then i do nothing with my remaining inf let them fight with the russian inf and the tanks will roll by and destroy some units but carry on to the bridge. Then you get the message that you have an new order en more troops will arrive. i let them just stay there a they will begin shooting up al russian armor. the truck is rushed down and disembark and also to the same trench.

Then its waiting time. because the armor will come from the hills now your hill is higher so keep your armor there.(they have an better position then the russian tanks)

Shoot them up and in the mean time the russians killed all left in the trench for the bridge will go over but there is now enough firepower to kill them and they will die quickly and retreat .

So i think the best tactics is to keep them in the first minutes far away so the enemy inf will get shot by yours and the enemy tanks will only fire on your at's.

after they are destroyed it still takes them time to get over the bridge by then your reserves are there and they shoot them up.

hope this will help a little bit

I deployed all my forces this side of the bridge.

The artillery waves became mostly useless (the poor guys in the bunkers were left alone).

Put my infantry in the trenches with hold position and defend orders (just to play safe), and put the tanks behind whith hold orders.

Then the waiting game starts, just had to direct the tanks fire, and position the reinforcements in defensive positions.

I won in 48 minutes.

I took the following units

-Jagdtiger

-Jagdpanzer

-Panther

-StugIV

and the one Panzerchreck squad that you can't divest yourself of.

I setup the four tanks on near side of the river, right side, behind a hillock. This left them hidden from all approaching units. Within two minutes the first T34s reached the bridge and began to cross. I opened up with all four and disabled the leading T34 midway across the bridge leaving it obstructed.

The Soviet tanks were forced to reverse and move around the right flank where the river gives way to open ground. The only avenue of approach though is the open rail bed that has been cut into the hill side. With its narrow dimensions and high sides the enemy tanks have little room to maneuver (and none to flank). Further they are forced to come up almost singly which allowed me focus my four tanks on a single target.

My losses were minor... the infantry were overrun (I paid them no mind, dropped them in a courtyard and left it at that) perhaps 15 or 20 minutes in and my Stug was destroyed by an IS-2. Reinforcements weren't triggered.

Difficulty was set to the max.

Elliot,

I LOVE that approach. So you didn't engage the enemy armor with yours until they were on the bridge? Brilliant. Gonna load it uptotry that myself. I usually get the same units you had and try to getthem hulldown on the hills to the right. Mixed success.

L,

E

Thanks mate smile.gif The place was a serious graveyard by the 25 minute mark. Hulks everywhere.

I should add that I deployed one tank at the bridge and had it drive back to the others. In between I had it drive through all the trees and clear the LOS. Wanted to make sure I got the shot.

Tanks also want to rotate to face the nearest threat even if they can't see it. The hold command won't prevent this. I had to use the rotate function to keep them facing in the right direction. Without an overwatch or ambush order that was the best I could do.

[ April 19, 2007, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: EliotW ]