Lurking for a while, but had to throw in my .02

Jonesy777

I pre-ordered this game as soon as Battlefront sent me the email. I loved previous games by them and will no doubt love this one.

I have seen a bunch of discussions about the early download and I really thought it would happen about a week early. According to the website the date will be announced. Battlefront should have said you will be able to download a day or two in advance. Why be so cryptic here unless trying to make the buyer come up with a time in their head and get all giddy about it?

Second thing I wanted to bring up is that we are only a couple days out from release, however there are no signs of a demo. Demos are usually released at least a month ahead of the full game so people can get a feel for the game if they want to buy it or not. It really worries me that a demo has not been released yet for this product, and makes me asume that the game might not be as good as the developers want you to think it is.

From the videos I have seen about the game it looks somewhat boring right now, I really wish I had a demo so that I could put the actual game through its paces.

no we havent :(

But it most probably we come out tommorrow becaus e from what moon said here:

Pannekoek, I said that it was a day earlier for the last launch. I didn't say that it will be one day this time. Some people seemed to think that it would be weeks earlier though, which is where that other statement comes from.

Avwriter, I guess the thought that people would expect the download to be weeks earlier than the release date never crossed our minds. We said that it would be available earlier than April 19, and I'm sure we'll be more clear next time.

Of course considering how many pre-orders there are vs. how many people are posting here, it seems to me that most people either understood the announcement better or are more patient than you guys [smile] Either way, the waiting is soon over. Relax. [Cool]

Martin

As it may not be 1 day and it cant be 3 i hope and think it is 2 but i and dont know for certain.

Jonesy777 you are right. I don`t understand the BFC politics regarding this demo either. Everything was said about a pre-release and that the demo will come out around the release date.

But why is the exact date such a secret? I mean, the game was originally released last fall. What kept them so long for releasing a demo? Especially so close to the release of the game. For us pre-orderers it had no use, not even to raise the anticipation level. If the demo is out tomorrow and the full version the day after, maybe it`s like you said and not recommended to check the demo. ;)

Originally posted by Jonesy777:

I pre-ordered this game as soon as Battlefront sent me the email. I loved previous games by them and will no doubt love this one.

I have seen a bunch of discussions about the early download and I really thought it would happen about a week early. According to the website the date will be announced. Battlefront should have said you will be able to download a day or two in advance. Why be so cryptic here unless trying to make the buyer come up with a time in their head and get all giddy about it?

Second thing I wanted to bring up is that we are only a couple days out from release, however there are no signs of a demo. Demos are usually released at least a month ahead of the full game so people can get a feel for the game if they want to buy it or not. It really worries me that a demo has not been released yet for this product, and makes me asume that the game might not be as good as the developers want you to think it is.

From the videos I have seen about the game it looks somewhat boring right now, I really wish I had a demo so that I could put the actual game through its paces.

Agree with you here, alas the videos didn´t bore me! ;)

The game is gold, they don´t have to wait for "mass production" so why don´t just release the game for us who preordered?

I must admit that i feel a little "cheated"! When i read the "gold" announcement i thought i get it last weekend!

Not giving a demo early could be one of a few things...

1. The game is pap, they know it but dont want to put you off buying.

2.The game is awesome, they are worried they cant handle the volume of sales and want to spread peoples interest. Getting dedicated followers out the way, release a demo that draws in the non educated.

3.They value those who preordered and feel they should get first bite at a bit of ToW.

4.They are simply having trouble finalising whats in the demo. Going Gold has nothing to do with putting a demo together.

Personally, ill see the demo first, then decide if this game is up to the standards of what they brought us before. Remeber though, this is 1c's game not BFC's. BFC are polishing what was a game released in Russia to pretty average reviews. God i hope BFC have worked their magic on this one..

Steve

And that's the right tactic Steve smile.gif BFC always encourages people to check out the demos first, if that means that you wait a few days after it's available to purchase... well, what's the problem? It's not a limited commodity that you either buy immediately or you'll never have an opportunity to get smile.gif

Personally I don't think BFC has enough staff to handle supporting the demo before release on top of the other publishing duties that they have (testing, marketing, etc.)

Cameroon,

It would seem to me that putting a demo together would be one of the priorities if indeed the game is as good as they say it is? If I were putting a great game out there I would release the demo and get people to order the game from the rave reviews it gets.

Stone75, I don't think they would hold a demo back because they are afraid too many people would buy their game. If they truly had a great demo of a great game I would think it would have been released already.

I don't like being negative about a game that isn't released yet that I have even pre-ordered, however, it is just the feeling I am getting from no demo, and a last minute pre-release download.

Of course, there is the possibility that battlefront spent the last year and a half trying to get the game ready, and now want to get the game out as fast as they can, even before the demo based on the final version is ready.

Another thing i think battlefront has to think of is the wave of previews that will hit the web and game magazines in the next days, as soon as the editors try the gold release. That publicity is what sells games, and that is when they need to have a demo ready.

Have anibody read the previews of the beta around the web,has anibody played a battlefront game before...

Give battlefront and 1c company some credit, they have a possible blockbuster here, they have to do things right, they dont have millions of dollars to spent in publicity.

And the game was not released last fall, they were getting things ready last month, remember the multiplayer bug they found at last minute.

I a am usually a pessimist but you guys are incredible.

Originally posted by stone75:

5. BFC has a history of not releasing a demo until the same time as the full release. I think they have been saying for a long time that the demo would be available about the same time as the full game. If they release a demo early they have to deal with doing tech support on the demo instead of getting the game out the door.

I don't know the logistics of making a game available for download, but I imagine it takes a little coordination with the people who are going to host the file on the various servers, so that could be why they don't have an exact time of availability. Additionally, my expectation of an early download was that it meant those who pre-ordered would have a chance to download it a little earlyt before the servers got overloaded, not days before so we could play it before everyone else.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stone75:

5. BFC has a history of not releasing a demo until the same time as the full release. I think they have been saying for a long time that the demo would be available about the same time as the full game. If they release a demo early they have to deal with doing tech support on the demo instead of getting the game out the door.

I don't know the logistics of making a game available for download, but I imagine it takes a little coordination with the people who are going to host the file on the various servers, so that could be why they don't have an exact time of availability. Additionally, my expectation of an early download was that it meant those who pre-ordered would have a chance to download it a little earlyt before the servers got overloaded, not days before so we could play it before everyone else. </font>

Lack of a demo upset me, as it was promised a long time ago (by the developers, I recall). Regarding the tech support and whatnot extra threads a demo would produce, lack of a demo produces endless when-will-it-be-released and will-it-run-on-my-386 threads, so it really is a wash.

OTOH I can wait for the demo and then make up my mind, hopefully the end product is good and carries me over to the next CM game, maybe even the next WW2 CM.

Regarding the download for pre-orders... 2.5gb is a lot to download. Maybe the actual date was kept secret just to have a connection to the old BFC tradition of the night of the refresh monkeys. It's good to have traditions, no ? smile.gif

I really hope that is the case. I guess we will only know after the game is released because I think only then will we see a demo. I really think if the game is as good as they say it is they should have released the demo early to build excitement.

I really hope that is the case. I guess we will only know after the game is released because I think only then will we see a demo. I really think if the game is as good as they say it is they should have released the demo early to build excitement.

For god sake, they did not release a demo.

Because they did not have one.

They were making the game, they finished the game one week ago, now they are making the demo.

Heaven forbid they release a demo first so that we can actually see the game. I guess the other game makers are crazy for doing it that way. So sorry MikoyanPT that I would actually like to see the game before it actually comes out to see if I made a good investment or not.

They obviously have some free time to make two long videos on the game, from what moon says it is time consuming to do that. Why not put that time and effort into a demo instead of a video?

Heaven forbid they release a demo first so that we can actually see the game. I guess the other game makers are crazy for doing it that way. So sorry MikoyanPT that I would actually like to see the game before it actually comes out to see if I made a good investment or not.

They obviously have some free time to make two long videos on the game, from what moon says it is time consuming to do that. Why not put that time and effort into a demo instead of a video?

Do you really think they could release a demo with one person and one afternoon. :D

Moon did that videos, probably alone.

For making a demo you would need programers and time, i bet as we speak there are some programers in russia at 1c company working at the demo.

But i am not worried, when the demo comes out i will be too busy playing the game. In fact we all will. :D:D:D

Most demos released really early by bigger publishers are not actually representative of the final version anyway. They have bugs and less features.

BFC and their developers wait until the game is finished to make a demo so they can devote the time to make a really great demo that is fully featured and represents the finished product.

If you were worried about this game being a good investment you should have waited till a demo was released like many (most?) people here are going to do.

One thing to remember is the Big Publishers, for the most part, do not care about the longevity of their products. Get it out there, make a quick few millions off the hapless masses that have the attention span of a few weeks at best and then it off to the next glitzy, zero substance game. For them there is no budget to produce a demo after the fact because by then THEY DON"T CARE!!!!!

BF cares deeply about their products. It goes out when it's ready, demo made from a Gold release and patch's/updates come out for quite some time to polish their baby till it sparkles.

Just my 2 cents worth..

It was option #4 actually. We wanted to make sure the demo had everything we wanted in it, that it worked the way we wanted and that it was fun.

We never artificially delay things (patches, demo's, game releases) so if something is not out, its because it isn't ready.

Its really that simple.

I can confirm some details of the demo though.

You get 5 playable tutorial missions that cover the basic aspects of the game, controls, camera, stuff like that.

You also get one playable single player mission (no multiplay in the demo, sorry). The battle is played as Germans, is late war and you fight the Russians. It is also one of my favorites!

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

You get 5 playable tutorial missions that cover the basic aspects of the game, controls, camera, stuff like that.

Madmatt

I think it says in the game features that there is only 4 tutorial missions. I take it you guys made more of them? Always nice to have plenty of them to help players get use to the controls.

Edit: Hmmm, MadMatt is up late(he eastcoast I think) and active on the ToW forum. My guess, ToW goes live sometime Tuesday. Probably afternoon or evening, woohoo. smile.gif

[ April 16, 2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]