Game speed

theBrit

• 1 month later...

So there is no in game variable speed controls?

One speed fits all? I certainly hope and would assume their is a time compression component.

What about Multiplayer games? Can the host adjust in game speed. ie often in MP games you can advance to a higher game speed until maneuver elements make contact? Or slow things down when heavy combat occurs.

This feature can certainly reduce the winners often being the fastest to move units via their keyboard and mouse skills smile.gif

If you had time compression in a Real Time game it would be like the matrix with slow motion all over. Its Real Time ie a man walks at walking speed, drives with true life variables. Why would you even want it running slow, it would just look odd.

Steve

That maybe be true for a section leader but If I understand you maybe a company commander with a staff of one ;)

For larger scenarios it might indeed help issuing orders and what not...or when time periods where nothing is really happening. Not really concerned if my units look odd but more to the fact they are performing tactically as I have ordered them. Reduces micromanagement stress IMHO ;)

Not all players wish to play at a particular speed. Variable speed would be a great enhancement option.

Woo Tsu points to an comment on another thread I just found;

http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm

"Play the game between 1x and 1/8x speed. Selectable at the beginning of a game before the match starts and you also can lock the speed before the game starts. Plus you can change speed in mid-game if both parties agree on the change AND the speed wasn't locked beforehand"

@rcmp

there are multiple speed compression

1/1 1/2 1/4/ 1/8 and there is an pause option to give orders

i thought i read there where 8 speed compression times you CANNOT speed things up only slow them down.

dont know about the MP

Thats great! I was led to understand there was no time compression. Fact is I cannot react against a PC running at 2.5ghz from one side of the map to the other simultaneously. compressing time allows the game to keep flowing while giving orders and then back to real time once control is gained. Esthetically pleasing than always pausing to give orders. Pausing is more panic stop anyways.

I have been playing it for a while and have seen nothing that changes the game speed. Other than pause. And the "pause" button does not work in MP. What I have found though is that normal speed is perfect. After playing a few times and get the "yipes" out the speed of the game feels just right. Not so fast that it is a clickfest and not so slow that you are waiting for stuff to happen.

oh.......Thanks Elvis

That is disappointing though. Especially for larger scenarios. Not all play at the same ability or speed. I'm gald you don't find it a click fest however I wonder if all skill levels with the interface or mouse skills are exactly the same......

I doubt that introducing variable speed will make it to an addon. I would image that would take some significant programming?

Oh well.....have my fingers crossed. I'm sure the magic of BFC will shine through.

Originally posted by RCMP:

oh.......Thanks Elvis

That is disappointing though. Especially for larger scenarios. Not all play at the same ability or speed. I'm gald you don't find it a click fest however I wonder if all skill levels with the interface or mouse skills are exactly the same......

I doubt that introducing variable speed will make it to an addon. I would image that would take some significant programming?

Oh well.....have my fingers crossed. I'm sure the magic of BFC will shine through.

Maybe its just my style of play, but, if you want your units to survive (particularly your infantry) you WILL have to take it slow.

Besides that, you will usually get no more than a platoon of infantry at the most (squads are ~10 soldiers at a time), if that, on the map at any given time. So its not like there are many units to keep track of at the same time. Most maps that I have played are combined arms. There are few pure infantry maps...as of yet. And the AI infantry does a pretty good job of taking care of itself.

Variable game speed was one of things I originally asked 1C about but apparently since onscreen action is tied directly to the animations (in a rather unique way apparently, different even than in Il-2), only one speed was supported.

I agree though, the ability to be able to increase or descrease gameplay speed would have been nice.

Madmatt

"No pause in MP."

That may be a blessing in disguise. Can't you imagine playing multiple players and each one feels the need to hit the pause button every time he takes a sip of his tea? That could be the source of a lot of foot-into-monitor rage events.

Exactly. Also, all the MP battles I have played have been with samller forces than the single player ones. 5 armored vehicles and a squad of infantry, 6 armored and no infantry, 2 squads and a couple of AFVs..that type of thing.

It is a lot of fun. I had one battle where there was only 2 of us left and I still had 5 tanks and he had 1 and I lost them all.