Theatre of When?

grimtooth

thanks Matt. While you guys have been working hard on TOW and CMSF, I have been researching new computer components. Unfortunately, it looks like you guys may be shipping before my rebuilt computer gets assembled. So.....take your time, get it right :D (my story would change of course if it were the other way around)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you may be asking what would happen if i ordered my unit to fire on the German tanks anyway, even though I can't see them. If the player issues a targeting command against a unspotted unit, the command reverts to a area fire command, so there's no cheating here!

Are you serious?

For a non-hard target it is of course equivalent whether you fire HE directly or onto the ground it is on.

In fact, in CM there was no other mechanism to hit infantry (including guns) with HE than that the engine was firing at the ground next to the selected unit.

Redwolf,

True, you could still area fire with HE, but in both CM and in ToW, area fire is never as accurate as aimed-direct fire.

In both games we are faced with a dilema though. How do we allow the player the freedom to recon by fire, but not give him the ability to fire on unspotted targets with direct fire weaponry?

This forced "area fire" solution seems to be the most useful and workable.

There is one thing else to consider though, usually (although not always) the reason the enemy unit is NOT spotted is because of blocking terrain. In that case, even though I can order a area fire at say 700 meters (the position of the enemy unit) that fire is not going to magically pass through all the intervening terrain, but rather is going to impact into whatever is in the way. In some cases the AI will actually notify the player that such fire is simply impossible as the LOS-LOF is blocked too much even for area fire.

Madmatt

Hello Madmatt,

i just tried out the russian version of ToW. Well i just waited for nearly 3 years for this game.

And here are some important questions after playing it:

1. Why do players only have 3 Tanks!!! in Multiplayer?????

2. Why only 7 Maps without any Mapeditor?????

3 x 4 player maps, 1 x 6 player map and 3 x 8 player maps thats all???????????

Sorry we have 2007 game focus is more and more on the internet don´t u think u are wandering with this produkt in the late 90´s?????????????????

3. Why a Multiplayermap with neutral units that keep on firing on every other player??????????

4. Why is the detail level so low when u play from above to have a perfect overview????

You allways show screenshots from zoomed verry close but thats not the distance where players play.

5. To be honest the russian version cant be so much different because then u would divide the comunity in 2 parts with 2 different versions.

So what is then ur target with the western version?

The russian version is more likely like an alpha version the bug list is endless and the fun playing this game so far is by 1%

i say rework the product complete or put it in the bin sorry but thats not even worth a cent!!!!

sorry for maybe unpolite but im totally disapointed by the developers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was under the impression they know multiplayer is bugged and is being fixed.

Divide the community ? I was under the impression what is fixed for the west release is also patched into the east version.

I hate when people rant without reading a little first, why do you think its taking so much longer before west release? Because they are fixing it.

TBH most games these days disapoint on release with a few exceptions, i sometimes wonder is it worth playing games released 6 months ago, they are patched and cheaper smile.gif

Steve

Because they are fixing it
you believe ever crap they tell you untill u have given them their money and u start crying for patches....

russian version got 1 offical and 1 beta patch and the multiplayer part is unplayable even the netcode is like a 3 year old child has done it.

remember 3 years of developement and even pathfindig, unit behavoir etc. is something like Suddenstrike etc. had done better in the past.

this is not being the ultimate war game many dream of this is a bunch of crap. Combat mission is way better than this.

go buy it and cry out for patches i´m not buying this game.

i have way more fun playing coh than this one

What do you think that this title would be? It has been in developement for so long that even computers have gone through several generations of hardware.

Plus it has been altered several times to please the needs of different target audiences and distributors. No wonder it is a one total mess to be cleared out.

Kecks, you obviously haven't read the rest of this forum. Battlefront are putting a lot of work into making this game good, the Russian version that you play is not what will be released here.

BTW, why put 10 question marks behind a question when one will suffice?

Originally posted by Kecks?:

you believe ever crap they tell you untill u have given them their money and u start crying for patches...

Ok Kecks your concerns might have been valid but you attitude is not welcome here. I am sure BF would have answered yours (and now my) concerns but your childish attitude and poor arguement has lost you respect.

Calm down and rethink your post, and be more constructive....if possible!

Quote "you believe ever crap they tell you untill u have given them their money and u start crying for patches...."

No i read reviews on release and if it does well i buy it, i dont rant and rave about a game that is not released.

The reason its taking so long to get our hands on it is because BFC said the russian release needed more work before they thought it would be ready for a west release. So as it is they agree with you in some respect and are doing what they can to make a good product.

Have patience and review before you buy..

Steve.

The game comes with over 40 different maps already and most of the maps are actually about twice the size that the battle occurs on (by editing the main mission file you can select how much of a given map is "playable"), so you could certainly reuse them in different ways.

I am going from memory here but I think the maps are all about 3km by 3km in size, with an additional 1km by 1km that extends beyond that where the terrain is rendered in lower res (ex. billboard style trees instead of 3d ones).

In the map I took my recent blog pics from, I think the playable area in that scenarios was about 1500 meters by about 1000 or so, even though the map extended a great deal more in all directions. Because of the rain and overcast though, spotting was shorter than that. Had I wanted, I could have edited the mission file (by hand at this point, we are still trying hard to get the mission editor included) and allowed much more of the map to be playable, although due to the design and intent of the battle depicted, its pretty good as is.

Madmatt