Theatre of When?

grimtooth

This is getting humourous to say the least!

:mad: December issue of Armchair General (2006) stated "we" could download a 'working demo'of of TOW. Haven't seen it yet from Battlefront.

:mad: Now I recieve my March issue of Armchair General (22 January 2007) stating I can now buy my very own copy of Theatre of War for a mere $39.99 and it was RELEASED DECEMBER 2006!!?!!?

I suppose this is a Russian timeline? Perhaps?

Battlefront should give the correct release info before going public with a product that they can't present. Don't get me wrong with this gripe. I LOVE Battlefront's Combat Mission Series. Ask my wife, "Your still playing that old game again honey!? Come to bed dear!" The problem is I have been waiting and waiting and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Wha? Oh yeah, I eagerly await this fabulous game and yet still a little upset when the product doesn't show. Enough said!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by franz:

dont worry it will be out soon. There are numberous ads popping up all over WW2 related websites.

They will be costing money by the day. BF wont want to pay out dead advertising money for too long.

good point. i better get that new pc on order.

current:

amd 1.1

1gb ram

10gb disk smile.gif

128mb AGP x 4

i guessing this will struggle with TOW ...

im aiming for

intel core duo

2gb ram

100gb hd

256 pci express x 16

Wartime Command

That's all right I was 30 years old when they first advertised this game now I’m 40 1/2?! I even went to the 2003 games convention E3 in LA to do a story on this game that’s when Codemasters had it. I'm still waiting to finish my story on it?! 1C was supposed to put out a demo on it in 2003, that didn't happen. Then Codemasters started telling 1C it wasn't putting more money on it's project, and to go ahead and release the game and just do patch's, well thank god 1C didn’t want to put an unfinished project out there. There-for pulled the gaming rights from Codemasters or paid them off not sure which, as I lost interest after seeing the game get shelved. Then 1C started looking into publishing the game them selves and low and behold Battlefront.com decided to help. So here we are with a new title and supposedly a new game with full emersion of Combined Arms and tactics that this game looks like it will live on in infamy?

Maybe we will see a big update on new and interesting features to the game or updated movements?

Maybe we will see a demo in the near future.

Game Features

· Real Time Combat Simulation – Realistic shell ballistics, armor penetration calculations and damage effects coupled with destructible environments, trenches, fortifications and individually tracked weapons, equipment, ammo and vehicles

· 5 Historical Campaigns, each with unique units and equipment – US, UK, Soviet, German, French and Polish

· Over 40 historically accurate campaign missions based on real WWII battles

· Over 30 different maps designed using historical military documents and covering a variety of seasons, weather conditions and environments.

· 5 Single (non-campaign) Battles plus 3 Training scenarios

· Unique Role Playing Elements: soldiers gain experience and new skills as they progress though the campaigns

· Real World Military Tactics: Units fight using authentic tactical formations, realistic battle drills and operating procedures specific to their nationality

· Amazing Freedom of Action: Replace and reinforce gun crews, pick up dropped weapons, capture enemy equipment and even select specific weapons and ammo to use

· Advanced Individual Unit AI: Units intelligently react to changing battle situations and conditions. They will take cover, avoid obstacles and seek to gain the upper hand against their enemies

· Huge assortment of units, uniforms, equipment and vehicles: hundreds of different Dynamic Battlefields;

· Wage war in all four seasons over beautifully rendered landscapes. Watch as trees get knocked over by tanks, vehicles crush men and equipment under their treads, tracers stitch across no mans land and high explosive shells leave huge smoking craters from devastating Air strikes and Artillery Barrages

· State of the art 3D character animation and graphics

· Easy to use order system. Command your troops quickly and efficiently and keep tabs on their individual status with the innovate soldier monitor system

· Multiplayer support (Internet/LAN)

I sure hope that all the newest features there trying to implement will work and not break anything, if it does there's nothing a patch would'nt or could'nt fix....

[ January 24, 2007, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Wolfseven ]

Yes I too have been following this game since its Wartime Command days.... I must say I am so pleased BF have taken on this project and gone the realism route. I hope guys you are on to a winner here.

(visions of a graphically superior, updated in everyway Close Combat, fingers Xed)

I will say this; with all the ads out there, each day they don't get a working demo out is only alienating potential customers. If I wasn't eagerly awaiting this game, and saw an advertisement pop up about it being available...only to find out there's not even a DEMO I can try, I'd be pretty POd..

No alienating customers would be with a buggy demo or one without changes that were put in. We got one chance at making a demo, as first impressions are important, more important then sending out crap because you have waited 4 months.

We have had the title a whopping 6 months folks. It has been in development for years. Let us get it as close to right as possible. Will it have bugs? yep, never have seen a bug free game, but for each day we test, there are that many less to worry about. New features are going in that we thought were needed. Hang in there, we are in the home stretch.

Rune

franz,

The programmers are in Russia, the rest of us are in the US, Australia, Spain and Germany. Remember, we are just the publisher, 1C is the developer. In order to get in a magazine you have to book months in advance. You guys don't understand, but Battlefront is a whopping 7 people. I selected some people to help beta test, but they are volunteers, and I know this is going to be asked by someone, NO, I will ask you, do not ask me if you can beta test.

Anyway, the gun was not jumped, it was planned on being out...but after we reviewed the game, we found bugs, bad translations, and wanted some changes in. 1C agreed, and has to code, it is then sent to us to test. We find more things and the cycle repeats.

Why do you think games like Halo were advertised a full year before release? You go with what is on the schedule. When the release date nears, you have a choice, release it and have the users pay for being a beta tester, or delay the release untill you get things better. We will NEVER rush a game out, and is the reason we say it is done when it is done.

OK I have spent enough time here. back to testing.

Rune

Rune, thanks for the info. Please don't misunderstand, I don't think the folks who frequent this forum are the ones you should be worried about. We all (or at least most of us) have been following this game for a while, and through the limited amount of info we receive, understand that these things take time. Changing voiceovers, translations, and adding features/code is something that I'd venture to say the majority of members here understand takes time.

My point is, that by advertising to the general public that ToW is available for purchase is not going to help anybody. Granted, you had to book those ads "months in advance", I understand that. This game had been in Battlefronts lap for, what, 2 months when you booked the ads? That seems like an awfully optimistic goal.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I appreciate all the work that's going into this game. I'm one of the guys who is upgrading his PC just for this game. Been looking forward to it for a long time, and I know that Battlefront will support it well after it is released.

Anyway, continue testing, brave soldier. Keep up the good work, and do try to keep us in the loop when possible. Most of us just need a nugget here and a tidbit there to feel appeased. That's not asking too much, is it? ;)

Here here; good post Rune and once again thanks for taking the time to give us the big picture.

I'm still going to sit on the side lines here and wait becuase as soon as you release that demo. I will be up-grading my computer or building a new one.

Originally posted by Wolfseven:

Here here; good post Rune and once again thanks for taking the time to give us the big picture.

I'm still going to sit on the side lines here and wait becuase as soon as you release that demo. I will be up-grading my computer or building a new one.

Same here!! I will buy a new computer especially for ToW - after a few years with the old PC (and mainly CMBB) it seems to be the perfect cause.

I had to cancel an order of a PC already at the beginning of January. I do not have to tell you the reason ;) So please give us a few weeks before the actual release of ToW.

Uwe

Originally posted by rune:

No alienating customers would be with a buggy demo or one without changes that were put in. We got one chance at making a demo, as first impressions are important, more important then sending out crap because you have waited 4 months.

We have had the title a whopping 6 months folks. It has been in development for years. Let us get it as close to right as possible. Will it have bugs? yep, never have seen a bug free game, but for each day we test, there are that many less to worry about. New features are going in that we thought were needed. Hang in there, we are in the home stretch.

Rune

No disrespect to our Russian friends but they have a history of releasing less than complete games. It seems their QC is far lacks than that of Europe/US. I commend you guys at BF for realising this and attempting to give us, your customer, as perfect game as you can.TY

I agree there is no such thing as a Bug free game but that’s excepted nowadays. What isn't expected is a bug riddled game that gets bad press and disappoints thousands of customers, you've identified this which is wise.

These new features sound exciting, and knowing your pedigree I am sure what goes in will only add the icing on the cake for a game we have all been looking forward too.

Its close guys, I can feel it, so lets just bite the bullet and as BF say "Hang in there!"

Oh and thanks Rune for the heads up, little posts like yours go a long way. ;)

track,

Nope. The game will be released here and in Europe, as it is already is released in Russia, and the Russian version is being patched with a lot of the changes we requested. Beta testers are testing, coders are coding, and things are progressing.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

I selected some people to help beta test, but they are volunteers, and I know this is going to be asked by someone, NO, I will ask you, do not ask me if you can beta test.

Hey Rune, can I get on the beta test team? :D