Demo of (direct?) competitor "Officers" out

Reichenberg

I just saw that the demo for Officers is available since yesterday - even though their webside seems to be down for the last few days.

Here is the link:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_16732.shtml

Unfortunately my rig is too slow for such a recent game and I only wanted to get a new one when ToW comes out. (Probably next year in March then ;) ) Maybe someone of you out there is interested in Officers too and they can post some of their impressions of the demo version.

I am still debating for myself if Officers has the potential to be a good wargame or just another RTS clickfest - at least when they started they had something else in mind than the typical clickfest.

Uwe

Yup, I agree, I just played the demo last night. Nothing special about it. It's very RTS-like, although a tutorial would of been nice.

Is it just me or is it not possible to turn the cam in diff directions? Your just stuck moving the cam forward, back, left, and right. It just doesn't feel right. Holding down the middle mouse button didn't work for me.

The mouse center wheel changes camera point of view.

I tried it. It was OK but not my cup of tea. Lots of bazookas is each squad, AA is is very strong against ground targets. Artilley even stronger, first spotting round is usually dead on target. The AI is not that bad but nothing special, paradrops, air strikes, air recon, many RTS features you guys won't like. But in all not a bad game, I have not investigated the modability yet. The voice sounds are very anoying. A pretty game with lots of cool effects, Friendly fire isn't.

It does have an interesting LOS tool that looks like a radar screen, I have only seen it with tanks though.

E

Yes, the LOS is on everything except I did'nt see it on the infants, I love this style I'm a RTD guy and this is a great game. Those that are waiting for TOW its also a RTS, if ya'll did'nt know that already. Since I did play it at the E3. It's about the same as officers. A few problems or bugs I have ran into the start screen does'nt save your settings and they default back very annoying, you have to start all over.

[ December 07, 2006, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Wolfseven ]

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Downloaded it

Installed it

Played it

Deleted it

Ewwww, I feel icky! It's ****, it's incredibly ****. What is **** about it? Damn near everything!

Exactly - and worst of all, the voices and what they are saying is soo crappy and dumb ( I also can understand the german voices ), you gotta hear to believe - what were those developers thinking ?

I cannot imagine that anyone could buy and play such an awful game and not feel betrayed ......

Unbelievable ...... developing this turds cost money, how could you possible get money out of this ??

I just can't stop ranting, cause ALL the recent WWII games are so bad ......

Wolf, I totally agree with you! All of the recent WWII games are ****! This is why I have real faith for TOW, or should I say BFC, or WTC. One of the biggest problems these games have is the CAMERA work...they really suck. Every one of these recent games all seem SO ARCADY. I mean...build a supply dump in less than a minute or flags ALL OVER THE PLACE. Just make someting that is as realistic as possible...is that TOO much to ask for? I mean com'on...all this wasted money and time for JUNK! Well, here's hoping.

Originally posted by Sfox28:

Wolf, I totally agree with you! All of the recent WWII games are ****! This is why I have real faith for TOW, or should I say BFC, or WTC. One of the biggest problems these games have is the CAMERA work...they really suck. Every one of these recent games all seem SO ARCADY. I mean...build a supply dump in less than a minute or flags ALL OVER THE PLACE. Just make someting that is as realistic as possible...is that TOO much to ask for? I mean com'on...all this wasted money and time for JUNK! Well, here's hoping.

Yes, the Camera work in this stinkers is always especially awful and why don't they leave WW II alone with their base building crap - Dune and Command&Conquer with their setting were great games and the science fiction setting is suited for this kind of games, but not WW II.

After some changes are implemented from BF, TOW could be better, but I believe it, when I played it ....

Originally posted by Flanker15:

CoH and FoW weren't **** (well alot of people though FoW was **** but I liked it). There has been a lack of realistic WW2 stratgy games since CM though.

I just can't stand it, when the publisher or someone ALWAYS talk about realistic WWII game and realism this and hundreds of vehicles/weapons types that etc - THAT is just plain wrong - these games may be many things, but realistic is not one of them - not even close ......

Originally posted by wolf66:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flanker15:

CoH and FoW weren't **** (well alot of people though FoW was **** but I liked it). There has been a lack of realistic WW2 stratgy games since CM though.

I just can't stand it, when the publisher or someone ALWAYS talk about realistic WWII game and realism this and hundreds of vehicles/weapons types that etc - THAT is just plain wrong - these games may be many things, but realistic is not one of them - not even close ...... </font>

camera works fine

press middle mouse button and hold to rotate/pan view, scroll mouse wheel to zoom in and out

arrow keys to move around

simple and effective!

better than holding down the alt key in COH to pan/rotate IMO

and vastly superior to CMBO's arrow buttons and budge the screen to rotate etc smile.gif

although I don't mind M2TW's FPS camera scheme option, arrow keys forward and back, mouse to pan/rotate screen

---

I like the dynamic weather and time of day changes. COol.

wouldn't TOW be that much better with raining that starts and stops, sky clears etc ;)