27.10 drivers from Nvidia solve XP problems

pritzl

Gotta admit This seems like the drivers That the xp users have been looking for. CM works 100% for me now. No more white text glitches, and the briefing screen works too.(ie alt-B in 3d screen) I have a geforce 256 asus a7v via kt133 chipset, and an athlon processor running xp pro. Hope this helps someone.

Edit - Whoops !! I did not read that carefully enough. The one exception to using the Detonator drivers is the GeForce2 Go chips. The latest driver for Win2K/XP is 16.30 or 22.80 . DO NOT use the 27.10's with the GeForce2 Go's, there's a slight chance that it may work, but there's a more than likely chance that it is absolutely the wrong driver to install.

This driver should work with all TNT/TNT2/GeForce2/GeForce3 families. The Detonators are generic to the whole family of video chips newer than the Riva 128.

This driver should correct most of the problems for any of the GeForces in Windows 2000 and XP. I'm not sure as of yet how well it works with the TNT/TNT2 family to fix the issues that CMBO sees, but it may work with them too (at least with the 'white transparency' issue).

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Hello,

having problems with the Detonator drivers used on a Cougar Maxi Gamer VE (aka NVidia) on Win2K, like flickering and random lock of CM (locking the PC as well), I have installed the 27.10 drivers and then DirectX 8.1.

the diplay adapter did not get any 3D capability it had with the 23.11 drivers and of course CM could not recognize the actual resolution and ran in 600*480.

So I had to re-install the 23.11 driver but stil faces the risk of random lock and FSAA.

Any clue ???

Thanks in advance.

bruno - You probably would have wanted to install DirectX 8.1 first. What was your previous version of DirectX ? Also, it's been suggested that your remove/uninstall your current NVidia driver before applying the latest 27.10's. I don't know why that may be necessary, but several people have had to do it in order to get all the benefits of the driver.

schullenraft,

thans again to spend some time of yours to answer my questions.

i had installed DX 8.1 before switching to the 27.10.

now i have some doubt : to what adapter my Cougar maxigamer VE card (installed previously w/Win98)is equivalent to in Win2k ?

so far i got the Nvidia TNT 64 adapter and had then the problem of 3d acceleration disabling.

then I tried TNT 2 but the system tells me the adapter canot be started.

do you know the equivalence ? maybe my problem comes from there ...

bruno - your Guillemot Maxi Gamer Cougar VE is based on the NVidia TNT2/M64 video chip. The difference with this chip compared to other TNT2's is that it has a 64-bit wide memory bus rather than 128-bit. Otherwise the hardware is the same in terms of 3D capability.

As suggested earlier; you may need to completely remove your current video drivers (and install a generic 'SVGA' video card), reinstall DirectX 8.1 and then install the NVidia version that want (27.10 with Win2K) - with some requisite reboots between several of these steps. 'Completely removing' can be a bit hard since you may have to find any of the .INF files that Windows will read and then attempt to install drivers with. You would also have to find all the related drivers that have been stuffed in the the Windows subdirectories. You can look into your extracted drivers to find some of the file names to search for (many will start with 'nv..' or 'nv4..', .DLL and .SYS files are what you'll be looking for).

Here's Guillemot's support for your particular card. The FAQ's near the bottom can be quite helpful:

http://us.guillemot.com/support/byprod.php3

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Schrullenhaft,

This time it worked ! thanks so much. Indeed I had some problems deleting all the nv4 related files but I finaly managed to come back to SVGA and follow your advice and now everything seems to be all right.

For info, the 27.10 download has disappeared from the 3DChipset website (fortunately I had downloaded it before).

If you are as competent at CM as you are for PC support, it would be an honor for me to PBEM against you ... Just let me know (vazquezbruno@aol.com).

Bye.