Compared to CM

Gamer123

I have bene playing Combat for about 3 years now and have always been intrested in militray tactics and battle in the secodn world war.

I am very interested in buying the game when it is released. Now there are obvious differences to CM, like teh graphics which are wayy better.

It looks to me like the infantry are represented by single men, so i was wondering what the cap is on troops, is it possible to fight with whole companies and battlions like you could in CM?

Also can you choose the condition of your troops before you go into battle, and there moral and loadout?

I am also wondering about wether you can enter buildings and what are the years of war that the game covers, does it cover all of the war?

IS there going to be regulary released pacthes for the game adn regular support and improvements?

Thanks

I see a few people mentioning the amount of troops they'll be able to control, IMO, as TofW is in real time you'll be able to control less units than in CM:** as you don't have the benefit of the "pause" every minute, and all the planning time you require.

Sh!t, I find it difficult to issue orders to a company in CM:** with a 2 minute restriction in orders time let alone in RT, whilst "under fire" so to speak.

TofW will be much more realistic and "dynamic". smile.gif

I'm sure controlling squads or "split squads" will be more common than micro-manging individuals, otherwise the battle might be over before the 1st couple of platoons have been given their detailed orders.

Time will tell.

From what it sounds like I Theatre of War will be campaigns with forces already configured per battle is my guess. The Graphics look great and is a large improvement over CM series.

It does not sound like you will be able to edit anything, Names of troops, formations, and there is no editor....so far. I will continue to most likely play the CMBB and CMAK series until there are editors. I guess I just like to be able to change the course of history and dislike playing pre-set campaigns that have only one ineveitable end.... success for the Allies. LOL smile.gif

I guess im a fan of What IF!!! anyways we will see where the great people of Battle Front takes us with there most excellent new addition.

There will be a mission editor - as editing xml files is the way to handle it in ToW. So you can change forces, settings and so on.....

Although there will be no map editior included. Battlefront and 1C are thinking to include a full editor (not only xml) in an add on. This way editing scenarios is easier and more self explanatory. But I am not sure, if a map editior will be included then.

Uwe

There are already several threads about this, but the short answer is that Combat Mission and TOW are not even remotely the same. If they were, why would we bother with TOW since we are almost done with the improved Combat Mission and are still selling the old one? :D Having them be different is therefore a very good thing for everybody.

The better comparision is between TOW and Close Combat.

Steve

I think a lot of people are like me. They are excited by the graphics of TOW but would like it to have as much of the goodliness of CM as possible.

A new CM with TOW graphics, optional orders system (CM orders phases or real time with pause), a campaign editor with experience levelling and equipment salvaging played on a large strategic front would be close to nirvana.

Daydreaming aside i'm still keen to judge TOW on it's own merits. It defniately deserves at least that much.

I totaly agree with Spindry69, that would be most excellent. I do think ToW will do very well, and am still excited for its release. However having an improved CM would be very, very nice. I love chess, and tactical thinking and being able to change everthing about.

Thanks Battlefront for all of your hard work for consumers like myself and thousands of others!

Juergen

Originally posted by jock curran:

and what's this about a new improved Combat Mission????/ Have I missed something?????

Please tell!

CM: Shock Force is the CMx2 engine. The first version (Shock Force) will be modern combat. It will then be ported over to a CMx2 WWII game, with like 3 or 4 expansions.

BFers, correct me if I am wrong, things change so much around here

Originally posted by Reichenberg:

There will be a mission editor - as editing xml files is the way to handle it in ToW. So you can change forces, settings and so on.....

Although there will be no map editior included. Battlefront and 1C are thinking to include a full editor (not only xml) in an add on. This way editing scenarios is easier and more self explanatory. But I am not sure, if a map editior will be included then.

Uwe

Ahh good news smile.gif