Small Arms....

Lanzfeld

Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

The entire German squad was based around this pivitol weapon and, to a lesser extent, the US squads as well.

Right, but IIRC in CM1x MGs of squads, haltracks and tanks never jammed, only the ones of the MG teams, quite unbalanced if I think about it now (or I didn't pay enough attention and the others do jam as well smile.gif )

Originally posted by moneymaxx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

The entire German squad was based around this pivitol weapon and, to a lesser extent, the US squads as well.

Right, but IIRC in CM1x MGs of squads, haltracks and tanks never jammed, only the ones of the MG teams, quite unbalanced if I think about it now (or I didn't pay enough attention and the others do jam as well smile.gif ) </font>

oh, and when Lanzfeld - rightly so ! - talks about machine guns jamming, I talk about reloading and barrel change...!

regards,

M. H. [/QB]

Well.....I agree that we should simulate barrel changes as well but my point was that we had MG jamming in previous games and no barrel changes but now we have neither. We are going backwards here! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

oh, and when Lanzfeld - rightly so ! - talks about machine guns jamming, I talk about reloading and barrel change...!

regards,

M. H.

Well.....I agree that we should simulate barrel changes as well but my point was that we had MG jamming in previous games and no barrel changes but now we have neither. We are going backwards here! :rolleyes: [/QB]</font>

M Hofbauer,

Are you telling me there was actually a weapon worse than the excecrable Chauchat (sp?) foisted by the French on the AEF during WW I? If so, that's quite an, er, accomplishment. While we're at it, it's just as well this game isn't set in the desert. ISTR the Italian had an MG with oiled cartridges.

Regards,

John Kettler

"ISTR the Italian had an MG with oiled cartridges."

Oh dear god that brings back horrible memories.

"Gun-Grog.. "

Far better. But I'll settle for that.

"....(poor quality steel had been used which warmed up too much which in turn heated up the ammo and let cartridges ignite prematurely)."

Nope, if the firearm overheated top the point of cooking off rounde before they were even fired, the wood would be smoking and the shooter would be burning their hands! But your next sentence was accurate.

"...the cartridge casing was too long for the opening in the gun so that frequently the spent casings jammed the extraction port."

The distance between the shoulder of the casing (the bump before it narrows) and the chamber is called headspace. Too much head-space will allow expanding gases, burning powder, and bits of molten metal to fly back into the shooter's face.

Too little and you have a fast burning powder, with a solid object in front of it, with no where to go. Literally, a bomb.

"...as if all that wasnt enough, the overall workmanship of the fabrication of both weapon and ammo was very poor which added to the frequent malfunctions, jams and accidents..."

That about sums it up right there: Quality Supervision. Similar problem happened with 1903 Springfields, Rock Armory, etc. The workers thought they were experienced enough not to need thermometers while heat-treating the metal. Which resulted in the catostrophic failures of the Springfields, only 2 resulted in the deaths of the shooter.

One other thing that was overlooked was the open magazine for the Chauchat. That's just asking for disaster, and it's a HORRIBLE idea. Open spaces allow dust, dirt, grime, oil, and other objects to screw up the works.

for what its worth if you have to include a jam -if its realism you want- it all relates to time off the trigger- therefore wouldnt you need to be specfic about what jam it is ie would it be a double feed- 5 secs to clear- drop the mag - new mag cock and fire. or faulty primer 3 secs to clear- recock - fire. or ripped rim- 30 secs to 1 minute to clear- unload insert seating tool and remove cartridge reload and fire- all same wether small arm or .50 cal, so how much realism do you need- i say its not needed.

A double feed would take less than 2 seconds to clear, a jammed casing....pick up another rifle.

Get a dud? You learn to work that bolt on your rifle a hell of alot faster than 3 seconds when ur on a 2 way firing range.

It'd be a nice little tidbit to add but I'm not sure the dev team is going to go that far in the design.....maybe a modder will come along and do it. But we'll have to wait and see for that.

ok so:

-------------------------------------------------

1) No weapons jams will be modeled

2) No barrel changes will be modeled

3) No smoke other then eye candy will be modeled

4) No building occupation will be modeled

5) No vehicles bogging down will be modeled

6) No onboard mortar team.

-------------------------------------------------

In their defence it will give the developers something to offer as an add-on or for TOW2 ... sounds like realism is a major feature of this product already .... first version cant be perfect, may as well get it out there, make a bit of money and make it even better on the second run.

Scott