A historical note on crewing enemy guns...

Hpt. Lisse

'We had taken the city of St. Côme-du-Mont and all the high ground surrounding it. We re-formed our units and dug in on a static line of defense on the high ground overlooking the river. Two troopers had one of the 88s that had been firing on us and along with two German prisoners turned it around and pointed it toward Carentan across the river. It was a large field type with oversized casings that had to be loaded after the projectile. While digging my foxhole I casually watched the troopers. It didn't dawn on me what they were doing, but they took a shell casing, filled it with small powder bags and tried to fit the projectile in the end of it. The casing was so full that they pulled some of the powder bags out and finally got the whole works in the breech of the big gun.

Whether the German prisoners knew what was going to happen or not I don't know, but they gave no sign of it. Suddenly, one of the troopers yelled, "Now, Hitler, count your children," and pulled the lanyard. There was a hell of an explosion and when the smoke cleared a portion of the blacktop road was torn up and the whole rear of the gun was destroyed. The barrel lay on the ground and the four men had disappeared, except for one German leg with boot still on it. They never knew what hit them.'

"Curahee!" by Donald R. Burgett. Page 138 of the paperback.

Ok, Im lost here.

So its not really an 88? But probably a 105mm or 150mm? They just say "88" to describe all big guns shooting at them? 88s do not have seperate loading ammunition like some bigger bore guns do. Thats what this "large field type" gun sounds like it had; seperate loading ammunition.

I guess the "88" was on the side of the road? And it was packed full of propellant, more than should be?

And the German soldiers were sitting next to it, or close nearby?

And I guess the lanyard had about 1000' of rope tied to it (give or take a few hundred feet)?

Am I even close?

Aaaah the troopers blew themselves up too.

Got it.

Thats the part I was not getting. It didnt occur to me that someone might not understand that you can overfill the breech. Or that an explosion goes in all directions (unless of course its a shaped charge).

[ August 24, 2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: gunnersman ]

Originally posted by Denwad:

gunnersman even a shaped charge blows up in all directions

Denwad, "up" is only one direction. Even a shaped charge explodes in all directions. tongue.gif

Just watched a "Yes, Prime Minister" episode and had to express my "Inner Wooley".

Originally posted by Andreas:

Not necessarily, but all Germans, being Ueber, spoke fluent English, French, Russian, and Kisuaheli.

All the best

Andreas

But not Yiddish. Thus the Allies cunningly wrote the instructions for every cannon and tank in Yiddish. Unable to use enemy equipment, the Germans lost the war.