A realism question

Rak

Hello battlefront, firstly I congragulate you for taking over this great but slow going project. Thanks to the Codemasters from the start :rolleyes:

I've been reading the Armchair General interview and something concerns me. In the interview you said you crewed a KV-1 with the crew of a PAK gun. Isn't this unrealistic? So are we gonna crew every vehicle even by the most irrelevant soldier? Crews only should be able to interchangeable between their classes, tank crew to tank crew etc.

While at the moment there are no restrictions (that I know of) with regard to recrewing, it is still not advisable to use "the most irrlevant soldier". The reason is that all soldiers are rated for various skills and if you take, say, a regular grunt who can use a rifle but doesn't know how to operate a gun and put him as a gunner into a tank, then you're not going to be happy at all.

Having said that, we're still bouncing off various ideas internally on how to increase realism here without taking out all the fun.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

While at the moment there are no restrictions (that I know of) with regard to recrewing, it is still not advisable to use "the most irrlevant soldier". The reason is that all soldiers are rated for various skills and if you take, say, a regular grunt who can use a rifle but doesn't know how to operate a gun and put him as a gunner into a tank, then you're not going to be happy at all.

Well, if you take that by the word then you can turn a green Panther into a crack Panther by putting in a crack 50mm mortar crew smile.gif

A think a real issue is the line between command and control. there are free possibilities.

1) Allow people to put anyone anywhere, and let them perform realistically, even if that means they are crap.

2) Have some kind of System that only lets guners man guns and drivers drive, so a field gunner can't drive a tank even if ordered, and a tank driver can't fire a field gun and

3) (My favourite) You can order anyone to do anything but the less skilled they are at it, the less likely they are to do it, so if you tell a driver to man a field gun he will if you stand beside him, but the minute you move off he'll say "Sod this", and bugger off.

In short you can order people to do anything no matter how unrealistic, but the more stupid it is the less likely they are to do it.

It's like ordering your men to rush an MG42 across an open field, after the first burst they will be on their bellies and no matter how muchh you shout for them to get up and charge they just won't.

Why, because you've crossed that line where, following an order is suicide, which is what I hope will seperate ToW from other RTS's.

Currently it is option #3 - youi can do whatever you want (and pay for foolish decisions).

Put infantry grunts to man a gun and it will probably miss 8 times out of 10 even from point-blank range, plus loading times would be much longer.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

One question leads to another ...

All this freedom regarding swapping of weapons and re-crewing stuff ... will it be exploited by the enemy (strategic) AI, also?!??

Best regards,

Thomm

Yes. I have seen with my eyes AI soldiers manning the gun that was strafed by my ground attack plane killing the crew. As an example.

Hehe... well, wait until you see my AAR which I just finished (and some of the other guys are preparing others, too). In mine which should go up any day now, you will see the enemy make a run for an AT Gun that they abandoned at the same time as my grunts decide to do the same smile.gif A wild firefight ensus with grenades and all that. Cool to watch, and it should answer the question if the AI will use this feature, too smile.gif

Martin