Gunboats

Imperial Grunt

Picture a ship off the coast in a water map, then unloading a huge barrage of direct-fire artillery! I think this is a cool idea, and moddable. Just make a battleship/gunboat chassis, make it hover- LOW so it looks like a naval ship and not a hovercraft, and give it literally no thrusterspacing so it can't go on land.

Artillery, Poesel's nebelwafer rocket thing, ATGMs, 120mm AP main gun, 90mm guns(Dual!), AAA batteries, etc...it can all go onto the gunboats for water/island maps.

With the infantry squads and the sapper teams, supported and transported by gunboat varients, you could conduct an amphib assault of an island base, cap the AAA defense tower, then bring in heavy armor by air, etc...

This would make for a great island hopping campaign and it could be combined with regular land warfare as well. I think it would be alot of fun.

Hovercraft can transport infantry - take a look at the Styx in the Zoo. And the Hurricane carries a plasma mortar, one of the biggest guns in the game. Water is also the natural environment for hovers. Always full speed, no bumps (at least in DT).

So take a Hurricane, an Ariel and a Styx loaded with two inf teams (5 players in total!) and do your amphibian assault. That will be a hard time for a defender...

The difference is that we could have fast and powerful gunboats. This wouldn't be too unbalancing, since they could only go on water. An only water transport might be allowed to be far faster than the current hovercraft. Instead of having an amphibious craft, we would have a water craft.

Oh yeah, the Styx. I have not played with that yet. Still, a few gunboats to operate with the Styx hovercraft would be useful. Additionally, the gunboats could have more armor than the hovercraft.

Too bad there are not "embark" and "disembark" commands that the infantry would follow. It would allow a player to mount up a bot squad in a bot vehicle, move somewhere, and then dismount.

That would be great way to get the soon-to-be sapper teams inside a base as well as for amphib assaults.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with using amphibious hovers as gunboats is that they are very slow in the water. A true gunboat could go much faster. And as to Toby, the density is a good idea (water mines? depth charges?) but for a boat I can't see a way to get an engine to work...