Ramses R7 W.I.P

Chilibird

"A light tank armed with a 90 wouldn't be a huge threat to the thor and appollo but would be hell to all the light vehicles... bit like a cv9040 "

Thats hardly a niche. The battlefield of DT is lousy with things that are hell to light vehicles.

besides which, isn't the apollo already considered a light tank?

-Joe

I think "light tank" refers to armor weight/thickness. For this reason, the Ramses is a long-range battle tank, as its gun would be far too effective vs the Apollo's 120 mm gun to be considered a light tank.

Now then, I made a few changes, ect. I got too lazy to put it in DT, so these are sketchup models. Once we have this whole mess sorted out, then I'll actually put it in DT.

Current changes move the track wheels around a bit, and redesign the track housings, helping with the invisible track problem, more 'tankish' and lowering them closer to the ground.

picture2hh1.png

picture1ti3.png

picture3tz6.png

picture4hg8.png

picture5pk7.png

[ October 17, 2006, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: IcemanUSA ]

Looks good Iceman. Looks a lot more believable too. Just for reference, how high is this tank? It's either mighty low-profile or a lot wider than an Apollo, for example.

Either way, I get the impression that dropping artillery on this tank would knock it out, but that horizontal shots would have difficulty penetrating the armour.

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

Looks good Iceman. Looks a lot more believable too. Just for reference, how high is this tank? It's either mighty low-profile or a lot wider than an Apollo, for example.

It's about comparable to the Thor MBT in both height and width.

Dropping artillery is what I think will be the ideal way to knock this thing out. Granted, it's armor will not be that heavy, so if a Thor, or even an apollo, can get within range, it will be able to take it out. Of course, Ion guns will also probably be pretty effective against this thing.

I like that a lot better, Ice. The profile is a lot more angular and throws impacts the right way, now.

The only thing that concerns me is the front and rear of the tread sheaths. You might want them to be raised up just a smidge, as I can see it having some trouble with slopes with high bend or obstacles. Possibly not an issue in DT, but hey, we're perfectionists. smile.gif

You've got a great idea running here, Iceman. The fixed weapon platform will be something new for sure. Keep the larger ammo since the sense I'm getting from your write up is an anti "heavy" armor vehicle.

Dark_au: Your last post is a better example of constructive critisizm. Iceman is developing this of his own free will; he doesn't need beat with a club from anybody. Keep it nice and we can all play in this sand box together. Keep up the hate mail and people will stop listening to you.

That's just a side effect of the UV map. I'm trying to figure out where the line is that is causing it, but that'll be gone.

Though, if I read that differently, you're saying to bring the two corners that are angled foward back to be parallel with the back?

Aittam-> Yep, but I added something since these screenshots were taken. There are now 'track guards' near the front and back of the tracks. Gives it a more 'tankish' look.

I also finally got around to lowering the bottom of the chassis tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...

You can use Sketchup and you will need Blender and other things. But we have not yet managed to get everything together and its not that easy.

We will try to provide some howtos when we are finished, so patience smile.gif

Dunno about the full-client, but its worth the money anyway.

Heh, hopefully you didn't think I was sounding impatient.. I was merely asking some questions.. mostly to Iceman since it's his model here, but whatever. ;)

I downloaded Blender for OSX but I'm having issue getting it to run so I haven't played with it yet, but I have a good deal of experience with 3DS MAX and 3D Studio back in the day so I'm looking forward to playing with it.. especially looking at the texture baking stuff out now.

Iceman - I like the improvements of the design. The initial design looked like a light tank and the diameter of the barrel didn't convey lots of power to it. I'm really liking your new design and think it'd be a fun, if tricky, vehicle to play.

Are flying vehicles able to be made with jammers, weapons, etc?

I think it'd be fun to have a EW scout ship that could drop an infantry unit in under the enemy's noses.